waves

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ā  Ā Nah.Ā  Ā 

"How true is it that TV and radio signals travel infinitely through space?

The statementĀ isnā€™t true at all. We have always heard that TV and Radio signal have travelledĀ over 80 light years, give or take. Well that works out on paper but what is important is can the information be retrieved? It canā€™t due to some basic communication basics. The truth is that the radio or TV signals from the most powerful stations are so weak by the time they pass Uranus that they are not recoverable. That is they are buried in noise.

It is this equation:

noise=kTBnoise=kTB

k is Boltzmann'sĀ constant =Ā 1.38064852x10āˆ’23kgsāˆ’2Kāˆ’11.38064852x10āˆ’23kgsāˆ’2Kāˆ’1

T = temperature inĀ kelvins

B = bandwidth in Hz.

Now you ask how about Voyager or New Horizons? Well two things. First they have a very high gain antenna. Second is the extremely low data rates. New Horizon is sending data back at the rate of 5 bits per second. Which is why it took months to down load the images of Pluto."

Ā  Ā Source:Ā https://www.quora.com/How-true-is-it-that-TV-and-radio-signals-travel-infinitely-through-space/answer/John-BĆøgelund-Unger

Ā  Ā So, no, some far-away super-hi-tech civilization isn't going to be able to decode your Second Life chat logs or your Facebook feed.Ā 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Everything my avatar does is projected into the cosmos as energy waves of interpretable data and one day some alien civilization will pick them up.

no it isnt.

But considering this and the other thread, you are having some sort of crisis, regarding the permanence of our actions, wich is a great and very vast topic. But it is the oposite of punk.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Ā  Ā Nah.Ā  Ā 

"How true is it that TV and radio signals travel infinitely through space?

The statementĀ isnā€™t true at all. We have always heard that TV and Radio signal have travelledĀ over 80 light years, give or take. Well that works out on paper but what is important is can the information be retrieved? It canā€™t due to some basic communication basics. The truth is that the radio or TV signals from the most powerful stations are so weak by the time they pass Uranus that they are not recoverable. That is they are buried in noise.

It is this equation:

noise=kTBnoise=kTB

k is Boltzmann'sĀ constant =Ā 1.38064852x10āˆ’23kgsāˆ’2Kāˆ’11.38064852x10āˆ’23kgsāˆ’2Kāˆ’1

T = temperature inĀ kelvins

B = bandwidth in Hz.

Now you ask how about Voyager or New Horizons? Well two things. First they have a very high gain antenna. Second is the extremely low data rates. New Horizon is sending data back at the rate of 5 bits per second. Which is why it took months to down load the images of Pluto."

Ā  Ā Source:Ā https://www.quora.com/How-true-is-it-that-TV-and-radio-signals-travel-infinitely-through-space/answer/John-BĆøgelund-Unger

Ā  Ā So, no, some far-away super-hi-tech civilization isn't going to be able to decode your Second Life chat logs or your Facebook feed.Ā 

This is very true and I thank you for pointing this out.
But we know how exoplanets are discovered and we know how to analyze the chemistry of the most irradiated elements.
And let's not mention the fact that in 20 or 30 years we will have a much more powerful telescope than the unstable and precarious James Webb.

Ā  Ā Having better telescopes in the future doesn't change anything about how radio waves are dispersed in space, though.

Ā  Ā The point is, by the time radio waves leave our solar system, they're practically indistinguishable from the naturally occurring radio waves already in space. Thus, there won't be anything much for a far-distant civilizations to detect.

Ā  Ā "Shostak calculates that Nasa's recent broadcast of Beatles music towards Polaris, the North Star, using a 210ft antenna and 20kW of power, would require any potential aliens to have an antenna seven miles across to be aware of it. To actually receive it as music, this would need to be increased to a 500-mile wide antenna."

Ā  Ā Source:Ā http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7544915.stmĀ  Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tama Suki said:

Everything my avatar does is projected into the cosmos as energy waves of interpretable data and one day some alien civilization will pick them up.

If that alien civilization is sitting in Earth's orbit using one of those unidentified flying objects, then yeah.Ā 

2 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

30 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

But I've never talked about radio waves.

"Radio" describes a subset of the electromagnetic spectrum on which we transmit information. The entire spectrum is the only way energy/information can be projected. Orwar's explanation of signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) applies to any energy you might project. His explanation is also superfluous in situations where the SNR is already too low for interpretation at the source.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

It is not possible to block someone on this forum.

It is possible to block/ignore someone and you will then not see their posts.Ā  However, it is not a perfect block - if anyone quotes the blocked person, that is still shown.

@Tama SukiĀ several people in these fora already have you on ignore, so you will not get as many replies as you have in the past.Ā  You have fun and thought-provoking ideas for posts, but unfortunately in a page or two they become flame-fests and personal insults. They then predictably get locked.Ā  This wave thread may not have been well thought out because there are science nerds, engineers, and doctors of various sorts here to call out the incorrect thinking and fallacies and explain in aĀ nauseatingly long and boring maths lecturesĀ where you went wrong(I actually enjoy those posts a great deal šŸ˜.)Ā  Yes, you can block/ignore people and not see their posts.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is possible to block/ignore someone and you will then not see their posts.Ā  However, it is not a perfect block - if anyone quotes the blocked person, that is still shown.

More of all he can see and interact with your contect, so alsoo silencing Is totally unusefull.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

@Tama SukiĀ several people in these fora already have you on ignore, so you will not get as many replies as you have in the past.Ā  You have fun and thought-provoking ideas for posts, but unfortunately in a page or two they become flame-fests and personal insults. They then predictably get locked.Ā  This wave thread may not have been well thought out because there are science nerds, engineers, and doctors of various sorts here to call out the incorrect thinking and fallacies and explain in aĀ nauseatingly long and boring maths lecturesĀ where you went wrong(I actually enjoy those posts a great deal šŸ˜.)Ā  Yes, you can block/ignore people and not see their posts.

Oh yeah sure. You are very good at writing certain things and I have a deep respect for your authority and experience, I am certainly intimidated. You know every now and then it also happens that some of my posts in this forum are preyed upon and published on newspapers. But certainly your words have really impressed me tonight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

its time to take your medicine .. bro

Ā 

ps:

double the dose šŸ¤£

H4jl.gif

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.