1 second Orb timing, is it necessary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I did something similar with my cat a few years ago. I gently kicked it a few times to make sure she was dead. Next morning I gently kicked the cardboard box I'd put her in a couple of times, to make sure she was really dead.

Been there too. When one of my huskies died suddenly on a walk a few years ago, I had to ask a passerby to help verify if he "really was dead".  It sounds "funny" but not if it happens to you!

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Can you please clarify if group-only scripts require one to actually make it your "active" group / wear the group tag, in order for the script to work? 

Or, is it enough to merely be a member of the group, and no need to make that your "active" group for the script to work?

Oh yes! Yes, it does require the person to have the group activated to be recognised by a script that s/he is on the group. I forgot to include that bit of making things more of an overkill

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 3

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Oh but I enjoy seeing the wannabe lawyers finagling away in an attempt to make their side the right one, and feeling justified because they view their method of getting their way as not using force and so superior. Posing as caring about the community. Usually people who always had a "room of one's own", and so unable to clearly evaluate the needs others might have. Very enlightening. I have a newfound appreciation for those who criticize the fakers of progressivism.

There are legitimate reasons why in real life 0 sec or No warning Orb's or anything equating to them, would ever be allowed. Those justifications have just as much weight here from a moral perspective.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Both in RL and in SL if you set foot on my property and you are not welcome there, you are violating my rights. It is my property. You have no rights on my property other than what I grant you. Only difference between SL and RL is in RL if you are injured on my property, I can be held legally liable. Another insurance scam.

Consider this. At one time if some guy was caught peeping through your window while you were dressing (naked) he went to jail. In more recent years laws have been passed so that if you are naked in your own home and someone looks in through a window and sees you, YOU go to jail! Not the creep looking into the privacy of your home!

Interesting...I was not aware of these laws.

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/indecent-exposure-can-i-be-charged-if-i-am-naked-in-my-own-home-52610

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Been there too. When one of my huskies died suddenly on a walk a few years ago, I had to ask a passerby to help verify if he "really was dead".  It sounds "funny" but not if it happens to you!

Quite right. We really don't need to wonder if we got it right when we disposed of them..

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Oh but I enjoy seeing the wannabe lawyers finagling away in an attempt to make their side the right one, and feeling justified because they view their method of getting their way as not using force and so superior. Posing as caring about the community. Usually people who always had a "room of one's own", and so unable to clearly evaluate the needs others might have. Very enlightening. I have a newfound appreciation for those who criticize the fakers of progressivism.

There are legitimate reasons why in real life 0 sec or No warning Orb's or anything equating to them, would ever be allowed. Those justifications have just as much weight here from a moral perspective.

Oh if only I had a device that would teleport an intruder into my home and garden in RL back to their own home. Would be great. without harming them, of course.

5 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Unless it's been changed in recent times, in the UK (certainly in England) there is no law against being naked in public. We occasionally get a person who sets off walking the length of the country stark naked - including through towns and cities. They get arrested from time to time, but they aren't doing anything illegal so they just carry on with their walks afterwards.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Perverts gotta go ruin it for the rest of us!

I always keep my blinds open, rolled to the top, in the living room due to a kitty who tries to shred them. I really need to make sure I only dress in my private bathroom, as even a ways off in my bedroom there could be a peeping-tom who might see me.

Edited by Luna Bliss

Can someone define what a "solid" reason is? 

Is it a reason that is generally accepted, and agreed upon by all? 

Or, is a "solid" reason only "solid" in the context of someone making an individual or official judgement?

Does it require a specific number of points in order to be "solid"? Does it require that there are no obvious "gotcha's", or previously stated counter-arguments?

I'm reminded of a "laser-tag" place in the late 1980's, whose food and drink kiosk was labeled with signage reading, "LIQUIDS AND SOLIDS".

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Can someone define what a "solid" reason is? 

Is it a reason that is generally accepted, and agreed upon by all? 

Or, is a "solid" reason only "solid" in the context of someone making an individual or official judgement?

