Could this laptop be upgraded to handle SL ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Maybe take the opportunity to replace some of your other vintage equipment and spend fewer of your remaining days reinstalling everything to get a print out. As someone with a stupid collection of vintage computer junk, I can reliably inform you there are no prizes for being a techno masochist, so unless you explicitly enjoy wasting hours upon hours poking garbage, just don't. Life is too short.

This! This is why I sold/gave away a lot of my old pc's back in 2014. Then again I have a few Raspberry pi boards now lol but they don't take up much space and are good for emulating the older PC's as well. Emulation is awesome these days.

The oldest electronic gear I use is in the living room... a couple of VHS machines and a dual well cassette deck. And a few solid state guitar combo amps, I don't burn through tubes anymore! I'll leave it at that. ☺

(I miss having a Marshall stack at home lol, but I grew up a bit...)

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

You're playing a computationally intensive rendered virtual world as a primary hobby. Like any other entertainment hobby this needs some investment in equipment. Demanding to do this on equipment well over a decade old is about the same as having a car hobby and wondering why vintage tires just don't see the get the mileage new ones do, or why this replacement well loved exhaust already comes with rusty holes.

If your primary entertain hobby was reading, you could realistically expect to burn the same amount of money on books and shelves over the course of a couple of years (or far less depending on your tastes).

If you get a desktop PC setup, the kids can only spill pop in the keyboard..

Maybe take the opportunity to replace some of your other vintage equipment and spend fewer of your remaining days reinstalling everything to get a print out. As someone with a stupid collection of vintage computer junk, I can reliably inform you there are no prizes for being a techno masochist, so unless you explicitly enjoy wasting hours upon hours poking garbage, just don't. Life is too short.

Aaw. Don't take the enjoyment in getting something useful out of something old 😞  I've just spent hours over 2 days, getting some joy out of a very old printer (Epson Stylus Photo RX620) that was good back when XP and such were good. I got it free from FreeCycle a few years ago. Yesterday I decided that I want to print some decent quality photos, so I tried to hook it up with my Win10 desktop. It should hook up, but I tried and tried and tried again. I tried every way I could think of, and I just couldn't get its driver to be accepted. In the end I gave up and decided to try it with a Win8 laptop, also free from FreeCycle, and it hooked up with that all by itself, as it should do. It's still not ideal because I want the ability to manipulate the photos a bit (contrast, crop, and such), and I can only do that with other inputs - various cards and even film. It won't do it with the computer input.

The only card reader I have is in that printer, and the only cards I have are formatted in Linux for my Raspberry Pis, so I'm stuck for this evening. It's fine though, because the enjoyment is in trying various possible solutions before getting things working. In the end, I'll probably only print 2 photos, and that'll be that, but it'll have been enjoyable getting to that point :D

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Aaw. Don't take the enjoyment in getting something useful out of something old 😞 

I have a large collection of old, really old and positively vintage computer stuff. Playing with that brings me endless hours of fun, even if most of that is spent trying to trick in into working. That is an entirely different hobby though.

I could be typing this on some positively archaic kit, but I'm not as I have other things I'd like to do today :P

As for the photo printers, I have a lot stuff for XP era dye sublimation printers, they still produce great photo prints and so long as I have materials I'm not looking for a modern alternative. That said, I do keep a dedicated period accurate jacked up XP machine on hand just for using that old stuff (and XP era games) - I would advise against using a Pi or modern machine with such printers, as while you might get them printing with sufficient effort, the old XP drivers and workflow are really the only way to get moderately accurate color (because the printer is actually garbage and they covered it up on the software side).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I think most of us windows 10 users right now are just worried about the EOL for windows 10 in 2025,  unless MS fixes an screw up with windows 11 and it being locked down with a stick,  then I'm not sure what most of us will do then either.

The real problem with Win 11 is that the requirements don't make sense.

My i7 gaming rig doesn't meet requirements, but my crappy little i5 mini laptop does.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

My i7 gaming rig doesn't meet requirements, but my crappy little i5 mini laptop does.

