What's the Bento head about?

MartinaVaslovik

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1064 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I"m shopping for a new head, just bought a Mailtreya Lara body and I'm going mesh finally, after 8 years, so I need a head and I'm looking around the Catwa store and see Bento heads, that say you must use a Bento viewer. I use Firestorm and I like it, so will that work with a Bento head? I don't know what Bento even means, I've been away form SL so long. This is a big investment so I want to get it right, and I don't want to have to switch viewers for the head. Advice welcome.

Heads and bodies now use the Universal neck as explained here by @Skell Dagger

Although he's discussing male heads and bodies, the same is true for females which does include the Maitreya body.

The Lelutka Evolution heads (of which Connor is one) feature a new neck fit that's been dubbed the 'Universal Neck'. Several major head and body creators agreed to move to a new standard neck fitting so that - going forward - neck seams like the one you're seeing with Connor/Jake would no longer happen. Legacy is one of the bodies that has the new neck, which is why the fit you're seeing with Connor/Legacy is seamless. Signature has also updated (their folders include two bodies with different neck options: one for the new Universal Neck, and one for the SL neck that fits older heads). But Belleza - being as slow to update as it is - is not a perfect fit for the Universal Neck. (In fact, it still has fitting issues with some other head brands, although it's a good fit with the older Lelutka Origins heads.) And in all honesty I wouldn't hold your breath for an update to Jake any time soon.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Go to genus and find the Genus Strong head.    It is free and using that you can determine what you like or dislike. And, with the right skin, it looks good

It is the best free head. It has not been updated to the universal neck, but it is a good head to start with. And in the weekend sales, it is cheap skins for Genus very often, if not every week.

As you are returning to SL, @MartinaVaslovikthe weekend sales is now a big thing, starting with Fifty Linden Friday, Saturday Sale, Wanderlust Weekend and the Happy Weekend sale. Find them in https://www.seraphimsl.com/

You can find all sort of things from trees, houses, speedboats, clothes and all avatar parts, hair, skin, nails, eyes, lashes, etc etc.

You need to scroll down a bit, it is Featured, Mainstores, Outlet and more first.

Edited by Marianne Little
added the last sentence
  • Like 4

Firestorm is bento enabled. Almost all viewers are at this point. Bento is a head that works with your shape sliders, much like your default head. That allows you to tweak your head, which can give you more of a look you like and is unique. Someone already mentioned Genus Project. They have a free bento head that is quite lovely, and you might want to pick it up and play with it to get the hang of them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mercedes Avon said:

Firestorm is bento enabled. Almost all viewers are at this point. Bento is a head that works with your shape sliders, much like your default head. That allows you to tweak your head, which can give you more of a look you like and is unique. Someone already mentioned Genus Project. They have a free bento head that is quite lovely, and you might want to pick it up and play with it to get the hang of them.

Thank you Mercedes, that is very helpful. I shall look into it.

• Like 1

@MartinaVaslovik Bento was added to meet user requests for a better avatar. Bento adds bones that can be animated. Now fingers, face, wings, hind legs, and ears can be animated.

The techy details are here.

Prior to Bento there was a set of facial expressions that were built into the viewer. That was all you got. Now that faces can be animated the number of expressions is unlimited.

If you want to experiment with the new Bento skeleton get the Black Dragon viewer and try the built-in POSER.

Bento means two things; it will respond to the head shape sliders, and it can use realistic face animations (not the horrible ones the Classic avatars use).

Firestorm will work with Bento; the non-bento versions of the viewer are long gone.

As far as heads go, I have three Catwa heads including one HDPRO head which I love (I did not love the earlier Bento heads), and one Lelutka which I also love but isn't really the right face shape for me. I think the Lelutka hud is easier to use, Lelutka animations are better (more subtle, and more of them), Catwa HDPRO has more features. If you go for Lelutka, be aware that they have a new range called EVO-X.  The EVO-X can use ONLY skins and makeup made specifically for that head. So if you already have skins and makeup that you like and want to keep, avoid it and stick with the regular heads. All Catwa heads can use regular skins (but Catwa-specific skins will look better).

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

Bento means two things; it will respond to the head shape sliders, and it can use realistic face animations (not the horrible ones the Classic avatars use).

Firestorm will work with Bento; the non-bento versions of the viewer are long gone.

As far as heads go, I have three Catwa heads including one HDPRO head which I love (I did not love the earlier Bento heads), and one Lelutka which I also love but isn't really the right face shape for me. I think the Lelutka hud is easier to use, Lelutka animations are better (more subtle, and more of them), Catwa HDPRO has more features. If you go for Lelutka, be aware that they have a new range called EVO-X.  The EVO-X can use ONLY skins and makeup made specifically for that head. So if you already have skins and makeup that you like and want to keep, avoid it and stick with the regular heads. All Catwa heads can use regular skins (but Catwa-specific skins will look better).

The EvoX heads all have the option of Classic mode which you can still use your older Evo skins on.  They're updating those older heads to include the EvoX mode also.  One head, 2 options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My onnnnly complaint on catwa is the price (I own a Majer soft).... I wish that the heads were more in line with lelutka's prices, as I find them to nearly the same quality (love the features on the HD pro, but to me the EvoX is slightly better in the looks department). I have both, so I fiddle and change as needed. 

For the OP, I would suggest an EvoX enabled head simply because it's not as expensive, a few more base options to choose from, and it seems that the EvoX has more creator support, at least at the moment. 

Hope that helps? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1064 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.