Forum Advice

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Because it is the manner in which it is usually done where one group is pitted against another. Not human rights for all but only the right's for one's favoured groups.

*Grabs the wheel and turns back hard towards the road*

The SL avatar rights!! The only ones that matter!\o/

Viva Revolution!!  Or as Doug Heffernan would  say it, Revolu'shiown.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

For years people on the forums have said that not many frequent here. It's a tiny slice of SL and mostly oldies hang here. Advice had been given regarding that you won't find research answers here for a college paper etc. 

So, with all that mind, why all of a sudden are the forums such a big deal? Why say that the forums are now important as weight? Why are they different from the last diatribe that was given to University students that included to go in world and do research?

One argument says the forums are not especially important or not a big slice of SL.

Another argument says the forums are a great sociology platform and can affect SL in how they run it.

Same people with two different arguments. 

*Scratches head*

I get it though. I love to talk and debate. I have a big mouth and I use it. However, we can't bring stuff into someone else's private business when it's not wanted. No matter how much we want to do it. 

Let's set up discussions in world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

*Grabs the wheel and turns back hard towards the road*

The SL avatar rights!! The only ones that matter!\o/

Viva Revolution!!  Or as Doug Heffernan would  say it, Revolu'shiown.

Well it is about S/L avatars. Avatars are people too! Are you trying to deny that they are????!!

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Well it is about S/L avatars. Avatars are people too! Are you trying to deny that they are????!!

Are you suggesting that there is some being  out there somewhere outside of this world that controls my every move?

Poppycack.. I would have said that word how it really is said ,but for fear of the word filter I went with Cack instead..

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

When one is angry at specific peoples and groups for an extended period and even look for them to leave or be otherwise sanctioned, they are typically known as an enemy, 

Yeah, orrrr... they are just typically known as pains in the butts. ?

• Like 5

Have to say, I really wanted to start a thread about the passing of Olivia Newton-John only because she was a huge favorite of my step-daughter.  

It's threads like that or others that people have started 'just because' that I'll sort of miss.  They were almost always friendly and a place to reminisce about whatever the topic was about.  As I said at the beginning of all this, SL (and the SL forums) will get pretty boring if all one ever talks about or discusses is SL.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Maybe! We'll see.

I think, though, that we're far more likely to see a bland "deadening," as Kiera and Seicher have suggested, rather than a progressive echo chamber. It's just an impression, but it seems to me that most of those most fervently embracing the changes here are emphatically not those whom I (or probably they) would term "progressives." (I could produce a half dozen instances, but for obvious reasons will not.)

The fact that so many people want me and others to just stfu suggests, maybe, that complacency and happy acceptance of "the way things are" is not a notable component of the ideologies of social justice and progressive thought.

It's great to discuss and provide things for people of differing views to chew on. We don't want you to shut up or others, but this is not the place for it. The issue is this forum is owned by a private business that doesn't want worldly issues on it. It creates too much drama and labor costs to moderate.

Come on, Scylla, you're a very intelligent woman. You know this. However you won't take no for an answer and want to keep discussing it to hopefully sway LL's mind. That is the issue, we need to respect their private business decisions as their right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Have to say, I really wanted to start a thread about the passing of Olivia Newton-John only because she was a huge favorite of my step-daughter.  

I think if we were to make a thread regarding a creation dedicated to her, and invite conversation toward the topic while remaining slightly inline with SL it would be acceptable.  Just toss up a few pictures in a room, and I think it should be safe so long as the thread does not get derailed.

"Show your SL appreciation for Olivia Newton-John"

[picture]

[picture]

Insert text here

It is a cheesy way of having to do it, but it retains the SL related theme to it all.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's threads like that or others that people have started 'just because' that I'll sort of miss.  They were almost always friendly and a place to reminisce about whatever the topic was about.  As I said at the beginning of all this, SL (and the SL forums) will get pretty boring if all one ever talks about or discusses is SL.

I actually learned of this on the music thread here where someone introduced an interview of Olivia by citing the news; but I felt trapped because I could not say anything in response.

You have described perfectly what the forum meant to some, and @blissfulbreezeshould read this for an answer to her question.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, blissfulbreeze said:

It's great to discuss and provide things for people of differing views to chew on. We don't want you to shut up or others, but this is not the place for it. The issue is this forum is owned by a private business that doesn't want worldly issues on it. It creates too much drama and labor costs to moderate.

