Elon Musk buys Twitter to bring back Free Speech

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

34 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

In the olden days we used to call them protesters.

32 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

That was literally a protest against government mandates, its the left that painted them as terrorists. I for one am all for people raising their voice, when injustices happen.  I mean BLM protesters blocked vehicles and major streets, and we don't call them terrorists. I mean there were literally riots and an actual occupation of 6 blocks of a city. But we don't call them terrorists. So how is what the left did for BLM any different from what Canadians did in Canada during the protests? 

When there were hoards of guns involved, money coming in from known hate groups, federal watch lists, terror tactics used against the public, and no clear message, it's terrorism. BLM was a protest movement to bring to light the oppression of minorities. What happened in Canada was fringe groups using the pandemic to sow anarchy. They are not the same thing. And the protests were shut down because of said investigations.

If you're not following, this was also a another huge concern with them. When First Nations groups blocked infrastructure to protest the illegal seizure of treaty land, the police were sent in the the Right painted them like terrorists. Alberta, for example, passed laws against such protests. But then when white people blocked infrastructure, the Right called them heroes, the police dragged there feet, and the laws that Alberta passed about this very thing were not enacted.

Do you see the difference here? These are facts. What happened in Canada was disgraceful and showed why the BLM movement took place. It showed how hate groups can mask their actions and pretend that they were protesting COVID restrictions while all such restrictions were being lifted. It brought legal racist hypocrisy to light, because authorities failed to act in line with how the acted when First Nations groups were protesting a land invasion. These are not feelings. They are not opinions. This is what happened and this is why it's different.

Edited by HarrisonMcKenzie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

That is a big reason why platforms like Twitter are a blessing because at least you have access to sources of news that isn't being pushed by some Ministry of Truth.

Isn't your whole point* that Twitter discourse is being manipulated by a group with an agenda, though?

*Note: I did not use scare quotes around the word point. I totally did not.

1 minute ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

When there were hoards of guns involved, money coming in from known hate groups, federal watch lists, terror tactics used against the public, and no clear message, it's terrorism. BLM was a protest movement to bring to light the oppression of minorities. What happened in Canada was fringe groups using the pandemic to sow anarchy. They are not the same thing. And the protests were shut down because of said investigations.

If you're not following, this was also a another huge concern with them. When First Nations groups blocked infrastructure to protest the illegal seizure of treaty land, the police were sent in the the Right painted them like terrorists. Alberta, for example, passed laws against such protests. But then when white people blocked infrastructure, the Right called them heroes, the police dragged there feet, and the laws that Alberta passed about this very thing were not enacted.

Do you see the difference here? These are facts. What happened in Canada was disgraceful and showed the BLM movement took place. It showed how hate groups can mask their actions and pretend that they were protesting COVID restrictions while all such restrictions were being lifted. It brought legal racist hypocrisy to light, because authorities failed to act in line with how the acted when First Nations groups were protesting a land invasion. These are not feelings. They are not opinions. This is what happened and this is why it's different.

I would have to disagree, only a minority of the people protesting were of that nature. A majority were peacefully protesting against government mandates. And to add to that, the people who were peacefully protesting. Asked if there were anyone who was using violence and other stuff, that people turn them in. They even had a reward that they would pay to get them to turn them in. So no it is not different, there will always be a small group of people who will bring violence to protests and that is why you saw the riots and the occupation of the 6 blocks in that city during the BLM protests. I mean I live in Canada and I know that most of the truckers were just people fed up with the mandates. And then it turned into the actual people, people like me. Who got fed up with the government mandates and started protesting. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

Do you see the difference here? These are facts. What happened in Canada was disgraceful and showed the BLM movement took place. It showed how hate groups can mask their actions and pretend that they were protesting COVID restrictions while all such restrictions were being lifted. It brought legal racist hypocrisy to light, because authorities failed to act in line with how the acted when First Nations groups were protesting a land invasion. These are not feelings. They are not opinions. This is what happened and this is why it's different.

If a tiny, tiny minority has a few guns they brought (in manitoba?) that does not make the whole protest a terrorist action. If it did, then Antifa's involvement with BLM makes that also a terrorist plot rather then it taking advantage of a protest movement to sow discord on both sides. People do not bring their children, pets and put up bouncy castles to a terrorist event which was the case in Ottawa. Facts are facts, but how one interprets them makes a difference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:
15 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

So cruel.. so cruel..

You could try making that a separate thread, but it'd likely last all of five minutes. 🤣

"It's a Small World, After All.."

(repeat)

You're welcome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

The owners of said social media? It's very simple. If you're in my house, you play by my rules.

A private company can set up whatever rules about speech they want on their platform.

*sigh*... I don't agree with that (beaten to death) statement. It doesn't actually make sense. If you dictate what is censored and what isn't, what is pushed forward and what is held back and if you can influence, say... elections. Then this "we private company, we make rules"-BS doesn't fly. Specially not for a massive platform like Twitter or the book of faces, to name a couple.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

If a tiny, tiny minority has a few guns they brought (in manitoba?) that does not make the whole protest a terrorist action. If it did, then Antifa's involvement with BLM makes that also a terrorist plot rather then it taking advantage of a protest movement to sow discord on both sides. People do not bring their children, pets and put up bouncy castles to a terrorist event which was the case in Ottawa. Facts are facts, but how one interprets them makes a difference.

