How Does Your SL Look Today?

I'm still exploring SL20B, finding various exhibits I have missed as I have roamed the many regions.  

I found a cute exhibit called "Strange TRAVEL" which had a guided tour.  It is a small adventure you can partake in, I don't want to spoil it for others, but I thought it was pretty cute.

Snapshot_288.thumb.png.541c8b4c4947ae49a72cb7cd9360b475.png

Snapshot_299.thumb.png.017e345fd9efa85f2e1c83f2dbec69f7.png

I don't want to spoil the plot for those of you interested in visiting here, but I adored the entire style it was created in.  The characters reminded me of 8-bit sprites.  The exhibit is created so that you can take a guided tour, or walk through it on your own, as you go through it, the story unfolds, the first time through I went on the guided mode, the second time I decided to walk on my own to take it a bit more slowly, while appreciating the various scenes put together to tie the story together, and then clicking on the various characters with chat bubbles above their heads to explain the story as I progressed at my own pace.

Now I am off to explore other areas I may have missed.  Surprisingly, there does not seem to be many events being held tonight, I would have thought there may have been some due to the US having a pretty big holiday, but the spots they are normally held at are pretty empty.  I might hit up Lindo later on looking for some clubbing events to listen to a bit of music to.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I've been here earlier, but stumbled upon it again just now.  Our very own @Prokofy Neva exhibit, there is so much information packed into this parcel, I plan to visit it again later on because I love reading about SL history, and getting a better understanding of SL.

Snapshot_310.thumb.png.e50a9d95cfa8773bd8be7359b05745f5.png

I also found a chatbot, that was the most advanced I had seen so far in SL20, I only asked a few questions but was impressed with the answers. 

Snapshot_307(2).png.12891175f8a02ba792418ba6c198217a.png

Snapshot_305(2).png.b02a29f023f3f12f8bb692c4d7ad82c6.png

Snapshot_306(2).png.4221edd5f8f5cff71f59d327ea4f12cf.png

Snapshot_312.thumb.png.4ce407ede4069b36781eb4c070350350.png

Worth a visit, then a revisit, I will probably hit up this exhibit a few times to read the many notecards, learn more about SL, talk with the chatbot and appreciate the hard work put into it.  

It can be found here:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SLB Stupendous/29/231/23

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I've been here earlier, but stumbled upon it again just now.  Our very own @Prokofy Neva exhibit, there is so much information packed into this parcel, I plan to visit it again later on because I love reading about SL history, and getting a better understanding of SL.

Snapshot_310.thumb.png.e50a9d95cfa8773bd8be7359b05745f5.png

I also found a chatbot, that was the most advanced I had seen so far in SL20, I only asked a few questions but was impressed with the answers. 

Snapshot_307(2).png.12891175f8a02ba792418ba6c198217a.png

Snapshot_305(2).png.b02a29f023f3f12f8bb692c4d7ad82c6.png

Snapshot_306(2).png.4221edd5f8f5cff71f59d327ea4f12cf.png

Snapshot_312.thumb.png.4ce407ede4069b36781eb4c070350350.png

Worth a visit, then a revisit, I will probably hit up this exhibit a few times to read the many notecards, learn more about SL, talk with the chatbot and appreciate the hard work put into it.  

It can be found here:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SLB Stupendous/29/231/23

Contiguous users? Isn't this asking how many were standing side-by-side?

NWN puts the 88k concurrent users in 2009. (Ref) And reports the Lab's announcement of 750k active users.

I started tracking concurrent users in 2012.

image.thumb.png.f3fb54caf4610f7d3a5784dceb33d4e2.png

One could argue that the concurrent user count has been flat for the past couple of years.

• Like 6

Tonight, while I was building a forest for a backdrop, @Truestar Mokeev IMed me and we chatted for a bit -- mostly about her new cafe. And while doing so, managed, not once, but twice, to get lost in my own forest.

Like, seriously. I'm not making this up.

Just to be clear, this is NOT a huge forest. But every time I tried to make my way back to the stream I'd put in, I'd get turned around, and head off in the wrong direction.