Yes it is strange. I have an Acer Spin 11 about 3 years or so old that I use just for email and browsing,  very very low end hardware, came with Win 10..4gb of ram, a DUAL CORE intel N4000 and a 64gb soldered in drive, and I get notifications on it that it can run Windows 11...lol (It barely runs 10 so I can only imagine the crap show 11 would be on it.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

my dell meets it,  an i5 crappy unit that I picked up for a plex box.    the big boy here, zero tpm, hardware or software,  wont be able to touch it.    and the laptop, I've given up on, it can run windows 11 perfectly fine and dandy, but right now the driver stops working after using it for 3 hours...  does not do that on windows 10.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

TPM stuff is the blocker most of the time - If your machine is relatively recent, it will support it, however it might not be enabled in the bios. I use this to prevent Windows 11 installing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paul, and Bigmoe...here's some advice from my Resident Geek.

• Right-click on your start button and choose Run, or press Win+R
  • Type in “tpm.msc” and hit enter
  • On the TPM Management on Local Computer, you’ll be able to see whether you have TPM enabled on your system

If you see a message that says compatibility not found, then you’ll need to head over to your BIOS settings and check if there’s a TPM option.

In your BIOS, expand the Security tab and look for an option named “TPM Device” or “TPM Security.” If you’re using an Intel machine, the option will be labeled as “PTT,” which stands for “Intel Trusted Platform Technology.” For some AMD models, the option can also show up as “AMD fTPM Switch” Whatever it's called, enable it, then save and exit.

Now run the compatibility test again.

(But, the Resident Geek also adds, "don't upgrade to Windows 11 until you absolutely have to.")

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

• Type in “ tpm.msc ” and hit enter
  • On the TPM Management on Local Computer, you’ll be able to see whether you have TPM enabled on your system

If you see a message that says compatibility not found, then you’ll need to head over to your BIOS settings and check if there’s a TPM option.

In your BIOS, expand the Security tab and look for an option named “TPM Device” or “TPM Security.” If you’re using an Intel machine, the option will be labeled as “PTT,” which stands for “Intel Trusted Platform Technology.” For some AMD models, the option can also show up as “AMD fTPM Switch” Whatever it's called, enable it, then save and exit.

(But, the Resident Geek also adds, "don't upgrade to Windows 11 until you absolutely have to.")

Hi there.  I have zero tpm, asus x99 USB 3.1A board, no software tpm in bios,  hardware it has a header, but good luck getting the 2.0 plugin.  So it's very much a no go on my end at all.  I was shown a video while ago, that tells me I can install windows 11 without atleast one requirement, the tpm... but I do not use secure boot, zero reasons for using it,  I'm already bitlocked on every drive...

14 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

You're playing a computationally intensive rendered virtual world as a primary hobby. Like any other entertainment hobby this needs some investment in equipment. Demanding to do this on equipment well over a decade old is about the same as having a car hobby and wondering why vintage tires just don't see the get the mileage new ones do, or why this replacement well loved exhaust already comes with rusty holes.

cars are my primary hobby the youngest i own is 25 years old ,  I could could sell all three and buy a brand new car with change left over but why would i when nobody sells better than those i have . Nowadays they are all rolling laptops you see and even the manufacturer usually has no idea how to fix them when a drop of solder cracks .

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

This is exactly what is wrong with windows . It wants to be like the ipad which a 3 year old can work out how to use without instruction in about 10 minutes . 4 kids over 8 years learned to use the girlfriends ipad and it has never been fixed or in need of repair , it simply works . Shame i find touchscreen maddeningly frustrating . 

8 minutes ago, cunomar said:

Nowadays they are all rolling laptops you see and even the manufacturer usually has no idea how to fix them when a drop of solder cracks .

You can fix modern laptops (etc), but the tooling and skills to do so is far more specialized. They aren't explicitly designed to be unworkable, but miniaturization and part consolidation makes it all but impractical. I would, and I have .. but I hate high density surface mount work with a passion

6 minutes ago, cunomar said:

This is exactly what is wrong with windows . It wants to be like the ipad which a 3 year old can work out how to use without instruction in about 10 minutes . 4 kids over 8 years learned to use the girlfriends ipad and it has never been fixed or in need of repair , it simply works . Shame i find touchscreen maddeningly frustrating . 

