Elon Musk buys Twitter to bring back Free Speech

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

I wouldn't admit to agreeing with Steven Crowder on the color of the sky. Maybe you should reevaluate your beliefs.

Maybe you should practice what you preach and be more tolerant of other people's beliefs.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I've noticed people who I haven't blocked responding to claims that Musk's 'followers' have been on a crusade of hate.

I find that particularly interesting and worth commenting on.

Let us consider the concept of 'hate' on twitter.

I found this, and I imagine it's accurate:

Twitter states in its rules under "hateful conduct" that the company will permanently suspend any account that includes a "violent threat ... incites fears, or reduces someone to less than human," and under "glorification of violence," a user will be suspended for "specific threats of violence or wishing for serious physical harm, death, or disease to an individual or group of people."

Ok ... let's find a few shall we?

From Peter Fonda

rip Barron Trump from his mother's arms and put him in a cage with pedophiles and see if mother will stand up against the giant a-hole she is married to.

Fonda later deleted the tweet because of the amount of backlash he got. But according to twitter rules he should have been permanently banned.

Kristjen Nielsen is a lying gash that should be put in a cage and poked at by passersby. The gash should be pilloried in Layfayette Square naked and whipped by passersby while being filmed for posterity.

Again he deleted the tweet after backlash. Again - he should have been banned permanently.

Fonda was never banned from twitter.

Then there is Clementine Ford. You may never have heard of her ... she's Australian. She's also a feminist. She is also, by definition, a misandrist who uses every opportunity to spew hate at men.

Honestly, the corona virus isn't killing men fast enough.

When she received backlash for her HATE ... she claimed it proved how "fragile men are".

She deleted the tweet.

She also deleted the tweet where she posted

Kill all men

and

All men must die

Guess what ... Clementine Ford is still active on twitter. What happened to THAT permanent ban?

Note that I'm skipping the THOUSANDS of tweets that contained threats or wished death on President Trump ... that's low hanging fruit.

But what about Pete Forester who tweeted

I HATE WHITE PEOPLE

That's as clear an example of Hate Speech as you can get. Forester still has his twitter account. And his precious blue check mark.

I selected each of those examples because they were sufficiently high profile that twitter would have received hundreds, if not thousands, of reports about those tweets. Twitter, according to it's own rules, was REQUIRED to permanently ban those people.

Now for the really cool part:

All of this took place under Vijaya Gadde's watch.

But criticising her for that ... is regarded as hate speech.

No. Just NO. Calling someone out for rampant bias and (at the very least) incompetence is NOT hate speech. And no amount of spin from the regressives is going to make it so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, AnthonyJoanne said:

No. Just NO. Calling someone out for rampant bias and (at the very least) incompetence is NOT hate speech. And no amount of spin from the regressives is going to make it so.

The twits quoted, basically two people, completely anecdotal and irrelevant.

But this part of your post, I agree 100%, calling people out for biases is not hate speech, calling a racist, racist, is not hate speech.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Toxic Twitter – Women’s Experiences of Violence and Abuse on Twitter

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2018/03/online-violence-against-women-chapter-3/

________

Let’s Be Clear About What It’s Like to Be Harassed on Twitter

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/27/opinion/elon-musk-twitter-cesspool.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Thanks 3

You ever type up a lengthy response and then just totally and completely lose steam? Lol, I just don't have it in me.

I was going to post about the years of Twitter's lax moderation and how it's spawned off like eleventy-billion articles and investigations and reports criticizing them for it (thanks for linking one of them, @Luna Bliss ) but I just don't feel like it anymore 😂

Lemme just do a quick tl;dr version - Twitter can't get it right. They've tried every method they could come up with to mod their massive giant of a platform and they just don't know what they're even doing anymore. They posted an application in 2018 to recruit outside experts to help them learn to mod and foster a healthy community for crying out loud. Here we are now in 2022 and things are still a hot mess.

https://blog.twitter.com/official/en_us/topics/company/2018/twitter-health-metrics-proposal-submission.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

You ever type up a lengthy response and then just totally and completely lose steam? Lol, I just don't have it in me.

I was going to post about the years of Twitter's lax moderation and how it's spawned off like eleventy-billion articles and investigations and reports criticizing them for it (thanks for linking one of them, @Luna Bliss ) but I just don't feel like it anymore 😂

Lemme just do a quick tl;dr version - Twitter can't get it right. They've tried every method they could come up with to mod their massive giant of a platform and they just don't know what they're even doing anymore. They posted an application in 2018 to recruit outside experts to help them learn to mod and foster a healthy community for crying out loud. Here we are now in 2022 and things are still a hot mess.

https://blog.twitter.com/official/en_us/topics/company/2018/twitter-health-metrics-proposal-submission.html

Actually, that is a really good way to handle many things, especially online.. Sometimes just typing things out can be enough to blow off any steam..

