Deploy Plan for the Week of 2021-07-19

Mazidox Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server

There are no updates to Second Life Server this week.

Second Life RC Updates

This week we'll be restarting all RC regions to refresh the underlying cloud hosts which are running our simulators. Because of limitations in how we deploy our simulator code, this will show as an update to version 2021-07-16.561609. There are no changes in this version, however we will be making some additional changes to approximately 1/3 of the machines running RC servers which we believe may improve performance in some situations.

On Region Restarts

As mentioned in some of our recent deploy plans we've been investigating the effectiveness of region restarts at the ten day limit. We believe some of the issues Residents are encountering with regions that have long uptimes are due to issues at the machine level, not the simulator level. Our instance refresh for Second Life RC channels this week is an attempt to gather data as to whether this is correct or not.

• Thanks 5

Most MC regions were last restarted on July 6th. Some will have had manual restarts since, but a working automatic system would have a lot of restarts today.

Since we don't even have the routine vague warning, it seems a valid inference that the automatic restart system is broken. "'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!!"

Well what a surprise, my region (Woods of Heaven, homestead on Main Server) has not been restarted so far today.  I am aware that on the West Coast USA is still late afternoon, but when my region is restarted by LL it has always been between 4 and 7 am PST.  At the last check the region had been running for 14 days since the last LL initiated rolling Restart on Main Server so I had assumed it would be  likely to be restarted.  Seems I was wrong.

Edited by Aishagain

27 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

Well what a surprise, my region (Woods of Heaven, homestead on Main Server) has not been restarted so far today.  I am aware that on the West Coast USA is still late afternoon, but when my region is restarted by LL it has always been between 4 and 7 am PST.  At the last check the region had been running for 14 days since the last LL initiated rolling Restart on Main Server so I had assumed it would be  likely to be restarted.  Seems I was wrong.

You posted this at 10:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time.  I never can keep timezones in my head either to I cheat and look at Time Zone Map (timeanddate.com)

On 7/21/2021 at 2:10 PM, Aishagain said:

And I can also confirm that LL never did restart Woods.

Your region, as stated above, is main channel, right? The RC channels are, specifically, "not main channel." So, no, the RC roll wouldn't affect your main channel region.

@Marianne McCann: Yes I was referring to Maxidox' statement that Main Server regions with more than 10 days' updatime were due to be restarted.

On 7/19/2021 at 6:29 PM, Mazidox Linden said:

On Region Restarts

As mentioned in some of our recent deploy plans we've been investigating the effectiveness of region restarts at the ten day limit.

This was, I has assumed a statement that the ten-day restart were to be continued.  Maybe I was mistaken.  As it happens I have not seen any performance degradation from the first day after restart yet so it is not a critical issue.

10 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

@Marianne McCann: Yes I was referring to Maxidox' statement that Main Server regions with more than 10 days' updatime were due to be restarted.

This was, I has assumed a statement that the ten-day restart were to be continued.  Maybe I was mistaken.  As it happens I have not seen any performance degradation from the first day after restart yet so it is not a critical issue.

That is a statement that they are examining how much of an effect it really has, not that they would continue nor that such were planed for the rolls last week, necessarily.

Edited by Solar Legion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.