Impressions of the new user experience ..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 844 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

See also: fs_look_at [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki] (firestormviewer.org)

Please note that others can disable their Look At beacons (see below), so enabling this doesn't guarantee that you will see everyone's camera position.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

So, you just attack anyone who has lookats disabled because you think they might do something bad to you. You're way more paranoid than I have ever been.

I'm afraid we're going very off topic.
Anyway no. I thought it was clear I was referring to a very different situation from the norm of SL as I was expanding a very interesting thread of @Lucia Nightfire that if i am not wrong knows very well WT.

Edited by Tama Suki

4 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I'm afraid we're going very off topic.
Anyway no. I thought it was clear I was referring to a very different situation from the norm of SL as I was expanding a very interesting thread of @Lucia Nightfire that if i am not wrong knows very well WT.

I've read this 5 times and still can't make sense of it. What is WT?  No, don't bother. I'd rather not know.

headbang-head-banging.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I've read this 5 times and still can't make sense of it. What is WT?  No, don't bother. I'd rather not know.

headbang-head-banging.gif

i'm use at WT and JR but now i'm a good boy and i don't move from SLEA 😂

Edited by Tama Suki
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Gamers don't come to the forums much, so their jargon isn't well known here.  From what I understand, "WT" is used to mean something like "Ooops" or "My bad".  It's short for "Wrong Tell", meaning "I misinterpreted the signal". Specialized jargon helps with quick, compressed communication, but only makes sense in its home culture. Otherwise it's just confusing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

I was there for a while and I noticed an avatar who did nothing but look at the profiles of everyone present including mine.
He did nothing but that all the time, looking at everyone's profiles cyclically, without stopping.
Maybe whoever created that bot doesn't know you can know what they're doing by looking at their look at.

There is absolutely no way to know if an avatar is reading a profile.

The 'Look At' is simply where the avatar clicked their camera last.  They could easily be camming around that point, looking at other stuff.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tama Suki said:

The color changes depending on what the avatar is doing.
When it is black it indicates that he has opened a profile and is looking at it.
These are things you learn when you decide to set out on the Bushido route in SL.

Nope.

Here is the meaning of the colors -- nowhere does it mention reading a profile:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Show_Look_At

Edited:  Hadn't read far enough to know that Rowan posted this exact same thing.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Gamers don't come to the forums much, so their jargon isn't well known here.  From what I understand, "WT" is used to mean something like "Ooops" or "My bad".  It's short for "Wrong Tell", meaning "I misinterpreted the signal". Specialized jargon helps with quick, compressed communication, but only makes sense in its home culture. Otherwise it's just confusing.

Still doesn't make sense but then most of his posts sound like some kind of alien language to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Lately I have been intimidated by the fact of going off topic and I thank our very kind guess @Coffee Pancake for her patience. 
WT stands for Weapon Testing sandbox. Very, very well known. 😕

Edited by Tama Suki
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Aha!  Not by me, so that was my misreading.  Sorry about that.

I am beginning to understand that the most active forums here are populated with people who have not the slightest experience in these things.
Certainly I am not somehow trying to judge or elevate myself to some position of superiority. It would never cross my mind.
But the world, Inworld, is much bigger than shopping or talking about viewer functions.
There is a lot of humanity to discover out there.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

But the world, Inworld, is much bigger than shopping or talking about viewer functions.
There is a lot of humanity to discover out there.

Getting back to the topic .... That's one of the things that makes it difficult for LL to design a new user experience.  People come to SL from a range of backgrounds, with prior assumptions about how things are done here.  There are niche communities in SL, like role play and gaming, that are important to the overall balance of experiences but represent only a small fraction of the total population.  Still, a new user experience has to somehow provide enough basic information and incentive to attract and retain those people as well as the larger number of people who spend their time shopping, decorating, and socializing.  It's a tough challenge. I'm not sure that there is a good solution.  Heaven knows, LL has tried many approaches over the years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

So, you just attack anyone who has lookats disabled because you think they might do something bad to you. You're way more paranoid than I have ever been.

I read that the same way you did (after several readings and attempts at comprehension.)  