Interesting how the Powers That Be are also reluctant to use the "Terrorism" label if it is a "Lone Gunman".

8 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Isn't your whole point* that Twitter discourse is being manipulated by a group with an agenda, though?

*Note: I did not use scare quotes around the word point. I totally did not.

No, my point is that a moderation team with a strong political bias allows a group with an agenda to manipulate Twitter discourse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'm going to hell. I laughed so hard at this. Because it's TRUE.

Well, in some cases yeah, it's because the people who were being attacked were well-known enough and made enough mistakes (aiming the camera out the window and showing too much of their street or somesuch) for others to go digging and find stuff online.

However, there are bots that do it, too. If you aren't familiar with the #TwitchDoBetter movement from not too long ago, the tl;dr there is small minority streamers were getting abso-freaking-lutely flooded by bots spewing racist and homophobic rants using special characters to get around the built-in moderation systems. Unfortunately, some of these bots were also armed with streamers' personal info (addresses, numbers, etc.) and would spam their channels over and over and over, blasting it out. Soooo, that happened!

Twitch did NOT A THING (gee, surprise?) about it initially. Individual streamers and their fans couldn't do much, either, as the bots would spam so creatively, taking countermeasures would require manually banning millions of letter variations. I think someone did finally manage to script a system to slow things down, but it took a few months for the hate raids to stop. Twitch now has a verified chat system a streamer can turn on, requiring a separate phone verification in order to use the chat at all. That seems to have helped, but MAN were they slow getting that rolled out!

Like some of the 2 level verification's I've seen around.. Yea,I have that on a couple of things.. Even some forums are doing that now too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

No, my point is that a moderation team with a strong political bias allows a group with an agenda to manipulate Twitter discourse.

Show me a person with a lot of power who has no "political bias", and I will show you Diogenes, who was always on the search for an "honest man".  *Bonus: "He rejected the concept of "manners" as a lie and advocated complete truthfulness at all times and under any circumstance."

https://www.worldhistory.org/Diogenes_of_Sinope/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Why do people who have not participated in a thread feel a need to dictate what others are discussing?

I'm guessing it is something like "Spidey-senses", which was called in the latest Spiderman movies, "Peter-tingle".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

*sigh*... I don't agree with that (beaten to death) statement. It doesn't actually make sense. If you dictate what is censored and what isn't, what is pushed forward and what is held back and if you can influence, say... elections. Then this "we private company, we make rules"-BS doesn't fly. Specially not for a massive platform like Twitter or the book of faces, to name a couple.

When in history was this not the case, and what would the alternative be?

https://historyincharts.com/use-yellow-journalism-newspapers-1890s/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=use-yellow-journalism-newspapers-1890s

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

Like some of the 2 level verification's I've seen around.. Yea,I have that on a couple of things.. Even some forums are doing that now too.

Real talk - I kinda hate it. I have a cell but it's never activated. I almost never use the thing for actual conversation or messaging and if I need to use apps or whatever, woot - Wifi! 

So needing to authenticate myself on Twitch just annoys me to no end, LOL. I do understand streamers who use that feature, but I just haven't bothered doing it yet. When I activate my phone in the next...year or two I'll do that lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But we just started discussing the implications for Canada finally! 

I live in Ottawa. I saw it up close. The delusions and disinformation is already spewing forth faster than anybody can possibly respond, so killing it sooner is better than later.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Why do people who have not participated in a thread feel a need to dictate what others are discussing?

If they are anything like me, it is probably the temptation to involve oneself in a thread they know they had better not involve themselves in.  I must admit, there have been plenty of threads I wish would just die - not because I did not want others discussing it but I just did not want to entangle myself with the subject.  Being that I have little impulse control on the Internet, a complete failure on my own part.

I do wish SL forums offered people a way to block threads for this reason.

And I'm derailing the thread again, which I apologize for.  Anyway, I still don't think twitter is going to have free speech, I think the model is still going to be funded by ads, which will dictate quite a lot of the rules as well as being a global company that has to abide by the rules set by a variety of countries.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Real talk - I kinda hate it. I have a cell but it's never activated. I almost never use the thing for actual conversation or messaging and if I need to use apps or whatever, woot - Wifi! 

So needing to authenticate myself on Twitch just annoys me to no end, LOL. I do understand streamers who use that feature, but I just haven't bothered doing it yet. When I activate my phone in the next...year or two I'll do that lol.

I just use it for accounts that I want the extra protect on, not any kind of social networks or medias ot any kind of chatting or posting places.. It's more to authenticate who I am with much more personal accounts than anything..

Those I didn't have to have it but got it anyways for the extra protection..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I live in Ottawa. I saw it up close. The delusions and disinformation is already spewing forth faster than anybody can possibly respond, so killing it sooner is better than later.

Oh great, now that we start talking about YOUR country, you want the thread locked.  Where were you the last 35 pages? 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.