1 second Orb timing, is it necessary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Codex Alpha said:

This is the thing about rights. Our rights begin and end with ourselves. Govern yourself indeed - I agree.

However when you use scripts that forcefully eject and transport other user's avatars not only from your parcel, but out of the region, and if it happens a lot in a particular area - then you are going outside governing yourself, and there could be grounds for a user to file an Abuse Report.

Hard to do though, because 0 second ejects by nature happen so fast that one wouldn't even know what or who triggered it, or who owned the parcel in order to file a report to start with. I've seen people file ARs on less offensive actions... so why wouldn't this be included as it far surpasses other offenses because it happens to legitimate users.

You can certainly believe all that but I think the preponderance of evidence is against that view.  I don't think you are winning many over with your arguments either.  As long as you are having fun, that's the main thing.  I know I am :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Hard to do though, because 0 second ejects by nature happen so fast that one wouldn't even know what or who triggered it, or who owned the parcel in order to file a report to start with.

All those screen shots after people were TP'd home, showing details on being ejected / teleported are lies! Lies, I tell you!

You tell 'em!

• Haha 1

What a lot of posts for something that has been around very long and will not change any time soon.
Orbs are part of SL, just like lag, limited people on a sim and expensive land.
Deal with it or walk away.  It is that simple.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

What a lot of posts for something that has been around very long and will not change any time soon.

It's the free-dumb problem in America. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

All those screen shots after people were TP'd home, showing details on being ejected / teleported are lies! Lies, I tell you!

You tell 'em!

Hey if I missed something and can pull the messages back up, as well as the OWNER of it, that would be great. I would have expected the messages to be found in the chat, or msg window, but when I looked I couldn't retrieve them. Would be good to know for everyone who might read this topic in the future and who want to file an AR.

7 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Nah, we're going to post about it to get LL's attention and perhaps get it changed - as it actually is in the best interest for new and old user experience, and that 0 second eject scripts are affecting other users a bit too much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I can tell you that nobody's ever messaged me about my 5 second warning/eject since I've started using it. I've never messaged anyone about their 0 second warnings/ejects, either. I knew I landed in their personal living rooms due to an outdated landmark or got too close to a private parcel when traveling around. No big deal IMO. Wouldn't even occur to me to complain about it.

I did have on persistent girl who kept walking in and getting ejected when I had it set to 30 seconds.  She did IM me telling me I should let her in since she wanted to look at my place.  She was rather new so I very nicely explained that homes on my region were generally private residences and that homes in general were places people 'owned' in SL.  She was very adament that I should allow her access.  I was just as adament about not giving it and also explained that she could cam in and see everything she wanted to see.  She left in a huff.  Oh well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I did have on persistent girl who kept walking in and getting ejected when I had it set to 30 seconds.  She did IM me telling me I should let her in since she wanted to look at my place.  She was rather new so I very nicely explained that homes on my region were generally private residences and that homes in general were places people 'owned' in SL.  She was very adament that I should allow her access.  I was just as adament about not giving it and also explained that she could cam in and see everything she wanted to see.  She left in a huff.  Oh well.

Oh yeah, with new people I could see how they might not understand the difference and not expect to be barred from certain areas.

But I mean...orbs, eject, tp home - this stuff has been around a thousand years. Not sure why it's suddenly a problem now - for those who are not brand new.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Hey if I missed something and can pull the messages back up, as well as the OWNER of it, that would be great. I would have expected the messages to be found in the chat, or msg window, but when I looked I couldn't retrieve them. Would be good to know for everyone who might read this topic in the future and who want to file an AR.

I will have to try to get ejected from someplace, so I can research it! It's been too many years.

This got mentioned because I saw in someone's screen shot recently, information that was potentially interesting and useful.  At the time, the point made by posters was that the screen shot showed the user's own Linden Home - meaning she got / saw the message after already being teleported home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whining is it's own reward I guess.  There are places one can fly over freely and there are places that people have paid for the right to say, "Nope, not here".  Choose to fly over private places and whine about being ejected.  Threaten to leave SL because it's "unfriendly".  Or just let it go.  You're never going to win this one.

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, kali Wylder said:

Whining is it's own reward I guess. 

There's the old "Mars vs. Venus" thing.  Sometimes, people just want to be recognized, understood, listened-to, respected.  And sometimes they want you to agree. Life is interesting.

• Like 1

[Redacted by moderator]

3 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh yeah, with new people I could see how they might not understand the difference and not expect to be barred from certain areas.

But I mean...orbs, eject, tp home - this stuff has been around a thousand years. Not sure why it's suddenly a problem now - for those who are not brand new.

