1 second Orb timing, is it necessary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Very true, one can "win the day" with all sad-faces, laughs, and confused looks! 

I try to leave a like/thank you for people until they step on my tail!  Leaving negative reactions has led to misunderstandings, so I try to just not react at all unless it is a "like" or a "thank you".

Kind of like replying, "Brilliant!" - they can guess what I really meant, but hopefully take it in a positive way.

Ah yes, those absolutely meaningless reputation points and the just as meaningless "win the day" codswallop ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Someone can always look at the sim covenant to see if the parcel owner is breaking the covenant and then inform the sim owner..

In private regions or regions owned by land barons, that works. But there's nothing stopping anyone who so desires to go buy a bunch of abandoned land on any continent and set up aggressive orbs. 

The southern tip of Satori is only 4 regions wide - if you've got a spare bunch of cash laying around there's nothing stopping you from completely blocking off any and all traffic between the north-east (Corsica, Gaeta V, Blake, Nautilus, Satori) and the rest of the mainland. 

Because apparently griefing the Hell out of everyone else in the world is fine if you own the land. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Is there really anyone who is asking for unimpeded access to people's land?

Where? Please show me?

Some orwar dude, said that he should be able to travel wherever on mainland unimpeded and that somehow people's ideology of privacy was somehow draconian. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Some orwar dude, said that he should be able to travel wherever on mainland unimpeded and that somehow people's ideology of privacy was somehow draconian. 

Don't drink and type.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Ah yes, those absolutely meaningless reputation points and the just as meaningless "win the day" codswallop ...

Oh my, I'm afraid to lookup "codswallop" so I looked up "coxswain" instead.  By happy coincidence, that person may captain a "shallop". Close enough!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coxswain

But yeah, some of us (Me! I.e., "Royal We") don't have a "real life" so forum stuffs help fill an empty, empty existence.

D3E71AF4-F9E7-4271-8DBD-5C03FAC7DF9C.jpeg.036282dbb96ec7ac61070a49ac2a8dff.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Orwar said:
3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Don't drink and type.

Dude, I think she meant you!

5 minutes ago, Orwar said:

In private regions or regions owned by land barons, that works. But there's nothing stopping anyone who so desires to go buy a bunch of abandoned land on any continent and set up aggressive orbs. 

The southern tip of Satori is only 4 regions wide - if you've got a spare bunch of cash laying around there's nothing stopping you from completely blocking off any and all traffic between the north-east (Corsica, Gaeta V, Blake, Nautilus, Satori) and the rest of the mainland. 

Because apparently griefing the Hell out of everyone else in the world is fine if you own the land. 

How is it griefing sending you home? I mean what part of that is griefing? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I was addressing something that had to do with a sim owner and someone that has a parcel in their sim, which would be under the sim owners covenant.

If someone bought a parcel on mainland, they would be in control of the covenant because mainland, you can do that and just own a parcel.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Goes well with the meaningless codswallop responses handed out by those think themselves edgy and blunt, hiding the fact they have nothing of note to add.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Again I think I stated it well. I think people are free to do what they want, with the items they buy. So if I buy an orb to protect my property, I am free to do with it what I want. When it comes to setting it. I don't know how hard of a concept that is to understand. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Who are you talking to me or Orwar? Lol 

Him/Orwar. I quoted him..your quote was a level deeper. Just went back and made sure.

If it looked like I quoted you directly and not Orwar, then blame the Forum software!

Edited by Love Zhaoying

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Again I think I stated it well. I think people are free to do what they want, with the items they buy. So if I buy an orb to protect my property, I am free to do with it what I want. When it comes to setting it. I don't know how hard of a concept that is to understand. 

They (the Great and Good "They") could indeed ban Orbs.  But then only criminals would have and use Orbs.

• Haha 1

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean I usually and I know I am quoting myself. Lol. I usually set it so only a meter around the house is protected from intruders with the 0-second rule. The rest of the land is okay to explore, it doesn't impede someone's use of air travel or travel by sea. So if you are trying to get into my house, good luck. Heck, I will be even kinder and tell people if you come into a meter of my house, you will be sent straight home. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Goes well with the meaningless codswallop responses handed out by those think themselves edgy and blunt, hiding the fact they have nothing of note to add.

Similar to bringing up the same requests and points over and over and over and over! (Not you.)

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

We need some kind of magic workaround, like "Set Home to Here" first.

But you do SL has a setting to set your home to a placee you want to set as home. I hope you weren't being sarcastic there and I just got snippy with you. Lol 

2 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:
4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We need some kind of magic workaround, like "Set Home to Here" first.

But you do SL has a setting to set your home to a placee you want to set as home. I hope you weren't being sarcastic there and I just got snippy with you. Lol 

Well, in my recent experience, SL won't let you set "Home" to just any old place. 

When I got my current Sakura home, I tried "Set Home" just barely outside the parcel boundary - on "public" land - and it wouldn't work.

So - I propose that it would not let me "Set Home" to your property.  Unless I had "entry rights" to your property.

The "Workaround" was trying to be ironic - because I know it won't let you just "Set Home" to any old place.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

39 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Then they set up the parcels with the appropriate access settings and names/descriptions. Ditto on search listings if they're going to list in search.

That's it, that's all that needs to be done to differentiate between a User Owned parcel that is not the default of Private (and yes, unless specified in some way otherwise, the parcel is indeed, Private).

So, I'm trying to imagine how this looks in practice.

I'm walking through Ciampi (the sim I mentioned). Parts of the sim are fairly obviously "private," but there are parts -- gardens and parkland, mostly -- that are not. Without some form of signage, it's sometimes going to be difficult to tell.

So, what you are suggesting is that . . . I have parcel boundaries turned on? So that I can visibly distinguish parcels? And then, what, check the "land" tab on those to see if they are private or not before I try to enter?

Why would anyone do that? What a horrible visitor experience that would be! And in most of the sims that I visit that are like Ciampi, they actually go to great lengths -- photo contests, events, etc. -- to encourage visitors.

Now, in Ciampi, the orbs all seem to be set to 15 seconds, which is more than adequate time for me to step in, go "oops!" and get out again. But this began with a discussion of orbs set to 0 seconds.

I'm either not understanding what you are saying, which is quite possible, or else this is just an extreme and really really clunky "solution."

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Formating
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Well, in my recent experience, SL won't let you set "Home" to just any old place. 

When I got my current Sakura home, I tried "Set Home" just barely outside the parcel boundary - on "public" land - and it wouldn't work.

So - I propose that it would not let me "Set Home" to your property.  Unless I had "entry rights" to your property.

The "Workaround" was trying to be ironic - because I know it won't let you just "Set Home" to any old place.

I mean I usually set my home to a place I have designed and made to look like my home in SL. xD

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I usually set it so only a meter around the house is protected from intruders with the 0-second rule. The rest of the land is okay to explore, it doesn't impede someone's use of air travel or travel by sea.

I am not sure why 0 seconds is necessary, but on the whole this seems not unreasonable to me. Yes, of course you have the right to restrict entry into your house.

One question I might ask -- how far up above your house does your orb's range extend? Are you potentially and unnecessarily crashing aircraft, who can't see the orb "coming"? How high up does it need to go to ensure privacy?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If it doesn't feel like a home to me, I am not setting it as home. I think having the ability to set it at a spot, say in the middle of the road on mainland is absolutely redundant. That is just my opinion. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.