I tried trails of breadcrumbs, but the animesh squirrels ate them. I thought about cutting notches in trees, but all I have in my inventory is cutlery and bread knives.

I eventually realized I had to cam waaaaaay out and up to see where I actually was. Cuz clearly I wasn't seeing the forest for the trees.

This is me looking simultaneously amused and perplexed.

Lost-in-My-Forest-Blank.thumb.png.8ad1d52494c257b28f5c51f7c44510cb.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

14 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Tonight, while I was building a forest for a backdrop, @Truestar Mokeev IMed me and we chatted for a bit -- mostly about her new cafe. And while doing so, managed, not once, but twice, to get lost in my own forest.

Like, seriously. I'm not making this up.

Just to be clear, this is NOT a huge forest. But every time I tried to make my way back to the stream I'd put in, I'd get turned around, and head off in the wrong direction.

I tried trails of breadcrumbs, but the animesh squirrels ate them. I thought about cutting notches in trees, but all I have in my inventory is cutlery and bread knives.

I eventually realized I had to cam waaaaaay out and up to see where I actually was. Cuz clearly I wasn't seeing the forest for the trees.

This is me looking simultaneously amused and perplexed.

Lost-in-My-Forest-Blank.thumb.png.8ad1d52494c257b28f5c51f7c44510cb.png

This is how I feel now learning how to bake UDIM tiles LOL, in the youtube tutorials I've found!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

This is how I feel now learning how to bake UDIM tiles LOL, in the youtube tutorials I've found!!!

I have no idea what those are, but they can't possibly be more complicated than finding my way out of the forest.

Anyway, I at last found my stream.

https://gyazo.com/f44028c2d9360158c06b8c75561be4e9

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have no idea what those are, but they can't possibly be more complicated than finding my way out of the forest.

Anyway, I at last found my stream.

https://gyazo.com/f44028c2d9360158c06b8c75561be4e9

LOL, love the gyazo!!!

UDIM tiles are textures on an object that are broken up into multiple "tiles" that aren't repeating. This increases the resolution of a texture, because each individual tile can be a max size of 1024x1024.  Like taking 4 separate pics of a larger pic, and putting them together like a jigsaw puzzle (sort of). When you enlarge the whole pic, it's 4x as clear as enlarging  only the one main pic.  Perfect for large objects, like hills. 

• Like 2

I spent some time with @Cinnamon Mistwood last night, and this morning I put up some "welcome back" signs for Cat. I forgot to ask when she'll be back home inworld unfortunately, and she didn't have a lot of opportunity to email.

Sandor and Cinny at her house.png

pic_001.jpg

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 5

I finally found how to create UDIM tiles in 3DSMAX, after about six hours of Youtube tutorials. In..wait for it...a tutorial in an unknown language!!! So simple, that the other tutorials seemed to assume the person watching already knew this step!!!

The parts on the left correspond to the parts of the mesh model. Exporting the model into "Substance Painter" makes it possible to paint across all the pieces at once. I may not have enough parts for a good resolution though, and I might add more things before Cat and I are happy with the result. What I don't know yet, is if I have done enough to increase the resolution, since all the parts would fit in one tile at the size they are.  I might still be lost in the forest...

Desktop Screenshot 2023.07.07 - 20.23.59.62.png

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I finally found how to create UDIM tiles in 3DSMAX, after about six hours of Youtube tutorials. In..wait for it...a tutorial in an unknown language!!! So simple, that the other tutorials seemed to assume the person watching already knew this step!!!

The parts on the left correspond to the parts of the mesh model. Exporting the model into "Substance Painter" makes it possible to paint across all the pieces at once. I may not have enough parts for a good resolution though, and I might add more things before Cat and I are happy with the result. What I don't know yet, is if I have done enough to increase the resolution, since all the parts would fit in one tile at the size they are.  I might still be lost in the forest...

Desktop Screenshot 2023.07.07 - 20.23.59.62.png

Yeah... we were trying to use these way-back when...

Also, there is still nothing about UDIM in the SL Wiki.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Yeah... we were trying to use these way-back when...

Also, there is still nothing about UDIM in the SL Wiki.

