Accidentally Attached ALL of one folder?

Syn Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1059 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I slipped up and accidentally clicked "attach" while right clicking one of my inventory folders and now I cannot get it to stop..

I am using Firestorm, and I have tried:

- Disconnecting

- Replacing Outfit (Both while loading items & while I had 38/38, neither worked)

- "Choose an avatar"

- Take Off > Detach All

Nothing has worked, and I'm not even sure what to do at this point..

Oh dear! 

I've done this numerous times!

There is no easy way... go to worn tab and detach things one by one. New things -which were perhaps queuing for a free attachment point?- will attach. Keep going until nothing appears attached.

Now relog - do not expect the nightmare to be over!! Things will keep re-attaching for a little while yet.

I have a huge clothing folder - it's taken me 1/2 hour and perhaps 3 - 4 relogs to detach everything.

Oh and log into a quiet region like Pooley to do this without further strain on your system from rendering surroundings.

Good luck and here's a little hug from me.

Emma :)

I've done this many, many times.

It will only attach so many things at a time, after that it hits the maximum limit and stops,  but If you manage to detach some, it will attach a few more until it hits the limit again (I forget what the limit actually is). You can do this, try detaching as you can, in batches, until it's attached and detached everything in the folder. If it's a big folder, that might be... a long time.

An alternative tactic is log off and forget about it. Play with an alt for a while or go do something else away from SL. It seems that if you're logged off for long enough (as far as I can tell, a couple of hours appears to be enough) it gives up and doesn't bother re-trying any more. You might log back in to find a few odd things attached, but by this point if you detach them, it won't try to add more.

• Like 1

Alternatively, you may also take a look at this page.

Note: If you have RLVa (Remote Scripted Viewer Controls) enabled, disable it and relog before beginning the following steps. Open your Preferences (Ctrl-P or Avatar menu → Preferences), and go to Preferences → Firestorm → Extras. Uncheck “Allow Remote Scripted Viewer Controls (RLVa)” and then relog.

Method 1

- Open the Current Outfit folder (no, don't click on the Worn tab; find the Current Outfit folder), and shift select blocks of 10 or so worn items and Right click → detach from yourself.
- Note: Do not attempt to remove too many worn links in one go, or you will likely crash or freeze. Also note that you cannot detach your skin, shape, bald hairbase or eyes links.
- Detach everything showing worn in Current Outfit folder that you can and then delete all unworn links a few at a time (again, dont delete too many at once or you may freeze/crash).
- Once you are only left with skin, shape, baldy and eyes worn, you may wish to empty trash as there may be hundreds of links in there.
- Now you are safe to replace outfit normally

Method 2

If the above doesn't solve the problem, the fix below usually works - though it may need to be repeated a couple of times:

- Go to Hippo Hollow
- Make a temporary folder in your inventory; in that, put a *copy* of your skin, shape, hair base and eyes - and if you like, a base layer garment like jeans or a dress. NO PRIMS
- Right click the folder you just made, and select Replace Outfit. No Add, not wear, but REPLACE
- Once that has done, relog to last location - ie, back to Hippo Hollow.
- Make sure you are still wearing only the things from the temporary folder you made
- At this point, you can put your normal avatar back on.

Not convinced that the second option on that page will work. It's been my experience that when this happens, trying to do anything else, like create a new folder or copy items, is next-to-impossible.

I'm surprised I didn't know this was a thing before .. Never had that happen to me. Doesn't sound like much fun though.

I remember years ago helping someone with this same thing.. For the life of me I can't remember  what we did..

All I remember really from that time is, we found an empty sim and went under the water..  That may have been to try and find the least laggy place we could.

I really wish i could remember what we did to get her fixed..

8 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Not convinced that the second option on that page will work. It's been my experience that when this happens, trying to do anything else, like create a new folder or copy items, is next-to-impossible.

I wonder if opening a second inventory window and trying to create a folder in there would work?

19 hours ago, Emmaelou said:

I slipped up and accidentally clicked "attach" while right clicking one of my inventory folders and now I cannot get it to stop..

I am using Firestorm, and I have tried:

- Disconnecting

- Replacing Outfit (Both while loading items & while I had 38/38, neither worked)

- "Choose an avatar"

- Take Off > Detach All

Nothing has worked, and I'm not even sure what to do at this point..

Imagine if you have done this with a folder not of clothing, but things, and they number 400+.

I wonder why the system doesn't have brakes on it to stop that because I have had it happen a number of times.

Relogging cures it sometimes, but sometimes not. Then you have no choice but to sit on a non-laggy sim and detach the things one by one. Some won't detach for puzzling reasons. So you move to the next. Using "replace outfit" with another normal folder of clothing doesn't work.

I don't know if the Lindens can help when this happens, you could try filing a ticket if you can't undo it. I have spent an hour undoing all the furniture on myself.

This is what happened when it stopped, I could not get any right clicking > remove all to work regardless of how I did it, relogging was the same, no effect.

I logged out for about an hour, and logged in via another computer and that seems to have resolved it. Though I am lucky enough to have had access to another computer.

Is there any way to prevent this in the future?? Like a setting or feature to just only allow you to attach x amount of items and anything after that is cancelled? This seems like a huge game ruining experience that is super easy to just... accidentally do?

7 hours ago, Emmaelou said:

This is what happened when it stopped, I could not get any right clicking > remove all to work regardless of how I did it, relogging was the same, no effect.

I logged out for about an hour, and logged in via another computer and that seems to have resolved it. Though I am lucky enough to have had access to another computer.

Is there any way to prevent this in the future?? Like a setting or feature to just only allow you to attach x amount of items and anything after that is cancelled? This seems like a huge game ruining experience that is super easy to just... accidentally do?

I found this older post on it, which is from 2012.. It more or less sounds like we all have to be careful of making that bad click..

Myself, I wish they would move the ADD and WEAR out of click range of each other.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I found this older post on it, which is from 2012.. It more or less sounds like we all have to be careful of making that bad click..

Myself, I wish they would move the ADD and WEAR out of click range of each other.. hehehe

I wish they would make it so that any further attempts at attaching an item after the limit would be cancelled, seems like an easy fix... though I doubt it will happen x.x

• Like 1

Since 2012 things have changed. It is much harder to select your entire inventory and wear it, which was happening often in 2012. (Aaaaaahhhh why am I wearing a table?) There was a Firestorm selection glitch that lead people to select the entire inventory, meaning the root folder got selected. It was a user mis-click that confused the viewer.

Now it is common to wear everything in a folder. Some people do their outfits that way rather than use the Appearance panel's Outfits. So the FS and Linden peeps can't remove that ability. The problem happens when you click a parent folder that has loads of child folders and items.

Now the fix is to select any outfit and use it to replace the mess you are wearing. Appearance panel->Outfits tab->Wear - replace current outfit. Generally this takes some time and people don't wait. So things can get really messed up if one doesn't understand what is happening and know they have to WAIT.

What happens is you get all that accidentally selected stuff jammed into the Current Outfit. I forget if you can see all that stuff if you look in the Current Outfit folder. As I recall, you can't and I'm NOT going to test it. BUT... all that stuff is piled up on the server side. So, you can take off everything visible in the viewers CO folder, relog and a new batch of what remains on the service side gets worn.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1059 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.