As I have stated at least in my own experience that it is more common now - and that if it wasn't happening so much to be noticeable then I probably wouldn't have even posted about it myself. All I know is my usage of Second Life hasn't changed, but the community and environment in world most certainly have.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Codex Alpha said:

LL can most certainly look into my account (both here and used to be on Sansar) and find that this is not the case. I stand by what I say, and adjust my opinions or not based on new information presented, and don't operate under cloak and dagger like others may do.

I would like to complement you on your persistence! 

The fact you remind me of some of my favorite posters who "like to argue" is also a complement.

So, alt or not, you're doing a great job!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

I respond to the argument or thought presented, and not the person themselves if possible. I'm not perfect - but I address the argument made.

When you know all the previous statements and positions a poster held it's much easier to judge whether their current positions are disingenuous.  It would be foolish to ignore past statements contradicting present positions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Whining is it's own reward I guess.  There are places one can fly over freely and there are places that people have paid for the right to say, "Nope, not here".  Choose to fly over private places and whine about being ejected.  Threaten to leave SL because it's "unfriendly".  Or just let it go.  You're never going to win this one.

At least it is highlighting that in spite of some debating about their supposed right to be able to set it to 0 sec warning, in actual fact it seem to be really just a couple who actually do and their intent having more to do with  justifying a behaviour that looks to be quasi legalized griefing rather than any real issue with privacy or fear of their stuff messed with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Codex Alpha said:

As I have stated at least in my own experience that it is more common now - and that if it wasn't happening so much to be noticeable then I probably wouldn't have even posted about it myself. All I know is my usage of Second Life hasn't changed, but the community and environment in world most certainly have.

I've had a different experience, I suppose. I was pretty into mainland exploration/travel yeaaaaars ago - by air, sea, land. Ban lines, nasty laggy sim crossings, and eject orbs were as much of a thing then as they are now. Not much has changed IMO. It's why I prefer to explore in multi-sim parks and scenic sims specifically designed to be traversed.

Mainland has not really been the easiest place to roam around in my experience, at least since around 2005 or so.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
14 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Whining is it's own reward I guess. 

There's the old "Mars vs. Venus" thing.  Sometimes, people just want to be recognized, understood, listened-to, respected.  And sometimes they want you to agree. Life is interesting.

I agree, and generally try to take this attitude. However it's dangerous to take this tactic with some people.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

At least it is highlighting that in spite of some debating about their supposed right to be able to set it to 0 sec warning, in actual fact it seem to be really just a couple who actually do and their intent having more to do with  justifying a behaviour that looks to be quasi legalized griefing rather than any real issue with privacy or fear of their stuff messed with.

Wow, that's some strong Kool-Aid but it's starting to work! Just as those who are trespassing on a pretext of "exploring", those who use the security devices are actually griefing on a pretext of "security"! Brilliant!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

in actual fact it seem to be really just a couple who actually do

Exactly!  If the forums are a small indicator of the general population on mainland, the 0 second orbs are not as prevalent as some would have us think.  Personally, I haven't run into one recently and I've been spending more time on mainland than my previous 12 years.   

So, in reality, it's a NON-issue for the majority of SL users.   

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Codex Alpha said:

Are you claiming that you havent participated in any of the previous threads about Orbs and Banlines? Because I find that hard to belive.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Exactly!  If the forums are a small indicator of the general population on mainland, the 0 second orbs are not as prevalent as some would have us think.  Personally, I haven't run into one recently and I've been spending more time on mainland recently than my previous 12 years.   

So, in reality, it's a NON-issue for the majority of SL users.   

I haven't run into it either because I no longer use vehicles or other modes of transport to travel across regions in S/L. When I did, I really did not get far before being bounced home or to other various places I wasn't intending to go. Not so much fun when one is unexpectedly bounced without warning. I'll only travel across regions in Opensim now as those are the only grids where I can avoid that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I haven't run into it either because I no longer use vehicles or other modes of transport to travel across regions in S/L. When I did, I really did not get far before being bounced home or to other various places I wasn't intending to go. Not so much fun when one is unexpectedly bounced without warning. I'll only travel across regions in Opensim now as those are the only grids where I can avoid that.

Interesting.  I've been on my bicycle, my motorcycle and my horse travelling around mainland and have not run into that at all.  Cars, I have no idea since I couldn't drive one if my life depended on it.  Aside from my little mouse car which I have used with no problems either.  I guess YMMV.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Interesting.  I've been on my bicycle, my motorcycle and my horse travelling around mainland and have not run into that at all.  Cars, I have no idea since I couldn't drive one if my life depended on it.  Aside from my little mouse car which I have used with no problems either.  I guess YMMV.

Yah I guess the problem was me using faster modes of transportation though I did experience 0 sec boots when sailing and running too close to someone's property line that stuck out into the water as I was trying to sail past.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.