solitude

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 907 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Again, loneliness is a negative by definition and I'd hardly consider it a wealth.  Aloneness is quite nice, though.  

On which treatise of Western philosophy is it written that solitude is always a negative experience?
Maybe you are referring to marketing.

Edited by Tama Suki

1 hour ago, Tama Suki said:

On which treatise of Western philosophy is it written that solitude is always a negative experience?
Maybe you are referring to marketing.

Nowhere did I say SOLITUDE was negative.  Loneliness is not the same as solitude.  Being alone is not the same as loneliness.  Words have different meanings. 

Solitude...the state or situation of being alone.

Loneliness...sadness because one has no friends or company.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

in my language there is no difference between these two terms. 🤷

Screenshot_2021-12-16-20-29-34-42.jpg

Huh, that's really interesting! Like Rowan said, in English they are two very different things.

Solitude (being alone) simply means there are no other people around you. Some people enjoy being alone, some people hate it, but the word itself is neutral as it describes the physical situation of not having other people around you.

"Lonely" / "loneliness" refers to the emotion of feeling alone, which is a negative thing because I don't think anyone actually enjoys feeling loneliness. It's more of like the mental and emotional distress of not feeling seen, heard, understood, or cared for.

We can enjoy solitude without feeling lonely, just like we can feel very alone even in a large group of people. They're two completely different concepts, but since the English words are so similar, people often think they are the same thing.

• Like 3

As a writer I know the benefit of solitude. Well, solitude? Imagination had proven a wonderful company. When I grew older I also really learned to like the company of myself. And that was not the case when I was younger. When you dislike someone you can avoid that person. But you can't walk away from yourself. I woke up and thought by myself: 'Are you still there? Get the hell out of here!' But that changed. I discovered the wealth of my imagination and learned little by little to like myself and accept the bad things. When you can't accept that, you also can't appreciate the good thing fully. They are connected like yin and yang. Black and white. So yes, I like my solitude here in SL. Then I brew a magic potion from which I can draw energy. And sometimes I have a very social outing for a series of interviews. I can really enjoy that because I can also be alone now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

Do you like solitude in Second Life?
Very often I consider it a precious resource.
You are suspended in mid-air flying and listening to the sound of the Inworld wind.
What a wonderful feeling!

You know the calm after the storm?
Something like that.

I like solitude in any life. I am the type who can feel lonely in a crowd. 

In Second Life I like nothing more than to feel the grass underneath my bare feet and smell the plywood all around me. 

The sky - the further up in the sky you go, the more you can feel miles away from the next person, and you can go up and up and up until you reach ... infinity?  (Does anyone know how high you can really go in the Second Life sky? It's not just 4096m, that's the build maximum height.)

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

Is empathy from your neighbor required to share the concept of solitude?

Because I have, like, a lot of active accounts and the friendlist open in the hud when I decide to be alone and if someone wants to share my moment of solitude, I welcome them gladly.
It always depends on how one interprets what one lives in SL.
But maybe you don't consider this a life.

"I have lots of people to do things with but nobody to do nothing with"

Esther Rantzen

• Like 1

Solitude isn’t about avoiding being with other people. It’s about being with yourself. In the words of Lao Tzu ‘Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realising he is one with the whole universe.’

https://www.psychreg.org/difference-between-solitude-and-loneliness/

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

Solitude is mainly a problem in Second Life, not something to be sought after. Most areas are devoid of people, and when you do find a populated area, often avatars are standing around AFK while their operators are doing something in another window.

What's rare and precious is to establish a fragile human connection in a vast and unfeeling metaverse.

Edited by Randall Ahren
Add the word populated

5 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

in my language there is no difference between these two terms

Perhaps because in the culture itself, people are far less likely to feel sorry for themselves during those moments when they find themselves alone. As was mentioned, loneliness implies a sadness over being alone, this implies a dissatisfaction over the situation one finds oneself in. Perhaps Italians are less inclined to do that, and rarther embrace whatever situation they find, and make the most of it.

Do you think that a millennial culture can be simplified in such a grotesquely ridiculous way by turning it into a cheap film from the sixties?

Maybe it's just that I'm not very educated and I don't understand what the hell you are talking about, or it's that your point of view has nothing to do with what I started.

Edited by Tama Suki
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Randall Ahren said:

Solitude is mainly a problem in Second Life, not something to be sought after. Most areas are devoid of people, and when you do find a populated area, often avatars are standing around AFK while their operators are doing something in another window.

What's rare and precious is to establish a fragile human connection in a vast and unfeeling metaverse.

I can agree with you up to a point. You feel that kind of loneliness in SL if you go wandering around randomly looking for someone to talk to having no idea what to do or what to look for.
We leave this topic to the noob journalists who come here and wander around randomly for a couple of hours teleporting from one point to another without really knowing how things work and have to write their article to which the editor has already given the title: "second life it's an empty and dead place".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Solitude isn’t about avoiding being with other people. It’s about being with yourself. In the words of Lao Tzu ‘Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realising he is one with the whole universe.’

https://www.psychreg.org/difference-between-solitude-and-loneliness/

I certainly do not want to say that I am a master, but this is very close to the point of my post.

@Ayeleeon Forgive me I don't mean to be rude.
But I see that some have perfectly understood what I'm talking about and why SL can also be considered a tool for creative reflection.
Many others, on the other hand, seem to jump in their chairs as if i've been teasing a taboo that should never be mentioned.
I understand that for some loneliness can be a state of suffering from which it is difficult to get out and I have great respect for their feelings, but I was absolutely not talking about a discomfort.

Edited by Tama Suki

10 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Forgive me I don't mean to be rude.

My comments were about the fact that in Italian there is no distinction between solitude and loneliness. i was not directly commenting one way of the other about your particular views on slitude or loneliness.

15 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

My comments were about the fact that in Italian there is no distinction between solitude and loneliness. i was not directly commenting one way of the other about your particular views on slitude or loneliness.

The fact is, I am confused and surprised to find that my post has been mostly misrepresented by many.
As for the concept of loneliness, the Italian language certainly has a very wide range of shades but unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to have a high level education and therefore it is my personal limitation if I cannot find the analogue in my language to express the difference between two similar concepts that have different shades of meaning. On the other hand, being aware of my ignorance, I would never describe a different culture with such drastic methods. It would be like identifying Americans with guns and hamburgers.
In short, I am more stupid than google translate and therefore I think you should not take what I write or post as if I were a university professor of Italian at the University of Oxford.

I do like the solitude I experience when I'm inworld, and the more chaotic my RL house is with my daughter and grandsons, the more I treasure being able to log into SL, even if I don't do anything other than sit in my house or in my yard and listen to the SL birds and other animal sounds, while enjoying looking at the overall scene.  I have a mainland parcel where I have my main house, and I try to decorate and landscape in a manner that is meaningful to me and that provides an overall environment that I find relaxing. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

You are suspended in mid-air flying and listening to the sound of the Inworld wind.
What a wonderful feeling!

You know the calm after the storm?
Something like that.

I love having solitude in SL. It's sometimes relaxing if I have to be up early or very late at the odd hours of night (considering I am in the EST). It's relaxing to go off by myself and explore at these weird hours.

• Like 1

Only time teaches solitude .

My sl while once an escape fell back into my rl mindset of solitude .

Journalists who come here expecting to find something will be disappointed , unless they spend at least 8 hours a day for a month engaging complete strangers in private conversation with valid and reasonable questions wherever they go .

I wonder what the scorecard would say after a month if it had 3 columns , no response , negative response , positive response .

I know where i'd place my bets .

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 907 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.