I already tried it with my hill broken into 3 pieces. UDIM works just fine. I upload the textures separately, and add them to the corresponding "faces".  Our house is made up of UDIM tiles most likely. Each piece of floor and wall has multiple numbered tiles.

The only reason I need UDIM, is I can paint across multiple tiles to create a large nonrepeating texture for large objects. I can paint across the tiles in "Substance Painter", and bake out the individual PNG's.

Edited by Bagnu

Listening to Semina at the SL20B - The Mandala Stage

Snapshot_327(2).thumb.png.c86dcfc023846e28d8a01b37e9e8b813.png

Snapshot_324.thumb.png.cd4735bb7092d8b724b2086c400db316.png

I just logged in to catch the tail end of the performance 😢She has an amazing voice, and I wish I had logged in a bit sooner, I really am enjoying the songs.  According to shoutcast, there are currently 90 people listening, which is a pretty large gathering of people, so I had to turn down a lot of settings in my viewer to be able to catch it.  Tip for those of you who often crash out, when you go to about land if you copy the Music URL from the about land window, and paste it in your browser, you may find yourself crashing less than when you play directly from the viewer😉

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I met her dressed appropriately!!!

Yeah *cough* you dress like that often causing me to suddenly notice how pretty the SL clouds, stars, moon, that tree, the water, and those rocks are. 😳

Seriously, I'm happy for you that she's back.  You talked about her the entire time she was gone. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Yeah *cough* you dress like that often causing me to suddenly notice how pretty the SL clouds, stars, moon, that tree, the water, and those rocks are. 😳

Seriously, I'm happy for you that she's back.  You talked about her the entire time she was gone. 😄

Thanks!!! I'm really happy she's back!!!

And sure. Of course. That's why you've already posted two naked pics of me with you... Because you wanted to look at the scenery...

Edited by Bagnu
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bagnu said:

Thanks!!! I'm really happy she's back!!!

And sure. Of course. That's why you've already posted two naked pics with me... Because you wanted to look at the scenery...

Hey, now.  Those were posed with rules. "Nothing that can't be shown on the forums."

You get to choose the next pose or "moment-in-time" pic, however, the same rule applies to your photo choice. 

I'm off to go hiking.  Enjoy your afternoon. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Hey, now.  Those were posed with rules. "Nothing that can't be shown on the forums."

You get to choose the next pose or "moment-in-time" pic, however, the same rule applies to your photo choice. 

I'm off to go hiking.  Enjoy your afternoon. 

For sure. There would be no point in spending time on a pic specifically meant for the forums, if it would just get removed.  See you at the discussion tonight!!!

On 7/5/2023 at 4:40 AM, Istelathis said:

I'm still exploring SL20B, finding various exhibits I have missed as I have roamed the many regions.  

I found a cute exhibit called "Strange TRAVEL" which had a guided tour.  It is a small adventure you can partake in, I don't want to spoil it for others, but I thought it was pretty cute.

Snapshot_288.thumb.png.541c8b4c4947ae49a72cb7cd9360b475.png

Snapshot_299.thumb.png.017e345fd9efa85f2e1c83f2dbec69f7.png

I don't want to spoil the plot for those of you interested in visiting here, but I adored the entire style it was created in.  The characters reminded me of 8-bit sprites.  The exhibit is created so that you can take a guided tour, or walk through it on your own, as you go through it, the story unfolds, the first time through I went on the guided mode, the second time I decided to walk on my own to take it a bit more slowly, while appreciating the various scenes put together to tie the story together, and then clicking on the various characters with chat bubbles above their heads to explain the story as I progressed at my own pace.

Now I am off to explore other areas I may have missed.  Surprisingly, there does not seem to be many events being held tonight, I would have thought there may have been some due to the US having a pretty big holiday, but the spots they are normally held at are pretty empty.  I might hit up Lindo later on looking for some clubbing events to listen to a bit of music to.

I am so glad you are making these informative posts. I haven't been able to find long enough pockets of time in which to log in and explore SL20B unfortunately, and you're helping me to see what I've missed. Thank you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Yes, I DO seem to dress like this around you quite often. I can't help it...It just...Slips out...

Sandor and Cinny tilted head Sandor.png

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 3