"It's really, really hard to build a world" - Philip on Civility

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

ensuring everyone is 'civil' all the time and a 'safe space' for everyone will come at great cost to the majority's freedoms and dignities.

But, but...aren't you the one trying to take away other's freedom?  Since those 0 second orbs are uncivil and apparently, unsafe for you?  Take away that freedom from the majority to appease the minority?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Sounds amazing. And if screaming kids I just block them. Done. Next.

Cool. But many others would simply just log right out and not return. There comes a point where having to manually block hundreds of accounts one by one gets a bit tedious.

Especially when THIS is how the company chooses to deal with such things. 😏

Clearly, this is NOT a serious platform and never will be at this rate. And this is why it's never going to be a widespread thing (RIGHT @Luna Bliss?! 😂)

5f767510-85e0-11ec-b57f-97b906f9301c

https://www.engadget.com/meta-quest-horizon-worlds-horizon-venues-personal-boundary-harassment-174140461.html

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, you're fighting for the right to be abusive? To attack people with slurs?

That is exactly what those shouting loudly about free speech are after, the ability to exercise hate speech, trolling and abusive behavior without consequence. The longer this goes on the more their power and influence increases, the more the community circles the drain and all but the die hard leave - just like these very forums.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Cool. But many others would simply just log right out and not return. There comes a point where having to manually block hundreds of accounts one by one gets a bit tedious.

Especially when THIS is how the company chooses to deal with such things. 😏

Clearly, this is NOT a serious platform and never will be at this rate. And this is why it's never going to be a widespread thing (RIGHT @Luna Bliss?! 😂)

5f767510-85e0-11ec-b57f-97b906f9301c

https://www.engadget.com/meta-quest-horizon-worlds-horizon-venues-personal-boundary-harassment-174140461.html

It's like Elvis on Ed Sullivan, couldn't show him below the waist! At least we don't need to worry about what bits and bobs they have.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It's like Elvis on Ed Sullivan, couldn't show him below the waist! At least we don't need to worry about what bits and bobs they have.

Heeeeey, I didn't even point out the floating torsos (points for me!). That was done before the barrier. But yeah, they really think enveloping avatars in bubbles is going to make their platform more safe. That's so hilarious. 😂

Meanwhile, behind the Foo Fighters concert...

bubble-football-funny.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That is exactly what those shouting loudly about free speech are after, the ability to exercise hate speech, trolling and abusive behavior without consequence. The longer this goes on the more their power and influence increases, the more the community circles the drain and all but the die hard leave - just like these very forums.

Part of civility and building a community is to not demonize others - and especially those who uphold human rights and freedoms.

I am so amazed about what I have seen from 2020-2022 - a meming of such an important concept by many to turn something that is the back bone of the West and the USA specifically - human rights, freedom of expression and freedom of speech be turned into

"Mah freedumbs! mah rites! Mah freedumbs!'

Or even the accusation that those who promote such IDEALS of Western Democracy seek to abuse them and victimize others.

This is uncivil. THIS is toxic. THIS spells doom for any world, virtual or not.

To mock or meme Freedom means we are headed to doom.

How can people be civil in a virtual world, or forum, when civility is GONE in real life.

• Haha 1

Right on que.. 

1 minute ago, Codex Alpha said:

Part of civility and building a community is to not demonize others - and especially those who uphold human rights and freedoms.

I am so amazed about what I have seen from 2020-2022 - a meming of such an important concept by many to turn something that is the back bone of the West and the USA specifically - human rights, freedom of expression and freedom of speech be turned into

"Mah freedumbs! mah rites! Mah freedumbs!'

Or even the accusation that those who promote such IDEALS of Western Democracy seek to abuse them and victimize others.

This is uncivil. THIS is toxic. THIS spells doom for any world, virtual or not.

To mock or meme Freedom means we are headed to doom.

How can people be civil in a virtual world, or forum, when civility is GONE in real life.

.. and hilarious.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Now you're asking the right questions.

And this is what metaverse developers will have to figure out. I don't envy them, either.

Phillip has a good handle on what it takes and what happens when civility is lost, first hand while developing HiFi .

He couldn't solve it so recommended to users that they run their own servers, manage their own ban lists so they can restrict anyone they want, and have any rules they want - HiFi would just be the backbone of a disjointed universe of feifdoms run by tyrants - which of course all of them would be empty.

Ebbe knew this as well on his own project, but he either seemed unwilling or unable to do what was necessary to bring everyone together, and eventually the same mentality rotted out that platform's core too. Everyone banned everyone else until there was no one left.

From what I see hasn't been much civility at all, just people demanding things.

A similar thing could be seen on chat rooms I and others hosted. As we moved to whatever was the most functional at the time, the same people would gather in the same groups, with the same results. Didn't matter what platform it was. Don't blame the platform, it's the people who make or break it.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Codex Alpha said:

Everyone banned everyone else until there was no one left.

From what I see hasn't been much civility at all, just people demanding things.

But isn't just muting everyone you don't like your solution?

How is this really different?

Wouldn't it be better to create a culture where people can coexist in mutual respect, still connected and still learning from each other, rather than rattling around in tiny little self-generated echo chambers?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Codex Alpha said:

I think this topic 'discussion' in it's entirety will speak for itself, and how it relates to the OP, and what Philip has to deal with and the challenges.

I don't want to belabour this too much, as you sound a little upset. But the cognitive dissonance here is frankly deafening -- so much so that I'm half convinced it's deliberate and tongue-in-cheek. I don't know that I could have scripted a more appropriately ironic exit for you from this discussion.

You have just finished bemoaning the lack of "civility" in modern discourse, but conclude by slurring those with whom you've been discussing this as "manipulators" and "weirdos."

At the same time, you've putatively been arguing that moderation and governance mechanisms are a form of PC censorship, and that everyone should instead just sort of "man up" and use tools like mute, block, and ignore -- and yet you conclude by informing us that you've "reported" this conversation?

You see no contradictions here?

I am thinking that you may not be cut out for the rough-and-tumble of forums -- although this discussion has hardly been very nasty in my view. Nor am I very worried about your threatened "report."  Indeed, the closest thing I've seen to "abuse" here is in your closing characterization of us.

I don't want to suggest that you shouldn't be here -- the forums are and should be open to anyone who isn't actually abusive. But I'm wondering for your own peace of mind whether you shouldn't maybe find discussion groups where you'll find kindred souls who don't push back against your ideas?

Or, possibly, you might want to rethink your views in the light of your own actions and reactions?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't want to suggest that you shouldn't be here -- the forums are and should be open to anyone who isn't actually abusive. But I'm wondering for your own peace of mind whether you shouldn't maybe find discussion groups where you'll find kindred souls who don't push back against your ideas?

See, bubbles and echo changes are the answer, to protect us from ourselves!

Kind of like covering a precious object in bubble wrap.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.