LL Announces New LGBTQ+ Community Page

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, blissfulbreeze said:

Who made the definition of the word "Race"? Was it offensive back then? No. It was widely used.

It was created in America, the early colonies, by white people who wanted those they enslaved to be distinguishable so they could control them easier. That would be the black people they decided had something they called "race".

Edited by Kiera Clutterbuck

7 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

It was created in America by white people who wanted those they enslaved to be distinguishable so they could control them easier. That would be the black people they decided had something they called "race".

Ok, so.. what if a black person used the word race? Does that mean that they are racist? What if a Spanish person used it, is that racist? Oh wait.. only if a white person says it. Gotcha. Because only white people are bad when it comes to using the words that so many find offensive. I bet saying "bi-racial" is ok too for anyone who is not full Caucasion? But if a white person says it. Oh my Gawd. My cousin is biracial and identifies as exactly that.. Biracial. She says it in all of her youtube videos. Imagine that!

Prove me wrong.. waits for it. Anyone can feel free to PM me.

Edited by blissfulbreeze
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, blissfulbreeze said:
5 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

It was created in America by white people who wanted those they enslaved to be distinguishable so they could control them easier. That would be the black people they decided had something they called "race".

Ok, so.. what if a black person used the word race? Does that mean that they are racist? What if a Spanish person used it, is that racist? Oh wait.. only if a white person says it. Gotcha.

I think this is an issue you're having with Silent, as she's the one who called you on this so you should ask her why.

I only cleared up your misconception of how the word 'race' came into being.

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

To put it in the simplest terms I can, if you have a problem/issue with "a race", your problem is you are prejudiced or bigoted. If you can't see anything wrong with that, there is no hope for the continued survival of the "human race".

I have no problems with you . I do have a problem with someone putting intentions in my mouth by me using the word race.

1 minute ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

Oh Puleeze. White, black, yellow, red, green have known of other races for thousands of years and have had prejudices against other not like themselves just as long. When one overcomes prejudices against another race, the norm is to then find others to be prejudiced or bigoted towards. When you start to understand that the fear and anger directed at others is an actual addiction to the triggering of various chemicals (ie, endorphins, serotonin, adrenalin) within one's body, one starts to understand the true nature of the symptoms you rail against.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
14 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

Oh Puleeze. White, black, yellow, red, green have known of other races for thousands of years and have had prejudices against other not like themselves just as long. When one overcomes prejudices against another race, the norm is to then find others to be prejudiced or bigoted towards. When you start to understand that the fear and anger directed at others is an actual addiction to the triggering of various chemicals (ie, endorphins, serotonin, adrenalin) within one's body, one starts to understand the true nature of the symptoms you rail against.

THE INVENTION OF RACE
The concept of “race,” as we understand it today, evolved alongside the formation of the United States and was deeply connected with the evolution of two other terms, “white” and “slave.” The words “race,” “white,” and “slave” were all used by Europeans in the 1500s, and they brought these words with them to North America. However, the words did not have the meanings that they have today. Instead, the needs of the developing American society would transform those words’ meanings into new ideas.

https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/talking-about-race/topics/historical-foundations-race

• Like 1

Just now, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

THE INVENTION OF RACE
The concept of “race,” as we understand it today, evolved alongside the formation of the United States and was deeply connected with the evolution of two other terms, “white” and “slave.” The words “race,” “white,” and “slave” were all used by Europeans in the 1500s, and they brought these words with them to North America. However, the words did not have the meanings that they have today. Instead, the needs of the developing American society would transform those words’ meanings into new ideas.

https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/talking-about-race/topics/historical-foundations-race

Correct. However, is it ok for a black person to use the term race? Back then or present? Either/or.

So, I wonder when we're going to get the next community page. It took what, a few months between the first and second? 

My only suggestion would be they move the main community page link somewhere more noticeable. Unless it already is and I missed it somehow. I found it in the very bottom footer of the main homepage, which I dunno...if it's aimed at newbies, it might be easy for them to miss down there. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, blissfulbreeze said:
2 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

THE INVENTION OF RACE

Expand  

Correct. However, is it ok for a black person to use the term race? Back then or present? Either/or.

I get a sense it was not that you used the word 'race' that upset Silent, rather you mentioned someone who was prejudiced against a race. But you'll need to ask her.

Personally, I don't have a problem with anyone, no matter what color, using the word 'race', as it has come to denote something in modern times that, unfortunately, is false and means nothing.  Clear as mud?

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

So, I wonder when we're going to get the next community page. It took what, a few months between the first and second? 

My only suggestion would be they move the main community page link somewhere more noticeable. Unless it already is and I missed it somehow. I found it in the very bottom footer of the main homepage, which I dunno...if it's aimed at newbies, it might be easy for them to miss down there. 

I agree, it should be up at the top under Community.  I mean, they already have that category.  Why not use it for...omg, the Community page!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Is the 3rd community page going to be 'furry' for sure?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I quite like they layout, there just needs to be a lot more of those pages !

and if people want to debate the word "race" and it's use in polite conversation, maybe they should start their own thread about it and see how long that lasts.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I hope they don't miss their mark and blunder it up like the first one. 

• Like 1

Just now, Coffee Pancake said:

I quite like they layout, there just needs to be a lot more of those pages !

Oh the page layout itself is great. I mean the placement of the link itself to even get there. It's buried in the footer.

OH WAIT ignore me. I totally missed it. It's right there on the logged out homepage *points*. My bad. I was scrolling right past it to find the link buried in the footer! 😂

3c33b46de87799266639a4d62df8cb85.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

According to the blog post, it's going to be what they're calling Anthro.

I mean wouldn't that be excluding ferals and other sub-communities within the furry community as a whole?  Anthro is short for anthropomorphic. Which usually entails an animal with sentience. So like a bipedal dog who can talk and act human-like, but looks like a dog. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean wouldn't that be excluding ferals and other sub-communities within the furry community as a whole?  Anthro is short for anthropomorphic. Which usually entails an animal with sentience. So like a bipedal dog who can talk and act human-like, but looks like a dog. 

I have no idea how they're going to handle all that, to be honest. All I know is they say they're already interviewing people for the upcoming page. 

Weren't there supposed to be Google forms to submit to participate or something? I haven't seen any way to submit requests/content.

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'd be really interested to know what, if any, impact this page is having on the LGBTQ+ community (or communities) in-world.

Has it been noticed? Is it read as an affirmation of support? Does it have any practical value?

I wonder how many people in-world know these pages exist.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I wonder how many people in-world know these pages exist.

For a while in June, the LGBTQ+ sim Christopher Street was featured on the loading page for FS and the LL viewer. I'd imagine it must have had a bit of an impact.

Something like that might raise its profile.

(Really nice sim, BTW. I got approached to open a bookstore there, but sadly I don't do that anymore.)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

For a while in June, the LGBTQ+ sim Christopher Street was featured on the loading page for FS and the LL viewer. I'd imagine it must have had a bit of an impact.

Something like that might raise its profile.

(Really nice sim, BTW. I got approached to open a bookstore there, but sadly I don't do that anymore.)

Ohhhh that's a great idea! Add a notice for the main community page to the TP/loading screens.

I still have to visit that sim. It looks really nice from what I've seen. I swear I'm slacking so much lately. All that Shopping & Hopping wore me out, LOL.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.