Any (Active) Lolita Fashion Communities in SL? (+ Interest Check)

Hime Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi! So, I'm a lolita fashion enthusiast and lifestyler in RL, and I used to be really active in my local community before the pandemic happened, and after lockdown, I decided to give Second Life a go! And after seeing some japanese fashion enthusiasts here in the SL community, I wanted to ask if any of you knew if there are any active lolita fashion communities in which I can mingle with other fellow lolita lovers? I'd love it to be somewhat resembling an actual community, with meet-ups and tea parties and the like, LOL - but even a group of people that love lolita fashion as much as I do would be absolutely wonderful. I'd just love to hang out with likeminded residents that love to wear lolita, both in RL and SL (or just SL! That absolutely works too!).

Onto the idea of a lolita community that hosts meets and events in-world, please let me know if you would be interested in a virtual community as such! Because if it doesn't exist, I'd be 100% down to make it, LOL.

But yeah! Thank you so much for the help, if any of you know anything of the such, please don't hesitate to let me know, because I'm greatly interested. ❤️

MANDATORY EDIT: Because I should've expected people saying "hey that's an illegal thing" or "oh you mean like the book?" in the forums LMAO. No, when I talk "lolita fashion" I am talking about a specific Japanese fashion subculture that has nothing to do with the book written by Nabokov, nor things involving pedophilia. Likewise, lolita is not related to kinks like DDLG or any BDSM lifestyles. When I say I am a "lifestyler lolita", it means I wear lolita fashion and partake in my local lolita communities in a frequent basis.

I hope this serves as a proper explanation to not get this post reported. If you'd like to learn more, the third post below has a couple posts with depictions of lolita fashion and explanations about what is (and what is not) lolita fashion.

I will have zero tolerance for people try to explain lolita fashion to me because I've had that happen to me in the past and me and my fellow lolita friends are tired of being sexualized and linked to fetishes and pedophiles, smh.

With that being said, thank you very much. 🙏

Edited by Hashiyukas
Please read the "mandatory edit" part before you think about reporting the post.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, belindacarson said:

The FBI probably like to discuss it with you 🙄

By lolita fashion I’m talking a Japanese fashion subculture that takes elements inspired by victorian and rococo fashion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita_fashion

(Lor, the girl in the video, is wearing lolita in it)

One of the key elements of the fashion is elegance, and above everything, modesty. It has nothing to do with the book of the same name, and it has nothing to do with fetish or anything that involves illegality.  None of those are related 😊

Edited by Hashiyukas
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi Hashiyukas! I used to be fairly active in some real life goth scenes both in NYC and London yearrrrrs ago, so I'm pretty familiar with EGL. The look is super cute and looked great on others, but it's wayyyyy too cute for me, LOL, so I never got into it myself. I always ran for the PVC and metal hardware (quite literally) when putting together my outfits.

Funny enough, I have NOT actually seen that fashion style much in SL at all in years. Then again, goth and steampunk fashion are also a bit difficult to find these days. I remember there were more stores around for it, but that was so long ago. Unfortunately, I don't know of any active communities for it, either.

Couple ideas:

1 - You could maybe try looking through https://www.seraphimsl.com/ and look through some Japanese fashion events listed on there. Try running a search for Harajuku, Neo-Japan, and Tokyo Zero, and browse their current and past events to see if you find anything. If you do, find some creators you like, and maybe contact them and see if they know of more fashion events and communities.

2 - Check Flickr. Run some searches like "EGL Second Life" and see what you come up with. If you find some fashionistas that way, maybe try to reach out and see if they know of anything.

3 - Do some manual checks around the marketplace and inworld for stores selling dresses, hair, shoes, etc. in that style. Check out the creators and have a chat.

If you get nowhere with any of that, it probably means the community is tiny or doesn't exist. At that point, you'll have to decide if it's worth it to start one up. Worst case scenario, you can start your own group and spin up some events of your own, but if the clothing is difficult to find, that might be a moot point anyway.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Edit: Oh, let me add one more idea - join store and event groups for the above-mentioned fashion events. If the chats are active, you can try asking around in there.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
I can't count apparently!
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Hashiyukas said:

Hi! So, I'm a lolita fashion enthusiast and lifestyler in RL, and I used to be really active in my local community before the pandemic happened, and after lockdown, I decided to give Second Life a go! And after seeing some japanese fashion enthusiasts here in the SL community, I wanted to ask if any of you knew if there are any active lolita fashion communities in which I can mingle with other fellow lolita lovers? I'd love it to be somewhat resembling an actual community, with meet-ups and tea parties and the like, LOL - but even a group of people that love lolita fashion as much as I do would be absolutely wonderful. I'd just love to hang out with likeminded residents that love to wear lolita, both in RL and SL (or just SL! That absolutely works too!).