My off topic:  Lookats aren't good for anything but drama mongering. I can't think of a single legitimate use of needing to see what someone else is looking at.  I don't expect to be attacked randomly while wandering around in SL because I am not out there attacking others.  I don't visit combat regions so I don't need to be paranoid that an attack will come out of left field.  I don't care to know if someone is looking at my skirt.  I would not comment in IM or publicly on what someone else is looking at trying to embarrass or shame them.  It's just for negative drama.  I don't need to see your lookats and you don't need to see mine.  Mind your own business and don't rely on me for your drama.  Sending your lookats to others should be off by default for new users, but is that even an option in the official viewer?  I haven't used it in so long I can't remember.

I do feel a bit sorry for anyone that feels the need to walk around with their finger on a retaliation button just in case they get attacked while exploring, but I get that there are plenty of people whose sole form of entertainment is finding new users and orbiting them, crashing their viewers, or worse.  That's a shame.  Perhaps the new user experience should include a short course on the tools available to protect yourself from trolls, but unfortunately that might scare more people than it helps.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Perhaps the new user experience should include a short course on the tools available to protect yourself from trolls, but unfortunately that might scare more people than it helps.

In fact, when I talked about the training path of a new avatar I also wanted to add that in the last steps of his training they should implement rooms where LL teaches how to defend against the cursed horrible trolls.
Right after that room maybe they could even give away a hud that teaches you to follow threads appropriately.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

In fact, when I talked about the training path of a new avatar I also wanted to add that in the last steps of his training they should implement rooms where LL teaches how to defend against the cursed horrible trolls.
Right after that room maybe they could even give away a hud that teaches you to follow threads appropriately.

The thread is about the new user experience.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

Why not create a tutorial area as it is present in many games?
The new account must follow a path that, divided into various sections as they are completed, receives the basic rudiments of the world.
Certainly the new account does not have to be forced to do so and can go out and come back whenever he wants.
I think it might be an interesting idea.

This has been done MANY times, both by LL and by resident helper organizations. Quite a few of the builds are still available.

Examples:

• Orientation Island/Help Island (LL). This was the second version of the New User Experience, and consisted of two regions. A publicly-accessible version is still available. Orientation Island had a linear progression of learning stations, while Help Island was more free-form with several help areas accessible from a central arrival point. (I can't remember what they called the original NUE version...it was the one with the city build, and the volcano, and the rats you ran over while riding a Segway. Exiting the island landed you at an Infohub. Anyone remember that one?)
  • Learning Island/Social Island (LL). This was the official NUE until recently. The Social Islands still exist, but the official LL Learning Islands have been removed. Social Island 10 is publicly available and is clogged with the usual crowd of nitwits, showoffs, and predators you used to find at Infohubs. A version of Learning Island still exists for users entering via the Firestorm and London City signup portals. Again, Learning Island was more linear in nature, while Social Island allowed one to wander at will from area to area.
  • Welcome Island (LL). This is the current official NUE, the one Coffee reported on at the start of this thread. It's basically linear, although you aren't forced to do things in any order. While residents cannot return to the original island once they leave, there is a duplicate which is publicly accessible, called Welcome Back Island. (The Guide Book refers to it as "Welcome Island Public" though, which should result in most residents never figuring out how to get there.)
  • Caledon Oxbridge University (resident). This is a very large, very detailed, and very linear tutorial, with a huge amount of information available. It walks the new user through several "colleges", each a building with a number of information posters. This build demonstrates the main shortcoming of the linear tutorial approach...a huge proportion of newcomers simply run through it, taking no time at all to read the information. These people (mostly gamers) treat such places as a race course to be completed as rapidly as possible.
  • New Resident Island (resident). In many ways similar to Oxbridge, NRI offers a more diverse and free-form learning experience. However, to get the most out of it, the user has to take it slowly and pay attention, clicking on things that may look quite different to the previous educational things they saw at the last learning location.
  • Ajuda SL Brasil (resident). The longest running help area for non-English speakers, this is a relatively free-form build, and has an enormous selection of freebies. It has, like Oxbridge and NRI, live helpers available.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 844 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.