Come on, Scylla, you're a very intelligent woman. You know this. However you won't take no for an answer and want to keep discussing it to hopefully sway LL's mind. That is the issue, we need to respect their private business decisions as their right. 

Oh, I have absolutely no hope of changing LL's mind. It is, as I've conceded, and as you say, entirely their decision, and I am under no illusions whatsoever that anything I say or do (including leaving) is going to have any impact on that decision whatsoever.

I am interested in the effects of that change, and in what will happen to the place now. Those are ongoing and still indeterminate.

But seriously, rest assured: none of this, from my perspective anyway, is about "protesting" the changes. That would be utterly pointless.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Istelathis said:

I think if we were to make a thread regarding a creation dedicated to her, and invite invitation toward the topic while remaining slightly inline with SL it would be acceptable.  Just toss up a few pictures in a room, and I think it should be safe so long as the thread does not get derailed.

"Show your SL appreciation for Olivia Newton-John"

[picture]

[picture]

Insert text here

That's all true and would probably fall into line with the new Nothing But SL stuff rule.  I'm just not going to bother.  That I even had to think about HOW I could post it just leaves me feeling sad.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

Are you suggesting that there is some being  out there somewhere outside of this world that controls my every move?

Poppycack.. I would have said that word how it really is said ,but for fear of the word filter I went with Cack instead..

Are the one's posting here an extension of their inworld avatars or their avatars an extension of the one's posting here? You know why I post here in the S/L forums is because I have an inworld presence here and I like to have some input into what goes on as it affects that. For years I did the same in Opensimulator and have actually restarted my own grid there as I see that my voice here is being increasingly limited with new policies. As a result of restarting my own grid, I will also start to re-involve myself with the various forums and sites that chatter about those grids. Unlike some, I know where the people in Opensim are so it's not really much of a problem. I'm maybe unique in the regard of having an alternative option if the Lab starts limiting us too much but maybe more will start looking for alternatives too. I don't know but bottom line for me is that I like conversing with the people that are in the same world as I am. So the Lab saying I should take certain conversations elsewhere does not sit overly well for me.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, blissfulbreeze said:

Newsflash...LL doesn't care if me or anyone else leaves the forum. It's useless to throw that ultimatum around. Some people need to get over themselves. We are dispensable. 

3 minutes ago, blissfulbreeze said:

However you won't take no for an answer and want to keep discussing it to hopefully sway LL's mind. That is the issue, we need to respect their private business decisions as their right. 

Saying "we" have the right to vote with our feet, ie. leave here, isn't about "getting over ourselves" or at least it wasn't when I mentioned it, nor do I think it was Solar's, whose post I replied to. It is simply a matter of fact. There are a few options: Stay and silently comply to the changes (and whatever intended or unintended consequences fall from that); stay and vocally petition, as (often paying) customers to a company; or leave (the forum or SL, but I think most were saying "forum."). That's kind of the only options.

There is also taking "no" for the answer but yes, hoping to achieve a different outcome. Yup, sometimes that's just bashing one's head on the wall. Until they decide, "You can't talk to us about this any more," as is also their right as a private company, then... that's one of three viable options.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, blissfulbreeze said:

That is the issue, we need to respect their private business decisions as their right. 

It is their right as owners. And I've already said that I may be wrong in my belief that we need some RL here on the forum too, and that there may be a bigger picture I don't see.

But remember, we (the residents) pay their salary, and if they do things that make too many people unhappy or reduce important participation inworld then it could be detrimental to all of us.

It's a mutual arrangement. The ball is not totally in their court.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Are the one's posting here an extension of their inworld avatars or their avatars an extension of the one's posting here? You know why I post here in the S/L forums is because I have an inworld presence here and I like to have some input into what goes on as it affects that. For years I did the same in Opensimulator and have actually restarted my own grid there as I see that my voice here is being increasingly limited with new policies. As a result of restarting my own grid, I will also start to re-involve myself with the various forums and sites that chatter about those grids. Unlike some, I know where the people in Opensim are so it's not really much of a problem. I'm maybe unique in the regard of having an alternative option if the Lab starts limiting us too much but maybe more will start looking for alternatives too. I don't know but bottom line for me is that I like conversing with the people that are in the same world as I am. So the Lab saying I should take certain conversations elsewhere does not sit overly well for me.

First thing, Don't take what I said as anything serious.. I was playing off as there is no outside world to SL from my avatars perspective.. It wasn't any more than that and no hidden meanings from me..