I don't know how many times in the past that I have typed things up and then realized.. I'm not gonna post this! hehehe

Sometimes it's that I blew off the steam needed or that I just realized, it's not worth the effort and that I've already said what I said and no sense dragging it out..

It's really good therapy.. hehehe

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's totally fine.

It just frees up more time to plan the all those mass executions of men.

I picture a huge FIN army forming to battle against you.. hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Actually, that is a really good way to handle many things, especially online.. Sometimes just typing things out can be enough to blow off any steam..

I don't know how many times in the past that I have typed things up and then realized.. I'm not gonna post this! hehehe

Sometimes it's that I blew off the steam needed or that I just realized, it's not worth the effort and that I've already said what I said and no sense dragging it out..

It's really good therapy.. hehehe

Lol exactly. I do that a lot. But this time I just got overly tired halfway in like... man I really hate talking about Twitter LOL. I could be off watching comedy vids on TikTok or something right about now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Lol exactly. I do that a lot. But this time I just got overly tired halfway in like... man I really hate talking about Twitter LOL. I could be off watching comedy vids on TikTok or something right about now.

I couldn't agree more with you..

The way it sounds, you would think twitter is the government..

Chances are it's going to have even less impact than before.. Most things I ever see getting brought outside of it most of the time seem like internet dramas leaking into the real world.. hehehehe

The same goes for the whole left right thing getting pushed into ever aspect of our lives.. It's exhausting and not enough coal for the fire to build the steam anymore..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I couldn't agree more with you..

The way it sounds, you would think twitter is the government..

Chances are it's going to have even less impact than before.. Most things I ever see getting brought outside of it most of the time seem like internet dramas leaking into the real world.. hehehehe

The same goes for the whole left right thing getting pushed into ever aspect of our lives.. It's exhausting and not enough coal for the fire to build the steam anymore..

Yeah, it's extremely exhausting. I use it for fun and learning, and there IS a lot of good stuff on there, but man, it doesn't take much for the negativity to seep in. I've BEEN pretty annoyed on a personal level with how many years have gone by and they still can't get their moderation under control. To be fair, I feel that same way about other big platforms (Twitch, especially). I'm just so over how toxic it all is and thankful for places like Discord at least, where communities there can yeet spammers and troublemakers into orbit without hesitation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yeah, it's extremely exhausting. I use it for fun and learning, and there IS a lot of good stuff on there, but man, it doesn't take much for the negativity to seep in. I've BEEN pretty annoyed on a personal level with how many years have gone by and they still can't get their moderation under control. To be fair, I feel that same way about other big platforms (Twitch, especially). I'm just so over how toxic it all is and thankful for places like Discord at least, where communities there can yeet spammers and troublemakers into orbit without hesitation.

The reading I've been doing, It really sounded like the board was sitting on their butts the whole time..

I think that's why the CEO is glad they are pretty much gonna be out of there.. The stock hasn't done anything in pretty much it's whole existence sitting at around 20.00 per share for like 15 years..it makes like 5 billion a year.. Which in comparison to some others that have less impact but really raking it in, it souns like the board is really not trying..

From what I heard, the board was still sitting at home from the very first lock downs back in 2020.. hehehe

Sounds like they got inventors and then just sat on them for the whole ride..

Either way, it's more than likely going to be a done deal.. It won't matter a bit how much people try crying or smiling to change things..It never was in our hands..

My hope is that this knocks all those places down a few notches to where things stay a bit more in their realm rather than infecting so much outside them..

Just look how much news channels have came to depend on twitter stories.. hehehe

That's about as lazy as it gets.. hehehe

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Well, either we have a free press, or we don't. Is there some middle ground? How much government censorship is acceptable?

That does seem to me to be the heart of the matter - if one considers Twitter to be part of the press, and since news sources quote it a lot that's arguably true.

I see several posts in this thread that seem to be hinting at some sort of code of conduct for people with large audiences to behave in a certain way, almost as if they are elected officials with a sacred trust to keep society peaceful. I'm not actually against that, but the question then becomes, in the cultural and legal context of the US, how would this work? 

Can't really dodge that question - who will decide what's acceptable to say on social media, and how?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The reading I've been doing, It really sounded like the board was sitting on their butts the whole time..

