How do you find someone in-world from forums?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently someone who saw me here in forums found me in-world and send me IM's and she told me she had found me through the forums here. I'm not sure how she did that, it's not something I've tried to do. I'm not sure others would want me to either, I'm just wondering how she went about that.

Just now, AnnHerrick said:

Recently someone who saw me here in forums found me in-world and send me IM's and she told me she had found me through the forums here. I'm not sure how she did that, it's not something I've tried to do. I'm not sure others would want me to either, I'm just wondering how she went about that.

Found you in-world to send an IM to? or found you in-world as in appeared at your doorstep?         

All you need is the avatar name (which is the same as the name displayed here in the forum on posts) to search people in-world, bring up the profile and choose to send an IM to that person.   Sometimes I think, if by reading posts here, someone thinks that you would be an interesting person to be friends with, they may look you up in-world to send you an IM and see if a friendship develops or not...   I would hazard a guess that there are a number of friendships started that way from the forums.

If it's someone sending you an IM that is not friendly, then I'd think about blocking them. 

Finding your location in-world and showing up there is more difficult (if not nearly impossible) but if you have picks in your profile of places you like to go to, or a pick for your home parcel, or you mention in the forums places you frequent, it's not improbable for someone to find you at one of those locations if they are persistent.

1 minute ago, MoiraKathleen said:

Found you in-world to send an IM to? or found you in-world as in appeared at your doorstep?         

All you need is the avatar name (which is the same as the name displayed here in the forum on posts) to search people in-world, bring up the profile and choose to send an IM to that person.   Sometimes I think, if by reading posts here, someone thinks that you would be an interesting person to be friends with, they may look you up in-world to send you an IM and see if a friendship develops or not...   I would hazard a guess that there are a number of friendships started that way from the forums.

If it's someone sending you an IM that is not friendly, then I'd think about blocking them. 

Finding your location in-world and showing up there is more difficult (if not nearly impossible) but if you have picks in your profile of places you like to go to, or a pick for your home parcel, or you mention in the forums places you frequent, it's not improbable for someone to find you at one of those locations if they are persistent.

Oh this was just an IM, and of a friendly nature. I would hope people could not just show up on my doorstep! I see that you can offer TP's and IM, and that's quite enough. I don't have anything in my picks, so there's nothing to go on there. In my last SL incarnation I had a stalker after me, using multiple alts and really devious means. I don't use that account anymore, and I really don't want that happening again.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MoiraKathleen said:

Finding your location in-world and showing up there is more difficult (if not nearly impossible)

doesn't have to be.. while playing GOH i had several "close encounters"( of the 4th kind? :)  ) .. but i'm more a person "what happens on the forums stays on the forums" .. there are only a few i met inworld.  ( or they run as soon i'm on the radar :)  ... it also helps i'm not that often inworld anymore on this account)

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 2:08 AM, Doris Johnsky said:

Frigging Drakeo IMed me.  I was NOT happy.

On 7/17/2021 at 2:34 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

doesn't have to be.. while playing GOH i had several "close encounters"( of the 4th kind? :)  ) .. but i'm more a person "what happens on the forums stays on the forums" .. there are only a few i met inworld.  ( or they run as soon i'm on the radar :)  ... it also helps i'm not that often inworld anymore on this account)

I'm very much a subscriber of "what happens on the forums stays on the forums", but years ago I had people IM me in world to give me big speeches about how offensive or rude or ignorant my posts were and about how they're blocking/banning/reporting me.

I'm fairly certain I'm still banned from one land baron's regions without their customer's knowledge because of forum posts. The others, I have no idea, since I never had reason to go to their personal parcels. And I know the maker of a popular security system has me banned (along with a lot of other people) thanks to forum posts. Or previous group affiliation. Or both.

All in all, best thing to do is laugh it off at how worked up people get over the tiniest of things. Or enjoy the new friend if it's a positive encounter.

• Like 1

I once had someone who often showed up on the same sim I was on, he finally told me his secret. I would post a picture to the dashboard which listed the location, he would see it and TP to it. Quite often when we think someone has some evil method, it is in fact something simple we are doing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.