Sailing from Belissaria via Mainland to Blake Sea

Superharry Kingmaker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nice! I have been a premium member for a year now and recently have got a Linden stilt-house on Bellisaria. So far so good. They are great, these new regions: you can sail everywhere by boat and even by wheeled vehicle you can get very far. So I thought, I'm going to do some exploring today and sail towards the "old mainland" and try to get all the way north up to my old resort on Fairchang and after that to the Blake Sea. I passed Belissaria completely unscathed (without crashes) and after a long time travel I looked straight into the south of the "old mainland".... There I could maneuver with a bit of difficulty between the first parcels with my micro-boat (water scooter), but it soon became apparent that I could not sail anywhere via the western or eastern corridor than back. Total chaos everywhere I looked, and everything blocked by residents who had bought or rented a spot with a house on it and also installed off-sim junk. To make matters worse, on my way back at one of the parcels I had already passed, I encountered a wrongly programmed security system and I was teleported straight home instantly without a boat (timer was programmed at 10 seconds: not enough time for me to aware that I was threspassing and turn the waterscooter 180 degrees to get out). My 50 minutes fun-travel ended in a few seconds mainland, thank you for that...   

My question: I thought that in the past a waterway around the mainland was always kept free to serve travelers by boat... Apparently not so anymore, luckily I can fly in this world... provided I don't come across a cheap security system...

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Superharry Kingmaker said:

My question: I thought that in the past a waterway around the mainland was always kept free to serve travelers by boat... Apparently not so anymore, luckily I can fly in this world... provided I don't come across a cheap security system...

I am not sure if they learnt that lesson as such... but the last full continent they made before Bellisseria is going back in time to Gaeta V which does have protected waterway all around it. Gaeta I is incomplete along with the other Gaetas that were part of same planning process never got past the drawing board but from what we know I think they were planned to be circumnavigated. The other continents have protected waterways around only parts of their edges but none create a complete circuit.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Superharry Kingmaker said:

Agreed that anything that actually blocks Linden waterway should be reported, and you should make a point of following up to see if it's been resolved. If not, enlist some friends to add ARs. (Governance claims that one AR is as good as many. It's simply not true. No fault of Governance, but Mainland generally needs residents to do more of the work to get things done.)

The bad part is that there's nothing to be done about the cheap security systems. They cannot eject nor teleport home anybody who isn't actually on the owner's parcel at that instant (so if one gets caught by them, they're functioning "properly") and there's no formal rules about how long the warning interval must be except on Bellisseria.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Agreed that anything that actually blocks Linden waterway should be reported, and you should make a point of following up to see if it's been resolved. If not, enlist some friends to add ARs.

Yes. I've ARd attempts to turn a public waterway into a private beach by adding off-parcel rocks.

Trying to boat through the narrow waterways of Sansara is really tough. If you have private water that adjoins Linden water, and insist on using ban lines or security orbs, please put out can buoys with the standard keep-out symbol.

keepoutbuoy.png.df1b5985db2cad735008b21ab70355ed.png

Standard keep-out buoy, real-world version. This one is upstream of the water intakes at Hoover Dam, so it's there for a good reason.

SL versions are available on Marketplace, and I've seen them being used properly in world to mark keep-out areas.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, animats said:

Yes. I've ARd attempts to turn a public waterway into a private beach by adding off-parcel rocks.

Trying to boat through the narrow waterways of Sansara is really tough. If you have private water that adjoins Linden water, and insist on using ban lines or security orbs, please put out can buoys with the standard keep-out symbol.

keepoutbuoy.png.df1b5985db2cad735008b21ab70355ed.png

Standard keep-out buoy, real-world version. This one is upstream of the water intakes at Hoover Dam, so it's there for a good reason.

SL versions are available on Marketplace, and I've seen them being used properly in world to mark keep-out areas.

I’ve got a free Operation Mainland one I’m happy to give out, too! It doesn’t have ‘Keep Out’ but it’s a great way to mark property lines and stuff. 

Markers really help - No one wants to be kicked home when they are just trying to go for a ride. :( 

• Like 1

On the few occasions I've owned beachfront and other parcels that overlapped navigable water it has always been a point of pride, as an old RL sailor, that I bouyed navigable channels and marked hazards to IALA standards, including installing leading lights on a couple of occasions. They were scripted to have unique and compliant light patterns too!