You can pretty much count on that from me.. ;)

Second thing is, I'm really not that immersive when I'm in SL.. So if I'm speaking from my avatar perspective, wait for the punchline.:D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There's been such a flurry of comments (which makes me uneasy, looking for pings to drop), and right now I'm feeling too lazy to go back and see who said what. Someone (Scylla?) mentioned "cantankerous" posters and I have to say, that's what I've been noticing upon my return. Being gone a few years gives me a little perspective and somewhat "new" eyes.

A few years ago I left because there were vendetta ARs going on in a flurry—to the point where I received a few days inworld suspension and the forum isn't worth that risk, the political threads were out of control, I put 12 people on my "mute" list, which I considered an indication of "enough is enough." However, we also had some nice, supportive community threads going on which were great for quite a while until "someone" had to come in and mess things up.

That's what I'm seeing here, in general, now. Only not just one or two someones but a herd of them. I'm not talking about people I disagree with either, I'm talking about cantankerous cranks whose sole purpose just seems to be to cause trouble, cause strife, cause stress... basically trolls. The ratio of these folks to relatively benign posters appears to be on the increase, which I find interesting and ironic considering the new rules seem to be about creating some kind of harmony? Or something?

It also is tiring to just keep swatting away people who think that Forums are here for posting snark and scorn laughs. 

And like Rowan said, it is sad and tiring to think of how to word a little thread that would be fun or nice or interesting to post to while making it strictly "... and how it affects my SL." Yeesh.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Are the one's posting here an extension of their inworld avatars or their avatars an extension of the one's posting here?

What if we are posting while in SL from a media prim, no matter the topic, it is then SL related due to it being posted from within SL and being typed by our little pixel hands 😜 I have found the backdoor to it all, and shall remain free from LL tyranny!  As to not derail the topic of the thread, I'll add in a dash of reinforcement toward the original intention of it, and that we all need to avoid the bait.

12 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Unlike some, I know where the people in Opensim are so it's not really much of a problem

Thanks to the hypergrid, we are all pretty easy to find especially with an online searchable database.  MeWe seems to be the platform of choice for a lot of members there.  I likewise enjoy opensim, but SL will always remain my favorite though - I do agree with enjoying having conversations with people who likewise enjoy SL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

First thing, Don't take what I said as anything serious.. I was playing off as there is no outside world to SL from my avatars perspective.. It wasn't any more than that and no hidden meanings from me..

You can pretty much count on that from me.. ;)

Second thing is, I'm really not that immersive when I'm in SL.. So if I'm speaking from my avatar perspective, wait for the punchline.:D

I did take your post as tongue in cheek and started to respond in that manner but then my fingers took over and typed out the rest which was not really in answer to you anymore but just sharing where I am at about a fourth viable solution to what is happening here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

What if we are posting while in SL from a media prim, no matter the topic, it is then SL related due to it being posted from within SL and being typed by our little pixel hands 😜 I have found the backdoor to it all, and shall remain free from LL tyranny!  As to not derail the topic of the thread, I'll add in a dash of reinforcement toward the original intention of it, and that we all need to avoid the bait.

I was thinking along those lines a few weeks ago when one of the Mods mentioned to take a discussion inworld. Shouldn't be difficult should it to allow a community sort of board inworld where discussions aren't actually here on this one but still accessible and updated in real time from inworld. They wouldn't even have to moderate it! That be something. 😄

• Like 2

Just now, Seicher Rae said:

And then we have this kind of weirdness!  I mean, who can make sense of this? Lions laying down with lambs, etc. 

image.png

I gotta say, too -- the increase in "scorn laughs" I've been getting recently has been doing amazing things for my utterly-useless-and-pointless-who-the-hell-cares reputation score!

I'm pretty sure, as well, that shutting me up is going to make me, in the long run, much less unpopular in some quarters! Maybe now people will be able to look beyond my politics and see me for the Incredibly Wonderful and Charming Woman that I really am!

Or, you know . . . not.

😊

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I gotta say, too -- the increase in "scorn laughs" I've been getting recently has been doing amazing things for my utterly-useless-and-pointless-who-the-hell-cares reputation score!

I'm pretty sure, as well, that shutting me up is going to make me, in the long run, much less unpopular in some quarters! Maybe now people will be able to look beyond my politics and see me for the Incredibly Wonderful and Charming Woman that I really am!

Or, you know . . . not.

😊

Welcome to my world! 

Half my reputation points are from 2 unnamed benefactors who graced many of my posts with scorn laughter. I do thank them on occasion or my reputation would be a little dismal. 9_9

• Haha 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.