Wilderworld

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yesterday, I bumped into a former colleague of mine whom I hadn't spoken with in years. He asked me if I was still into this Second Life thing and, after some chit chat, told me I should look into these new VR worlds

I asked 'like Meta'?

'No, Meta's a joke. Have you ever heard of Wilderworld? Look it up. It uses the Unreal 5 engine and blockchain tech. It's really wild. There's a place called Wiami in there, with looped highways. Really crazy stuff.'

So, at home, I looked it up. I watched the trailer (which looked impressive, a little too good, not made with in-game footage at all). And then all these mentions on their website: Ethereum, wheels, kicks, land, crafts, trading assets, '5D' (lol) As if someone had enormous fun making up these buzzwords. Also, actual 'in-world' footage was absolutely nowhere to be found. No client, no account setup - like the place doesn't even exist at all. Allegedly, it's still a work in progress.

Has anyone ever followed up on the development of this thing called Wilderworld? To me, if you pardon my French, it looks like a giant scam, and 'all the people' who already 'joined' the bandwagon by buying assets and land (assuming they did, as inferred from their social media accounts) do not seem to admit that they fell for it - like an emperor's new clothes-type thing.

Yet, as much as it seems scammy, it also seems like a relief. If this is the trend for upcoming new virtual worlds, then Second Life would not have to fear competition quite yet.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
'shoudl'

33 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Yesterday, I bumped into a former colleague of mine whom I hadn't spoken with in years. He asked me if I was still into this Second Life thing and, after some chit chat, told me I should look into these new VR worlds

I asked 'like Meta'?

'No, Meta's a joke. Have you ever heard of Wilderworld? Look it up. It uses the Unreal 5 engine and blockchain tech. It's really wild. There's a place called Wiami in there, with looped highways. Really crazy stuff.'

So, at home, I looked it up. I watched the trailer (which looked impressive, a little too good, not made with in-game footage at all). And then all these mentions on their website: Ethereum, wheels, kicks, land, crafts, trading assets, '5D' (lol) As if someone had enormous fun making up these buzzwords. Also, actual 'in-world' footage was absolutely nowhere to be found. No client, no account setup - like the place doesn't even exist at all. Allegedly, it's still a work in progress.

Has anyone ever followed up on the development of this thing called Wilderworld? To me, if you pardon my French, it looks like a giant scam, and 'all the people' who already 'joined' the bandwagon by buying assets and land (assuming they did, as inferred from their social media accounts) do not seem to admit that they fell for it - like an emperor's new clothes-type thing.

Yet, as much as it seems scammy, it also seems like a relief. If this is the trend for upcoming new virtual worlds, then Second Life would not have to fear competition quite yet.

There are others here who will know far better than I, but . . . my sense is that the only real "metaverse" platforms at the moment -- which is to say, platforms with content and people and things to do -- are those that have been around a bit like Fortnite and VRChat. Or Roboblox and Minecraft.

Most of the rest of them seem to scams, pyramid schemes, or dead on arrival.

PS. What the hell have you done to your profile pic????

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
It's waaaay too late for me to be attempting to employ language
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Have you ever heard of Wilderworld?

Nope but I heard of the Thai Amazing Durian metaverse. And I once downloaded Mir4 thinking it was actually a game. So many crypto scams metaverses to choose from!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It may not be a scam but it has all the mechanisms to perform a rug pull where the owners transfer all crypto coins to an anonymous account and shut down the servers.

I like all the new slang they have for their products. We should do that in SL. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I asked 'like Meta'?

Using all those buzzwords would certainly get web search hits, if done right..

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

It may not be a scam but it has all the mechanisms to perform a rug pull where the owners transfer all crypto coins to an anonymous account and shut down the servers.

That would be the definition of a scam.

• Like 3

I wouldn't touch anything using blockchain. That's just someone searching for a fool ready to part with their money. Ryan Schultz has discussed these scam virtual worlds on his blog before. They never show video from in world.  Eventually, after they've milked it for all its worth, they take the bitcoin and run. 

Edited by Lysistrata Szapira
grammar
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Vanessa Amethyst said:

Blockchain will allways be a solution looking for a problem.

Don't knock solutions looking for a problem. That's exactly what lazer light was. It was invented but there simply wasn't a use for it. These days, there's hardly a solution that it isn't used for :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Don't knock solutions looking for a problem. That's exactly what lazer light was. It was invented but there simply wasn't a use for it. These days, there's hardly a solution that it isn't used for :)

The key difference being lasers were a brand new technology and people got busy pointing them at everything to see what happened.

Blockchains are just ledgers wrapped up in an insane amount of unnecessary computation. There are no uses that could not be done far more efficiently with a regular ledger .. or better yet, a database.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

My favorite use for lasers, is Sharks with lasers mounted on their heads (from Austin Powers).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vanessa Amethyst said:

the moment i see the word "Blockchain" i write the whole thing off

Blockchain will allways be a solution looking for a problem.

well, blockchain technology is also being used in logistics, eg Maersk/IBM TradeLens. Just that isn't nearly as exciting and newsworthy as bitcoin. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.