Windows is what happens when there are strict commitments to legacy function (much like SL). Software going back decades can and does just run, but that in turns means you have to keep decades of interfaces hanging around. 

• Like 2

I spent 5 enjoyable hours cleaning my engine bay yesterday which is not easy when the bonnet is about 4.5ft high , looks better than new and it will be easier to clean next time i charge through mud and rivers far off grid where your more likely to find a skeleton than a technician . Different strokes for different folks .

6 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

TPM stuff is the blocker most of the time - If your machine is relatively recent, it will support it, however it might not be enabled in the bios. I use this to prevent Windows 11 installing.

6 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I've got the i7-7700, which is explicitly not compatible, apparently. So at some point I'll either put something like an i7-8700, 9700 or i9 in there, or think about a mobo upgrade and make it a full overhaul.

4 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I've got the i7-7700, which is explicitly not compatible, apparently. So at some point I'll either put something like an i7-8700, 9700 or i9 in there, or think about a mobo upgrade and make it a full overhaul.

I have an i7-7700 too and though I am not interested in going to Win 11 for now, I did run across a method for doing so if I wish.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Intel-Core-i7-7700-CPU-3-60GHz-does-not-support-Windows-11/m-p/1366071#M56688

Microsoft (you may find it useful) has a workaround which is a custom upgrade that it's only drawback is that it doesn't fully migrate your applications and you need to reinstall them, your Microsoft product key remains (no need to find and record), this is the procedure:

Windows 11 custom installation:

Performing a custom installation will delete all apps that you installed on your PC but it will not delete your current files, it will just move them into the C:\Windows.old folder as a backup. Once the Custom Installation if finished, you will be able to copy all files you want back from the C:Windows.old folder.

Select the Create Windows 11 Installation Media

Kindly follow these steps:

1. Please click this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

2. Select the "Download tool now" button below "Create Windows 11 Installation Media" After the download double click on the file to run the tool.

3.On the License terms page, if you accept the license terms, select Accept.

4. On the What do you want to do? page, select ISO and then select Next.

After the download > locate the ISO file > right click mount > open the ISO file > open Sources folder > click on Setup > then update your Windows using the ISO.

====

In order to upgrade your device to Windows 11, my best recommendation is to perform a Windows custom installation where it will install Windows 11. This process will change and override the current system files.

The  advantage of this is that it will not affect any of your personal files, settings and programs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

You might have a TPM header on your MB (check MB manual), in which case you can just get a plug in module and job done (Search Amazon for "TPM Chip")

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Ugh! I checked using your instructions (also seen on der Veb), and my trusty desktop does not have the TPM.  So, hopefully by the time Microsoft tries to make everyone use Windows 11, there will be some other option besides the hardware TPM.

14 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I used this guide to clean install Windows 11 on a ten year old ASUS laptop last October. It's got a puny 2 core Pentium B960 cpu, but 11 runs great on it for me. I used a legit win10 license for it, so it's not a pirated install. My newer laptop does contain a tpm 2.0 module, so that was easy to work with.

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/bypass-windows-11-tpm-requirement

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ugh! I checked using your instructions (also seen on der Veb), and my trusty desktop does not have the TPM.  So, hopefully by the time Microsoft tries to make everyone use Windows 11, there will be some other option besides the hardware TPM.

Check your BIOS, there might be one and it's just turned off.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Check your BIOS, there might be one and it's just turned off.

According to Google, my CPU does not have it: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K.

Yes, I know it is older..It runs OK for me!  I get great SPF.. ("Seconds per frame"..you crazy kids and your "FPS"!)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3410.01 MHz)
Memory: 32720 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19043.1706)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 23.21.13.9135
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 391.35

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

According to Google, my CPU does not have it: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K.

Yes, I know it is older..It runs OK for me!  I get great SPF.. ("Seconds per frame"..you crazy kids and your "FPS"!)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3410.01 MHz)

Oooof .. Um .. I retired that exact machine to be our in home file / minecraft server .. That CPU is a decade old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Oooof .. Um .. I retired that exact machine to be our in home file / minecraft server .. That CPU is a decade old.

Not sure what year I got it, but had it at least half my 15 SL years.. had to recently zip-tie the GPU case to the board, as the fan fell off! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.