Inventory Organization Help

Rowan Amore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 10/29/2021 at 3:56 PM, Rowan Amore said:

After nearly 6 years of doing absolutely nothing with my inventory, I've spent the better part of the last 2 weeks clearing out nearly 80,000 items.  Don't judge me, please.

I know many of you have mentioned your detailed folder systems.  I've yet to figure out a way to sort all the items I have.  I can figure out furniture and landscape but clothing is another problem.

Do you sort by type?  Dresses, pants, sweaters, t-shirts or some other way?   By store, color, season?  

I'd like some ideas as to how to even begin.  

Thank you all in advance.

ETA:  I may not get to reading your replies until later this evening.  I'm going cross-eyed after several hours of clearing and it's a bit hard to focus on text.  😬

That's very impressive work! I have only been able to get the Lindens' software to do that for me by suddenly losing my inventory (15,000 items) but I suppose it's for the best.

I solve the problem you are describing by almost never buying clothes and changing them perhaps once every few months. Really helps to keep inventory tidy.

But I have 196,740 items, despite swearing (before the pandemic) that I would never go above 100,000. And this isn't even all single copy gatchas. It's a lot of houses, furniture, gadgets etc for rentals.

At one point, I couldn't even log on my inventory, and here, too, the Lindens forcibly organized my inventory by putting everything into either years or an alphabet. This was "tough love" for sure, because why would I ever sort anything into years? Especially the year 1969. But it's all good.

I had an enormous number of folders with 1000 items in each one that I couldn't sort and which kept coming into the view. So I took all of them and put them in "Body Parts" so I didn't have to see them. (You can still see them but they are not in your face). When I have some down time, I will go and sort "2017" or "A-F".

So yes I have very detailed folders. I work away at trying to clear these but I realize it will not be done in my lifetime. 

So one way to clear inventory is to make the two inventory windows and delete anything called "Object". Chances are it is just a piece of plywood or a stray part of a window. It might be something important but you didn't bother to look for it up to now, it's been 10 years, so let it go. You can use the same technique searching for "sale" or "hunt" because again, if you didn't take out that hunt prize from 3 years ago all this time, you never will so out it goes.

The single most annoying thing that prevents clean inventory is not my failure to sort things immediately after I shop or get a gift, but the propensity for way too many merchants to put things in folders which you then receive as one of the endless separate folders in inventory, aside from system folders.

This annoyance has escalated since this business of "add me and click" HUDs that deliver items into inventory, or "automatically unpacking boxes". So I usually ignore all those messages and bat them away, go into the contents of even a HUD and sort it into inventory manually. This custom really defeats the purpose of cleaning inventory but no one is likely to stop creating these unpacking systems, so fearful of they of having a customer get a box on their head. Yes, you can try sorting the same folders immediately after shopping but it's harder. 

There are exceptions, of course, like an outfit or an Andika drink set where you know the folders will have all these things in them which you need to keep together.

I used to just have "Decor" or "Table" but now these are even further separated into "antique," "art nouveau," "shabby" etc. 

After my inventory loss, I started making warehouses inworld with labeled boxes, you can buy them from "what's next" or other merchants and make your own labels. I then never look in those boxes again but at least I know that Christmas decor from the pre-mesh era is there in the attic should I ever have the prims available. People fear doing this thinking the box will get lost in a region re-set but this has never happened to me in a decade. It's more likely to get lost out of my inventory than out of an in-world box. 

I find if my trash is 1000 (and I constantly police trash because that was part of the mechanism of the loss of the 15,000 - some kind of glitch that put entire folders into trash) it's because of all the way-stations on the way to making something (at least for me) -- uploaded maps that didn't work, parts of stuff, models I was going to use and didn't, all the little pieces in some "box o' sculpties" - so I try to get all that deleted or at least into a separate file.

In the old days, I would put separate content into separate avatars that went with a theme community like "Free Tibet," then give that alt my perms or visa versa so the other one could move it around or change it. This began to have its annoyances with things not on transfer and finally I gave it up. But I should start it again because those other accounts log on like a breeze with less than 5000 items in their inventory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE. After a couple weeks of cleaning (haven't yet started the sorting), I took some time off.  Mind numbing doesn't even come close to describing it.  I've gone from nearly 180K items to just over 70K!   I've found a few things (ok, a lot of things) I'd totally forgotten I had and loved.  It's like getting something new without spending any money.  

The received items folder is still a daunting task.  I'll start in on that when I resume.

• Like 7

1668b63d30bf75242fefe21eefd79332.png

Finally tackled Mina's runaway inventory ..