Onto the idea of a lolita community that hosts meets and events in-world, please let me know if you would be interested in a virtual community as such! Because if it doesn't exist, I'd be 100% down to make it, LOL.

But yeah! Thank you so much for the help, if any of you know anything of the such, please don't hesitate to let me know, because I'm greatly interested. ❤️

MANDATORY EDIT: Because I should've expected people saying "hey that's an illegal thing" or "oh you mean like the book?" in the forums LMAO. No, when I talk "lolita fashion" I am talking about a specific Japanese fashion subculture that has nothing to do with the book written by Nabokov, nor things involving pedophilia. Likewise, lolita is not related to kinks like DDLG or any BDSM lifestyles. When I say I am a "lifestyler lolita", it means I wear lolita fashion and partake in my local lolita communities in a frequent basis.

I hope this serves as a proper explanation to not get this post reported. If you'd like to learn more, the third post below has a couple posts with depictions of lolita fashion and explanations about what is (and what is not) lolita fashion.

I will have zero tolerance for people try to explain lolita fashion to me because I've had that happen to me in the past and me and my fellow lolita friends are tired of being sexualized and linked to fetishes and pedophiles, smh.

With that being said, thank you very much. 🙏

Too late 🙂

I don't know about any communities per se, but I have seen a fair few people in Lolita attire. Can't say whether they're proper lifestylers though.

• Like 1

Hi! I'm very into lolita irl, I have a male avatar on here though so idk if I'd be able to participate in sl, but I just wanted to say how nice it is to see someone with one of the same hobbies that I have. The lor video was a great response btw. If I ever get around to making a female ava on here I might be interested in attending sometime 😊

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, biglazagna said:

Hi! I'm very into lolita irl, I have a male avatar on here though so idk if I'd be able to participate in sl...

One of my male friends back in the day didn't let that stop him whatsoever. If he could pull that look off in real life (skirts and all!), I'm sure you could find a way to do it here in SL, lol. 🤣

Wait, come to think of it - isn't there a male fashion variation of this? I don't know if it exists AT ALL in SL, though. I've seen it around on Pinterest.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

One of my male friends back in the day didn't let that stop him whatsoever. If he could pull that look off in real life (skirts and all!), I'm sure you could find a way to do it here in SL, lol. 🤣

Wait, come to think of it - isn't there a male fashion variation of this? I don't know if it exists AT ALL in SL, though. I've seen it around on Pinterest.

Yeah there are a few male variations, most common is probably ouji style. I more worry about being able to find proper lolita fashion ie dresses and whatnot modelled to fit a male body lol. I'm a guy too, I love my dresses and stuff irl, ain't the people stopping me, more of a model compatibility thing on here. Haven't really looked extensively though to be fair.

edited to add: also it would send me rolling on the floor to see my ava Eliott all dolled up in sweet lolita 🤣 He'd kill me

Edited by biglazagna
more info
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, biglazagna said:

Yeah there are a few male variations, most common is probably ouji style. I more worry about being able to find proper lolita fashion ie dresses and whatnot modelled to fit a male body lol. I'm a guy too, I love my dresses and stuff irl, ain't the people stopping me, more of a model compatibility thing on here. Haven't really looked extensively though to be fair.

edited to add: also it would send me rolling on the floor to see my ava Eliott all dolled up in sweet lolita 🤣 He'd kill me

LOL. It's a lot easier to pull it off in real life. Except shoes - I would think finding feminine shoes in male sizes in RL is a pain in the beep boop.

SL bodies do have all kinds of limitations, it's true. My male avatars are more feminine than my female ones, so it's all a big giant pain getting them all dressed how I want. That said, I actually know how to pull that off, IF (big if), there's any actual clothing around for it.

