Im learning

MidnightCurve

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, MidnightCurve said:

Heyyyyyyy everyone so I had something on my mind when it comes to avatars. Why isn’t the new mesh bodies and heads also come for free as well . Or is that only an option for old avatars only? 

just a random thought 

Older avatars, like myself, have to pay for everything, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, MidnightCurve said:

Ah no wonder why I kept getting asked to update my avatar,  I thought what I have picked out was up to date I guess not 🤷🏾‍♀️

You could look through this thread for some free or nearly free options.  Also search YouTube for videos on creating a mesh avatar in Second Life.

• Like 3

There are some free and low cost options available, though they are mainly for women. Genus has a free head that appears to be a permanent offer, and there are free bodies available at Ebody (and also Lucybody's midnight mania, if you're willing to wait a few days for it to deliver).

7 hours ago, MidnightCurve said:

Ah no wonder why I kept getting asked to update my avatar,  I thought what I have picked out was up to date I guess not 🤷🏾‍♀️

That's just other people being snobbish. You're free to give them the total lack of attention that they deserve.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MidnightCurve said:

Why isn’t the new mesh bodies and heads also come for free as well .

In Second Life, content is created by individuals, and the incentive to create is the same as in RL, so they can sell it. Some old things are free because the creator has made enough money selling it when it was new that they just let people have it for free. The people who have worked hard to create new mesh heads and bodies however, are still wanting to get a return on thier investment in time and effort.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ayeleeon is right. SL is a free market economic system. SL and all the things in it are things people create.

Linden Lab has to have income to pay the salaries of staff. The Lab is, at heart, a software house. Several of the avatars they provide to users for free, if not all, were purchased from individual users and modelers. Those avatars are available to anyone but specifically to new users to reduce the learning curve and provide an easy way to change avatars and provide examples of what is possible. Said another way, those free avatars are part of the promotional efforts of the Lab.

Mesh bodies and heads are made by 3D-modelers with some measure of talent and skill. Then they have to be animated. So... lots of work and skill is required to make these things. To get the supply and variety of these we have available in SL there has to be a reason/incentive for people to spend time making them.

How much time do you spend making things in SL to give away for free?

• Like 3

On 9/22/2021 at 10:20 PM, MidnightCurve said:

Okay, so for starters, it will be a good help to us if you're wanting a male or female avatar, so we know which direction to point you in and help... Secondly, if you are working on a budget. And Thirdly, IF you actually care what others are saying to you. 

16 hours ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

It's your SL. Yours. 

This is such a good thing to take to heart... That SL is what you want it to be. If you don't care what the other people are saying about your "need to update" feel free to ignore them. (and this is coming from a self professed Mesh Snob myself-but that is more for the guys that IM looking for more than just a chat) 

There's plenty of help if you want it, and plenty of things you can do if you don't. We just need to know the best way to help. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 5:20 AM, MidnightCurve said:

if you like what you wear, and how you look, you háve to do nothing what others say.

Sometimes when creators roll out updates it's without costs and safe to do, that's mostly for a reason.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if you like what you wear, and how you look, you háve to do nothing what others say.

Sometimes when creators roll out updates it's without costs and safe to do, that's mostly for a reason.

It is common to reject avatars that are outdated, in adult locations. So no update to mesh, no free hubbahubba.

It is first impression that counts, just like in real life. Some will not be friends either. It can be because they are burnt before, those who do not care enough about SL to spend a little on it, are not going to stay. It will be short time friendship, or they will ask for slex as soon as you started talking.

A female can get so much for free or cheap, while men must spend more money. Of course it can be possible to pick up time limited freebies for both genders. One will have to be in SL and the forums almost daily or at least weekly to be informed about those gifts. Like the 5000 mesh head for free. That was 1 week. Both Lelutka and LOGO had head as gifts, both male and female. But they are not up for long.

Only females has had the free Genus head for one or two years now. A permanent freebie. (When I type this, it will surely be taken away. Jinx) 😟

Edited by Marianne Little

On 9/23/2021 at 5:07 AM, MidnightCurve said:

Heyyyyyyy everyone so I had something on my mind when it comes to avatars. Why isn’t the new mesh bodies and heads also come for free as well . Or is that only an option for old avatars only? 

just a random thought 

Why should an creator just gift this stuff away in general? It's not made by LL, some People actually do this to sell it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.