.. Now to just go back through everything to sort out things I can't use anymore (she never had a lot of makeup since I knew I'd go for Evo X eventually .. Now that I did, the few old Evo things has no further use, including brows and other such things), some Petite stuff I kept thinking I might want to get the Petite addon some day .. But now I've decided that ain't happening.

I also want to just get rid of some stuff which I don't use (especially stuff that I don't use because I don't really find the quality to be up to snuff).

And then I'm thinking it's time to get the CTS wardrobe thing and start cataloguing her inventory, with pictures, so I can ditch the adverts from her inventory (just because!). 

Then it's back to raiding every event and sale for anything vaguely pretty to add to her draconic hoard ( .. Oh right, that reminds me she's got a 'dragon priestess' outfit somewhere that I'd forgotten about!). 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

1668b63d30bf75242fefe21eefd79332.png

Finally tackled Mina's runaway inventory ..

.. Now to just go back through everything to sort out things I can't use anymore (she never had a lot of makeup since I knew I'd go for Evo X eventually .. Now that I did, the few old Evo things has no further use, including brows and other such things), some Petite stuff I kept thinking I might want to get the Petite addon some day .. But now I've decided that ain't happening.

I also want to just get rid of some stuff which I don't use (especially stuff that I don't use because I don't really find the quality to be up to snuff).

And then I'm thinking it's time to get the CTS wardrobe thing and start cataloguing her inventory, with pictures, so I can ditch the adverts from her inventory (just because!). 

Then it's back to raiding every event and sale for anything vaguely pretty to add to her draconic hoard ( .. Oh right, that reminds me she's got a 'dragon priestess' outfit somewhere that I'd forgotten about!). 

If any of your makeup for Evo is appliers, they still work on EvoX.  Lipstick and eyeshadow.  Not any BOM, of course.

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If any of your makeup for Evo is appliers, they still work on EvoX.  Lipstick and eyeshadow.  Not any BOM, of course.

I have one or two that are HD appliers, but I generally avoid them like the plague.

Most hairs I use are alpha hairs, and many of them have strands going over the face, and I hate it when the hairs' alphas cut into the HD layers. It's why we got BOM, so it should be BOM.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I have one or two that are HD appliers, but I generally avoid them like the plague.

Most hairs I use are alpha hairs, and many of them have strands going over the face, and I hate it when the hairs' alphas cut into the HD layers. It's why we got BOM, so it should be BOM.

I normally wear bases and bun/updo attachments so it's rarely an issue for me.but I  use BOM if I do wear hair like that or with bangs.  Lipstick is almost exclusively appliers for me.  

I only recently started getting more organized as I was fed up not being able to remember and find things I'd bought. So I set up a bunch of folders, similar to what other's have posted here and got a fair bit sorted, but what's really helpful about just getting some folders set is that now if I buy anything I can put it straight in there.

So at the very least, I'd say to anyone, even if you're not getting round to clearing your existing inventory up yet, at least set up some folder categories so that going forward you can start to organise stuff as you buy or make it.

I've still got loads to sort...but I'll get there eventually....

• 1 year later...
On 10/29/2021 at 11:45 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

My Outfits folder is my go-to for putting on a look these days, because assembling a new Outfit takes so much longer than it used to. Once I have clothing I like, and have accessorized it and added hair and makeup, I'll save the whole thing as an Outfit.

My Outfits folder is organized like this:

1. General type: Casual dresses, dressy dresses, cocktail dresses, formal wear, swimwear, casual pants outfits, dressy pants outfits, business outfits. One for costumes, too.
  2. Within each general type, outfits are divided by season: Spring, summer, fall, winter
  3. Each outfit's name includes:
    1. General description: Long sleeved, ruffled, knit, wrap dress, etc. etc.
    2. Color
    3. Name and/or maker's name
    4. Info about body or head

So I am needing clarification on the outfits folder are you talking about the System Outfits Folder or are you talking about one you made, guess I am just trying to see if that can also be organized too in the Outfits

2 hours ago, Riya Cloud said:

So I am needing clarification on the outfits folder are you talking about the System Outfits Folder or are you talking about one you made, guess I am just trying to see if that can also be organized too in the Outfits

You can create additional folders to help with organizing outfits with Cool and Black Dragon viewers. The SL and FS viewers no longer have that ability.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Arielle is right, my post is outdated. Unfortunately, you can't make sub-folders in the Outfits folder any more. But if you have any already existing, you can keep them.

And, if you already have a regular folder within your Outfits folder, you can make as many subfolders as you want.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 11:02 AM, Arielle Popstar said:

You can create additional folders to help with organizing outfits with Cool and Black Dragon viewers. The SL and FS viewers no longer have that ability.

If you make them in the other viewers, will they be accessible in Firestorm?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.