I think that's why the CEO is glad they are pretty much gonna be out of there.. The stock hasn't done anything in pretty much it's whole existence sitting at around 20.00 per share for like 15 years..it makes like 5 billion a year.. Which in comparison to some others that have less impact but really raking it in, it souns like the board is really not trying..

From what I heard, the board was still sitting at home from the very first lock downs back in 2020.. hehehe

Sounds like they got inventors and then just sat on them for the whole ride..

Either way, it's more than likely going to be a done deal.. It won't matter a bit how much people try crying or smiling to change things..It never was in our hands..

I'm still not overly convinced he wants the responsibility. Being able to slide on moderation has worked thus far, and Twitter has always touted itself as some sort of free speech haven, but as has been pointed out, there are a slew of new regulations working their way through the pipeline and IF those get passed, Twitter will have to figure out their mess real quick. They just waited too long - people have been begging Jack for yearrrrrrrrrs to do a better job moderating the platform, but here we are.

16 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

My hope is that this knocks all those places down a few notches to where things stay a bit more in their realm rather than infecting so much outside them..

I don't think this part can be helped much. It happens absolutely everywhere and with everything. Twitter just gets the most attention since so many news orgs are on it and they use it to generate a ton of headlines.

But essentially, if a big famous YouTuber says or does something important or controversial or stirs up drama with another one, it winds up on Twitter. If a big famous Twitch streamer says or does something important or controversial, it winds up on Reddit, and probably on Twitter. If a big famous celebrity posts a dramatic Instagram story, it winds up freaking everywhere - news, Twitter, freaking TMZ, all of it. If a well-known TikTok star does something, it'll wind up on Twitter. If they dance well enough, it'll wind up in Fortnite. Pro-Fortnite player wins millions in a tournament, it winds up on Twitter and Reddit and clips of the big win will be all over YouTube. 

Long story short - it's all connected, pretty much. Hell, I remember when Chrissy Teigen's Insta posts were circulating all over Twitter and then she came back to Twitter and it made headlines and trended for dayyyyyyys omg. She's one of the few people who can set every dang platform on fire simultaneously. 😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'm still not overly convinced he wants the responsibility. Being able to slide on moderation has worked thus far, and Twitter has always touted itself as some sort of free speech haven, but as has been pointed out, there are a slew of new regulations working their way through the pipeline and IF those get passed, Twitter will have to figure out their mess real quick. They just waited too long - people have been begging Jack for yearrrrrrrrrs to do a better job moderating the platform, but here we are.

I don't think this part can be helped much. It happens absolutely everywhere and with everything. Twitter just gets the most attention since so many news orgs are on it and they use it to generate a ton of headlines.

But essentially, if a big famous YouTuber says or does something important or controversial or stirs up drama with another one, it winds up on Twitter. If a big famous Twitch streamer says or does something important or controversial, it winds up on Reddit, and probably on Twitter. If a big famous celebrity posts a dramatic Instagram story, it winds up freaking everywhere - news, Twitter, freaking TMZ, all of it. If a well-known TikTok star does something, it'll wind up on Twitter. If they dance well enough, it'll wind up in Fortnite. Pro-Fortnite player wins millions in a tournament, it winds up on Twitter and Reddit and clips of the big win will be all over YouTube. 

Long story short - it's all connected, pretty much. Hell, I remember when Chrissy Teigen's Insta posts were circulating all over Twitter and then she came back to Twitter and it made headlines and trended for dayyyyyyys omg. She's one of the few people who can set every dang platform on fire simultaneously. 😂

That's very true how things just link up.. hehehe

When there isn't much we can do about it, I always resort to, It'll all come out in the wash.. hehehe

Ok I'm logging in world..  I have a a place I need to decorate.. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yea I just watched the 3 hour Robert Pattinson batman instead of reading forums. I wonder how often the people mad at twitter actually are on twitter? I think it's like being mad at something that is not even a part of your life. I just use twitter to look for interesting videos. 

• Like 2

Disclaimer - haven't read the thread, don't have Twitter account, very much enjoying watching the meltdowns over something so insignificant in the scheme of things.  People can actually live without Twitter.  

And I really hope he does buy McDonald's and fixes those darn ice cream machines!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rilee Dallas said:

Yea I just watched the 3 hour Robert Pattinson batman instead of reading forums. I wonder how often the people mad at twitter actually are on twitter? I think it's like being mad at something that is not even a part of your life. I just use twitter to look for interesting videos. 

I really loved that movie..:)

21 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Just heard about this on the news. Adam West replaced Robert Pattinson.

I put that one in the, make us laugh thread earlier.. It's hilarious.. hehehe

The title of the video even cracked me up..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.