Does it require a specific number of points in order to be "solid"? Does it require that there are no obvious "gotcha's", or previously stated counter-arguments?

I'm reminded of a "laser-tag" place in the late 1980's, whose food and drink kiosk was labeled with signage reading, "LIQUIDS AND SOLIDS".

Maybe clearly a solid reason?     :)

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Unless it's been changed in recent times, in the UK (certainly in England) there is no law against being naked in public. We occasionally get a person who sets off walking the length of the country stark naked - including through towns and cities. They get arrested from time to time, but they aren't doing anything illegal so they just carry with their walks afterwards.

Why'd you hafta send those Puritans over here who think bodies are sinful and indecent ???!!!    :)

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Being that the Lab has set precedence with banning or limiting security time limits elsewhere, it stands to reason they could be convinced that it would be advantageous to do so for the Mainland too.

You honestly think that LL would lift every parcel that had banlines and shift them from the Mainland to some new 'servers for those who want privacy'?

Because every one of the parcels they shifted would then become abandoned land ... which they would still have to provide servers to support ... as well as providing new servers to run those parcels they force to move.

And you think that the people who were forced off the mainland wouldn't object. Vigorously?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Because we like walking the streets here, flashing to everyone. They used to be a nuisance by complaining too much :D

That's why the Statue inscription says, "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, whining to be free"!

Edited by Love Zhaoying

7 minutes ago, AnthonyJoanne said:

You honestly think that LL would lift every parcel that had banlines and shift them from the Mainland to some new 'servers for those who want privacy'?

Because every one of the parcels they shifted would then become abandoned land ... which they would still have to provide servers to support ... as well as providing new servers to run those parcels they force to move.

And you think that the people who were forced off the mainland wouldn't object. Vigorously?

Eh? Why would they have to go that extreme? Simply have to make a new rule requiring a minimum of 5, 10 or 15 second warnings to be ejected. Maybe too a rule for right of way access or warning buoys on waterways to allow passage through narrow channels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Eh? Why would they have to go that extreme? Simply have to make a new rule requiring a minimum of 5, 10 or 15 second warnings to be ejected. Maybe too a rule for right of way access or warning buoys on waterways to allow passage through narrow channels.

Hang on - got to figure out how to do multi quote lol.

Can't figure it out, so I'll have to quote it manually.

What I was responding to was this from Codex Alpha:

Although I am a person who is very much open and accepting of being open in a publicly accessible region, and others may want to get 100% privacy without paying for it - the result and practical experience would be better served by methods adopted by many other platforms at this point - serving up on-demand, single instanced 'experiences'.

This would take the privacy landowners issues and solve them by granting them what they wish - at whatever affordable price LL would offer - remove the compartmentalized parcel from the Mainland, opening it up to other users who are more open to a community experience, - thus removing the need for disrupting security measures - that will affect the positive experience of other users.

Specifically the bolded section ... but I quoted a lot around it to avoid appearing to take it out of context.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mollymews said:

i still do this today when i want to go way up and I haven't got any LM.  Still do as well when putting up a sky platform. Rez the prim(s) on the ground, fit to the parcel boundary. Sit and change the Z. woosh!

I do too, especially if I'm doing any building up there. But a faster way, if you use Firestorm, is to type gth XXXX in chat.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Right, but the assumption I am making is - when you get a parcel, is the water always navigable?  Or is "your" water not navigable?

That is what my question relates to, really.  If "your" water isn't really navigable, then if "your" orb extends to the navigable water - that's bad.

It depends whether your water is adjacent to a Linden protected waterway or not.

If it is, then you can make your water navigable too, simply by not using banlines or security orbs. Leave all security off (and if you need some, build a private skybox with security turned on there).  Even better, make it open build, open script and open object entry for everyone, with an auto-return of about 5 minutes, so people can use it as a rez spot for boats, if their trip has been interrupted.  The 5 minute auto-return ensures nothing is left littering your parcel.

If your water is not adjacent to a Linden protected waterway, then you can't really make your water navigable because you're locked in by other private parcels on all sides, in which case it really doesn't matter what you do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.