Just wondering...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 6/19/2022 at 5:31 PM, junique Tigerfish said:

Hello everyone.I always come up with questions when I should be sleeping.Does anyone think sl will ever go vr?

I recently visited science center.I flew like a bird.Omg it was amazing,so realistic.Just made me wonder,think it would be way cool in sl.Another feature was a virtual sandbox,it was more of a motion detection thing.But the features were incredibly beautiful.No,I don't get out much.😀

My family play a VR minigolf game together, from different locations. I have seen some videos where the developers discuss the challenges they faced for each new course they developed.

Many of the technical restrictions they faced are due to the limitations of the VR system. VR at the moment seems to involve a set graphical environment which is fixed in place that allows the user to interact in a minimal manner.

In the mini golf game, the course is static with the players moving around and the ball interacting with the surfaces.

In SL the environment is not static. It can be changed by the avatar at any moment when you build or debuild an object.

I am not sure how easy it is, from a technical point of view for VR, like Quest, to handle SL when it can be constantly moving.

Other more learned people might enlighten us on these technical aspects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did get VR working for a little while with SL and the Firestorm VR version way back when. It was very neat. However, the frame rate sucked. I don't get motion sickness so it wasn't a problem for me. But the headset sucked. The strap messes up the hair, the unit got pretty warm and my face and eyes would sweat which messed up my makeup. So, while I may use SL for a 4 or 5 hour session on some days wearing a head set for more than about 30 minutes just wasn't going to work.

If the Lab fixed all the tech problems, there would still be the physical headset issues. The headsets are obviously designed by GUYS for GUYS.

There is some pretty neat VR media. I enjoyed waking around on the Great Wall in China. Lots of awesome 360 images to check out. But, I haven't turned on the unit in over 2 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, junique Tigerfish said:
22 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Too funny. Ahh to be a VR Virgin again with such enthusiasm. Though I can't say I was so emotionally expressive myself, I certainly felt the confusion in my brain in the beginning when for a split second I felt the simulated environment was actually real!

I do need to point out though that not all people are so emotionally expressive when encountering VR for the first time, but they aren't material for a good YouTube video I guess. 

I didn't want my daughter to feel overwhelmed when I introduced it to her and so had her sit down as I placed my hand on her shoulder. And I warned her the experience could be intense and overwhelming.  She just 'wowed' and 'omgod'ed' in the beginning, and I'll never really know how expressive she would have been had I not prepared her.

Expand  

Lol Luna,my grandson was my introduction.Granny you might get scared.Oh, Granny you might scream.Big grin on his face.But I loved it not even a half scream.😀

What kind of environment did you first log in to?  Mine was a small room with all kinds of gadgets and tasks to attend to, and some strange alien character that walked up and gave me the creeps lol

I was totally unprepared for how I would feel. I knew nothing of the freaked out people on YouTube, and had only heard that one feels like the environment is more real than in pancake mode with our screen, and so I thought nature might be especially beautiful then. So I was quite shocked at the sense of presence. Though it doesn't quite make sense, in many ways the reality in VR feels more real than RL reality.

They should spend their time and money where it would be needed most, a mobile client.  That would be of interest to way more residents than anything VR related.  

Which means, they'll instead do something that appeals to a niche group and leave the rest of us shaking our heads, wondering what the heck they were thinking.  i.e. Event regions, Premium Plus

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

They should spend their time and money where it would be needed most, a mobile client.  That would be of interest to way more residents than anything VR related.  

Which means, they'll instead do something that appeals to a niche group and leave the rest of us shaking our heads, wondering what the heck they were thinking.  i.e. Event regions, Premium Plus

Well, they could do a mobile client, focus on Events in SL, and focus on VR capability all at the same time. Plus, offer various packages to different types of residents (this newest Premium Plus package seems to be tailored to creators who upload a lot).

I wouldn't X-out VR and Events totally, as VR is growing rapidly now, and many Events occur in various games now.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Mobile clients, VR, events, new subscriptions... 

Newbies can barely figure out how to get dressed, tho. Let alone build an up-to-date appearance from scratch.

Hell...there are days where *I* can barely figure out how to get dressed!!!

Too true!

I can manage Blender but getting a body and dressing it is beyond me. I'm a little cat in SL.    :)

I do have an alt that has a mesh body and clothes, but I found the whole process overly complicated and majorly annoying.  Perhaps some enjoy the process.

I think something is changing with newbie avatars to address this a bit though.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Too true!

I can manage Blender but getting a body and dressing it is beyond me. I'm a little cat in SL.    :)

I occasionally get frustrated IMs just standing around in head or skin stores. Newbies had lots of questions that, honestly, took quite a while for me to help them out with. The usual questions - why is my head red, why are my eyes red, where's my face, why am I gray, my ears aren't showing, etc. all the way through those tricky wonky neck blend issues. Lots and lots of troubleshooting, lots of patience required (on their part and mine), lots and lots and loooots of trial and error. Not to mention having to teach them about logos/brands (how to tell which skins are for which head/body), how to purchase from vendors, what order to layer things in, what BOM means, how to find things in inventory...

Sometimes I'd be in there for an hour answering questions as patiently as possible, and every single time it struck me how absolutely insane it is to build a character this wonky way, compared to say...I dunno, any other character creator.

Yes, the flexibility with avatar creation is pretty rad. But there is just so much info to take in all at once, and by the time we've fixed the problems, they're exhausted, they add me to their friends list, they log out, and I never see them log in again.

I do agree that mobile and VR would be kind of neat to have, but I really think focusing on getting people into exploration and not stuck on step 1 (for those who are here to play dress up, that is) is the way to go.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I really think focusing on getting people into exploration and not stuck on step 1 (for those who are here to play dress up, that is) is the way to go.

A lot of the problems in SL come from the original architecture used to create it. It's very old by now. Mesh was an add-on -- SL was not designed for mesh -- so I'm not surprised the newer bodies have trouble integrating with the original architecture.
Unfortunately, according to some experts, it can only be modified so far.
Breaking existing content is a major concern too, as this is likely to happen when they modify anything.

So, I think the problem is not for lack of trying. It may be impossible to get it as smooth as other games that were originally designed to incorporate the aspects we would like to see here. I doubt they've given up on improving it some though, but that's just my guess.

This goes for VR too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:
7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Mesh was an add-on -- SL was not designed for mesh

At least Mesh works better than Sculpties!

In some aspects. It looks better for sure. But, despite what some mesh enthusiasts will say, it can be more laggy. I had a woman ask me to redo her club and land on the grounds that I used no mesh, as her previous designer used all mesh and it was so laggy nobody could move. Could be that unoptimized mesh was a big factor though.

Take all the confusion, difficulties and resulting frustration assembling a human avatar using Second Life Viewer or any of the 'desktop' third party viewers and multiply that by the limitations of Mobile Viewers and VR Viewers.  EXPLODE

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Take all the confusion, difficulties and resulting frustration assembling a human avatar using Second Life Viewer or any of the 'desktop' third party viewers and multiply that by the limitations of Mobile Viewers and VR Viewers.  EXPLODE

Oh gawd.

GloomyInsignificantIchneumonfly-max-1mb.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.