"It's really, really hard to build a world" - Philip on Civility

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

52 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In fairness, a point that I've tried to make here is that not everyone is psychologically or emotionally equipped to simply mute and walk away. That's not a "fault" as such -- it's often the result of extreme social anxiety, social trauma, and so on. And that, of course, can make people be particularly emotionally vulnerable in situations that they read (or misread) as belligerent.

That may well be the case here, so I think a bit of latitude is in order. I don't think much is gained by triggering easily-triggered people, beyond scoring points.

Which, of course, I'd NEVER stoop to do. EVER.

🙂

Back on topic, I believe the source of many cases of incivility on the internet, in social media - is that sometimes individuals don't just want to be "heard", or even "agreed with".  Sometimes - and I have seen this more recently (not so much on this thread) - individuals want to both a) have their say, and b) have the last word.  

Now, I don't see that as any kind of "fault" - but it's almost as if we all need to wear caps showing our Myers-Briggs code to give everyone a clue.  Sometimes when speaking with another who must "have the last word", you don't know that at all and start to feel "attacked" (or perhaps they do).

For these cases, wouldn't it be great  to have a "mute conversation" function?  Unfortunately all the "mute"/"block" functions  on the forum at least, still show you breadcrumbs. "You have chosen to ignore" etc.  In my opinion, better mute/block functionality, including for "threads" (not just people) would be super awesome!

I'll give you a "for instance".  Let's say you had no problem with anyone in this thread - but you never wanted to see it again. There's no way to do that, it will show up in your "unread content" feed.  And if the current "block" functionality were extended to "threads", you'd still see an indication of the activity in "unread content"!

I think adding better mute/block - and adding it for threads not just people - would go a long way towards easing those who are "triggered" in the Forum.  

Heyo, another great idea from yours truly!

B1BDF11C-78BE-461A-8456-5A3DF9F6FD08.jpeg.adf7e216f7567c2118bbc48617e2c62d.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying
missing word
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This you?

Can't stop can you?

Nearly every response you make is designed to incite a defensive response in  your target, no matter what it was that they said, and you frequently join dogpiles too.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That brings to mind the many "man in the street" videos that demonstrate that the casual observer is quite often a moron.

These are usually highlighting the lack of "common knowledge", less than the lack of "common sense".  

Reminds me of that show, "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader"?

But if he were interviewing me, I'd be tongue-tied!

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Back on topic, I believe the source of many cases of incivility on the internet, in social media - is that sometimes individuals don't just want to be "heard", or even "agreed with".  Sometimes - and I have seen this more recently (not so much on this thread) - individuals want to both a) have their say, and b) have the last word.  

Now, I don't see that as any kind of "fault" - but it's almost as if we all need to wear caps showing our Myers-Briggs code to give everyone a clue.  Sometimes when speaking with another who must "have the last word", you don't know that at all and start to feel "attacked" (or perhaps they do).

For these cases, wouldn't it be great  to have a "mute conversation" function?  Unfortunately all the "mute"/"block" functions  on the forum at least, still show you breadcrumbs. "You have chosen to ignore" etc.  In my opinion, better mute/block functionality, including for "threads" (not just people) would be super awesome!

I'll give you a "for instance".  Let's say you had no problem with anyone in this thread - but you never wanted to see it again. There's no way to do that, it will show up in your "unread content" feed.  And if the current "block" functionality were extended to "threads", you'd still see an indication of the activity in "unread content"!

I think adding better mute/block - and adding it for threads not just people - would go a long way towards easing those who are "triggered" in the Forum.  

You guys are EXPERT at reframing things. Very interesting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes. In general, the more tools we have to tailor our experience to our own needs, the better.

I dislike it when people use these sorts of features to insulate themselves from new ideas and different perspectives. It's one of the reasons I hate Facebook.

But ultimately one's own emotional well-being is more important. 

A different problem is the misuse of these features for trolling -- dropping bombs and then ducking out to avoid accountability. I don't have a good answer for that issue, tbh, beyond top-down measures such as bans. Again, some form of moderation is always going to be needed, I think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.