• Like 2

On 9/13/2021 at 6:28 PM, Superharry Kingmaker said:

Nice! I have been a premium member for a year now and recently have got a Linden stilt-house on Bellisaria. So far so good. They are great, these new regions: you can sail everywhere by boat and even by wheeled vehicle you can get very far. So I thought, I'm going to do some exploring today and sail towards the "old mainland" and try to get all the way north up to my old resort on Fairchang and after that to the Blake Sea. I passed Belissaria completely unscathed (without crashes) and after a long time travel I looked straight into the south of the "old mainland".... There I could maneuver with a bit of difficulty between the first parcels with my micro-boat (water scooter), but it soon became apparent that I could not sail anywhere via the western or eastern corridor than back. Total chaos everywhere I looked, and everything blocked by residents who had bought or rented a spot with a house on it and also installed off-sim junk. To make matters worse, on my way back at one of the parcels I had already passed, I encountered a wrongly programmed security system and I was teleported straight home instantly without a boat (timer was programmed at 10 seconds: not enough time for me to aware that I was threspassing and turn the waterscooter 180 degrees to get out). My 50 minutes fun-travel ended in a few seconds mainland, thank you for that...   

I don't think there ever was a sailable waterway around the whole of any of the continents.  There are stretches of it in places but none around the connection between Bellisseria and Satori, and also none where Bellisseria connects with Sansara either. 

I think the furthest you can sail from to get to Blake Sea is the south coast of Corsica; I've done it from the Campbell Coast area. 

• Like 2

You can sail right round the southern edge of Corsica heading east until you finally reach open water at Genrin - from there you can circumnavigate Gaeta V quite easily - there's only about 4 narrow spots on the eastern side of the continent.

Regarding sailing north from Bellisseria, I still think once the Chalet theme is fully finished (and the last few themes released), there will be some open water regions heading north up the west coast of Satori until they reach all the protected waterways around Kingpost. This is the simplest method to make a continuous waterway and will require the least number of extra regions ;)

• Like 3

1. This issue is front and center for many in the sailing (and flying) communities. I personally raised it with Patch and Grumpity at the Meet the Lindens sessions at SL18B in June 2021 and hit a dead end.

2. Although there may be cases of protected water blockages (and those get ARed), the bulk of the problem is that many of the would-be connector regions have no protected/connected water. For example, check out Greel.

3. A seemingly obvious solution would be to create Bellisseria houseboat regions starting north of Carmine Sky and extending to Stromberg. I think about 18 regions would do it.

4. It is possible to fly south thru southern Satori and reach Bellisseria, however you have to plan your route to avoid banlines and orbs. Several people have offered nav helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If I remember right there is a resident owned railway you can use from Yeeowler to head North into Satori. If you get off at one of the stations before the end it is an easy walk through a sort of extended parking lot from the station to a road.  The road at the North of Satori is linked to several marinas and airports where you can resume your journey. Not as good as connected waterways but it is something

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

If I remember right there is a resident owned railway you can use from Yeeowler to head North into Satori.

The owner of that has reportedly been ill, and that project is unfinished.

You can get from the south end of that railway to an unmarked water rez zone, if you can find it,, and then, with difficulty, get out to open water. squeezing between obstacles and ban lines. It's also possible to make the trip in an amphibious vehicle with good off-road capability. But it's not easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, animats said:

The owner of that has reportedly been ill, and that project is unfinished.

You can get from the south end of that railway to an unmarked water rez zone, if you can find it,, and then, with difficulty, get out to open water. squeezing between obstacles and ban lines. It's also possible to make the trip in an amphibious vehicle with good off-road capability. But it's not easy.

Since I got a parcel on the south edge of Yeeowler I have marked a route out through my parcel and put up a little wall to protect traffic from the banlined parcel in the corner with the zombies. So the route by water from the terminus rezz zone whilst going over private water parcels is clear now.

The route across from railway heading north is at Gingivere, right after the tunnel. What I described as a sort of parking lot from memory isn't really very well described, it is clearly a pathway though with the same theme continuing its length to the rezz zone on the road.  Here is a photo to show what I mean:

Snapshot_231.thumb.jpg.d47e6696666ccf9031b61917f11ebcd5.jpg

I am sorry to hear the person behind the project is unwell, the notecard says they have been moving but that was some time ago. I hope they make a speedy recovery, their initiative and vision have made a nice option for travellers heading North and South across the continents. 

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

If they can get over the wall, zombies are welcome at the Baby Pelican.

It is a great to see the Pelican build still featured in world, the building has been a welcome destination and party spot for a long time with lots of happy memories wherever it has been located the Bingo Strait, Blake Shore and now South end of Satori.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.