Returning Player Lost Touch

TifaAndrea Blackwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 742 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi. It's been awhile since I've been back, off and on. I started SL in 2009 and back then had so so many friends and part of a big community. Due to my hectic job  I had to leave everything behind. When I came back, few years back, all was so different. I'm not so active as before as I don't have much time to build or create.. I log in to explore the wonders of SL as I always have..still in aw of what SL has to offer even now. My time zone doesn't help when I log in (GMT+8) everything and most places are so quiet.

The only thing is I feel I've lost the touch on going out and making new friends like before. Its easy to make 'friends' at certain areas but I do miss that community vibe I used to be part of. 

I'd like to make new friends, hang out, dance, go explore places. I'm curious if there's a social media for SL goers to keep in touch when they're busy to log in.

• Like 4

Try London City, for example. It’s a hangout area with dancing spots and indeed a community vibe to it. Though some people (especially new players) tend to blindly send friendship requests left & right, many veterans there have a worthier concept of actual friendship, if you have the patience to build real connections.

As for media, far as I can see lately much of it is done through Discord, probably because its strong mobile presence.

• Like 1

Linden Lab ought to have some "coach tours", or the SL equivalent, for those returning, newbies, or those who have lost their mojo generally, so we can climb aboard, be shown some sights, get a feel for it all again. 

I usually end up either in a skills gaming region or a sandbox waiting for inspiration. I haven't even been able to find the time to log in for three weeks, and was intending to sit in a coffee house or gate crash a party (or a vehicle out driving/sailing/flying) somewhere. On checking some old landmarks I found a lot of places had gone. 

• Like 4

Im having the same problem, RL i recently started a new job and unfortunately in my town most places are closed besides bars when i get off work. I used to be on SL all the time in various communities and had so many adventures but now i cant find many places to go. Most of my old friends are gone so i find myself logging in and searching destinations with most of the time not much coming of it. Either the sims are empty or its a chaotic emote spam club, i miss the community aspect of this game but i have no idea where to go or even who to talk too so i can get a direction. A SL center or tour as stated above would be a really good idea. I would do it myself if i knew where to go.

On 3/25/2022 at 8:20 AM, Kalegthepsionicist said:

@Ren Toxxwhat is wrong with random friend req ? 🙄

you have ability to unfriend and block people , its free no cost L

Yes that's exactly what I do with random friend requests.

What's wrong with them? 

• 100% of them come from people I know nothing about, so I have no basis on which to form a friendship.
  • 99% of them come from desperate men who want nothing from me except sex.
  • 99% of them come from people who have not read my profile, and would not want anything to do with me if they had.
  • 99% of them come from people who are not the sort of people I would ever want to be friends with in the first place. 

The people who are the sort of people I would want to be friends with, do not send random friends requests.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Yes that's exactly what I do with random friend requests.

What's wrong with them? 

• 100% of them come from people I know nothing about, so I have no basis on which to form a friendship.
  • 99% of them come from desperate men who want nothing from me except sex.
  • 99% of them come from people who have not read my profile, and would not want anything to do with me if they had.
  • 99% of them come from people who are not the sort of people I would ever want to be friends with in the first place. 

The people who are the sort of people I would want to be friends with, do not send random friends requests.

Something doesn't quite add up there. 🙃

14 hours ago, Daedaelus Xorbun said:

Im having the same problem, RL i recently started a new job and unfortunately in my town most places are closed besides bars when i get off work. I used to be on SL all the time in various communities and had so many adventures but now i cant find many places to go. Most of my old friends are gone so i find myself logging in and searching destinations with most of the time not much coming of it. Either the sims are empty or its a chaotic emote spam club, i miss the community aspect of this game but i have no idea where to go or even who to talk too so i can get a direction. A SL center or tour as stated above would be a really good idea. I would do it myself if i knew where to go.

Sadly places come and go but there's still many busy areas. There's lots of blogs online with suggestions on that front or if you're looking for something specific, may be worth asking on here too. 

But sure overall it seems to feel less busy overall and I think SL peaked quite a few years ago. Part of the issue is that it is only really suitable for people who have/use a PC/laptop. I have many friends rl who no longer have either as they find they can do everything they need on a smart phone or tablet, or on low spec laptop such as a Chromebook. - none of which are really suitable for SL. Casual users may be more than happy to sacrifice SL if it means they don't have to fork out for half decent laptop or PC. Imo they need to find a way to make SL compatible & suitable for use with a wider range of devices. It would require some major server, software & UI design changes, but would be good to see.

Edited by Exavor Diesel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

At the beginning of May I've been here for four years. Nothing remarkable about that compared to some.

But here's my summary of what I've found:

Sims/locations vanish. Even the popular ones. Others prevail but at the times I explore are often deserted. Or as noted above, crowded and spam filled local chat.

Friends vanish. Often without a word.

Friending someone too fast almost always fails after a few days.

Friendships are challenging when timezones differ, and sometimes even when they don't. I'm SLT+8. I'm never in world after 12noon SLT. Nor do I get in world Tuesdays or Wednesdays. So I feel like I miss out on the afternoon and evening goings on in standard SLTime. 

At the same time I'm a lone wolf really, so none of this matters much. I use Discord to gossip with my close family and that is a big part of my SL, because I can do that throughout my day.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Tif. You have been a resident for a long time! I've been here since 2011 and I am always finding new places to explore. SL is endless it seems.

I am a part of a large community and it's pretty active all the time. We are a large group of fishers and gold hunters. The only time things get a bit slow in group chat is sometimes around 12:00 AM eastern to about 2:00 AM Eastern. Then those on the other side of the pond start coming online and everything picks up again.

If you are interested we are a super friendly group and would love to have you give us a try. You can find us at:

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Business Park/104/149/22

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 742 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.