Easiest way would be Maitreya + V-Tech. This, of course, relies heavily on whether or not people are even making EGL dresses for the V-Tech to begin with.  

For male bodies, there are some options for feminine clothes, but again, not EGL. And designers seem to favor Jake for that, so if you're in Legacy, good luck.

Short version - We should all just learn 3D at this point!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I run across tons of Lolita fashions in SL. Clothing, decor, hairstyles, accessories, devoted to it, it's as common in world as the Kupra is becoming. And I'm speaking about Lolita fashion in the same way the OP is understanding it. I can post a bucketload of links if you want.

Nice! I had no idea it still existed as I haven't run into it much myself. Offline, you can't get within a mile of a goth club and not see it, so I was a bit surprised it didn't seem as popular here.

I'm always on a never ending search for up-to-date (not flexi) Steampunk and Victorian goth fashion, if you've got any leads on that, too. 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I run across tons of Lolita fashions in SL. Clothing, decor, hairstyles, accessories, devoted to it, it's as common in world as the Kupra is becoming. And I'm speaking about Lolita fashion in the same way the OP is understanding it. I can post a bucketload of links if you want.

Please send links!

12 hours ago, Phosphophyllite Trick said:

Please send links!

Okay here are an initial few off the top of my head, I'll do some more research later ... 

Boopy, Monso hair, DP Yum Yum, Moon Amore, Bauhaus, Half Deer, Dust Bunny, Soy, Taikou, moss&mink, Body Language (for AOs), Altair, Candy Kitten, Cheezu, error, insomnia angel, Lomomo, Lunar, Miwas, Mossu, Pixicat, Pahedora, Polar Bunny, Sweet Thing, Sweet Kajira, Tokyo Girl, MORBID. Maybe RebelPill but some of their stuff is not Lolita-themed, much more Kawaii.

That should get you started! Hit Cheezu first :)

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Ah, the dangers of a modest, frilly, feminine fashion! OMG! 🤣

I think it's more about the 'adult' Lolita groups that comes to mind for a lot of people.  Lolita Dreams has been around for years with their questionably 18+ avatars.  At least for the West, Lolita has a less than wholesome association.  

While I don't think the OP means it in any adult way, it is seen that way by many.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolicon

The phrase "Lolita complex", derived from the novel Lolita, entered use in Japan in the 1970s, when sexual imagery of the shōjo (idealized young girl) was expanding in the country's media. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I think it's more about the 'adult' Lolita groups that comes to mind for a lot of people.  Lolita Dreams has been around for years with their questionably 18+ avatars.  At least for the West, Lolita has a less than wholesome association.  

While I don't think the OP means it in any adult way, it is seen that way by many.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolicon

The phrase "Lolita complex", derived from the novel Lolita, entered use in Japan in the 1970s, when sexual imagery of the shōjo (idealized young girl) was expanding in the country's media. 

I'm aware of what many people in the west think, when they hear the name. Its understandable, to some degree. My response to belinda stems from my feeling that she is "misunderstanding" on purpose. Ignoring, that completely different things with similar names can exist without being the same thing. Insisting on ones position, even after the attempt of clearing up said misunderstanding is behond ignorant and silly. Its bordering on wanting to be offended and offend.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

I'm aware of what many people in the west think, when they hear the name. Its understandable, to some degree. My response to belinda stems from my feeling that she is "misunderstanding" on purpose. Ignoring, that completely different things with similar names can exist without being the same thing. Insisting on ones position, even after the attempt of clearing up said misunderstanding is behond ignorant and silly. Its bordering on wanting to be offended and offend.

Her responses are seldom helpful and taken by most with a grain of salt.  

Personally, I think the look is adorable.  I have an item or 2 in somewhat the same style.  Sounds like an idea for a pic.  😊

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Nice! I had no idea it still existed as I haven't run into it much myself. Offline, you can't get within a mile of a goth club and not see it, so I was a bit surprised it didn't seem as popular here.

I'm always on a never ending search for up-to-date (not flexi) Steampunk and Victorian goth fashion, if you've got any leads on that, too. 😄

Try Pixel Box for Victorian Steampunk. Also search on Marketplace with "Steampunk AND Mesh" or "Victorian AND Mesh". Using AND in caps between search terms helps to limit the search to items that have both terms in their description.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.