Mac Big Sur -- Firestorm 6.4.13 (63251) -- crashing on close?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 950 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Running 11.2.3 Big Sur -- Firestorm produces an Apple crash report always - on close.     Submitted a Jira but got a snarky response from someone who was looking for Windows "sysinfo."  Gave up, closed the Jira.

Wondering if anyone else has this -- and found a fix?   The good news is no kernel panics and seemingly no damage.   But I have stepped back to the previous version.   For anyone interested, included the first page of the crash report, see if it matches yours.

Running on a 2020 Mini, with external Sonnet/Radeon video.

Thanks all!!!

crash.png

13 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

FS doesn't crash on every close for me. It's maybe 50/50.

SL has always been a hairball, crash on close is a minor nuisance for me. A crash at any other time might get me out of my chair.

You made me laugh. You are right of course.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, current FS crashes now on every Quit now in 10.13.1

On 3/31/2021 at 10:49 AM, FaintOutline said:

Running 11.2.3 Big Sur -- Firestorm produces an Apple crash report always - on close.     Submitted a Jira but got a snarky response from someone who was looking for Windows "sysinfo."  Gave up, closed the Jira.

Wondering if anyone else has this -- and found a fix?   The good news is no kernel panics and seemingly no damage.   But I have stepped back to the previous version.   For anyone interested, included the first page of the crash report, see if it matches yours.

Running on a 2020 Mini, with external Sonnet/Radeon video.

Thanks all!!!

crash.png

I've been trying to reproduce this bug for the last couple of weeks. For a while, it was failing reliably for me, but it wasn't when I started, and isn't now.

All of the crashes I've seen have been with that same stack trace. It's trying to free something that's already been freed in the very last stages of Firestorm shutdown. It's not going to break anything, just be a nuisance.

I suspect it's scene-related, or something like that. For those of you who are having it regularly, are you always in the same sim when you log out? Better yet, at the same location, facing the same way?

12 hours ago, Tonya Souther said:

I suspect it's scene-related, or something like that. For those of you who are having it regularly, are you always in the same sim when you log out? Better yet, at the same location, facing the same way?

Certainly possible, but have only recently begun quitting where I am, rather than returning home (just a natural real world habit lol).    I have decided to skip this version.

• 2 weeks later...

I use FS on a 2016 MacBook Pro 15 with Big Sur and I've gotten the crash on quit pretty much every time. I'm definitely gonna try logging out in places other than home to see if it's scene-related. I'm lazy enough that closing one more window is a big fat pain, but also lazy enough that I haven't felt a need to do much about it :P 

Off the subject, how does SL run using an eGPU? If Radeon 6000 series graphics cards ever become available, I'm seriously considering this option.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm running a MacBook Air Big Sur 11.4 and an M1 2020 chip. The latest firestorm crashes every time I close it. 6.1.13. I have installed one back, and it does not crash on quit. it runs better on this machine than any other mac I've run it on (other than that crash) and probably because of the way the video memory works. My other macs had only 2 GB video ram, and not easily upgraded (or is it impossible) on an iMac or Macbook.

All these crash reports refer to FS...is the same thing occurring with the latest LL viewers as well, because if it is , it's most likely that it is the EEP render changes that are the problem and as such it is LL's job to fix that code.  Since I run Windoze I cannot contribute to the bug hunt.

2 hours ago, Aishagain said:

All these crash reports refer to FS...is the same thing occurring with the latest LL viewers as well, because if it is , it's most likely that it is the EEP render changes that are the problem and as such it is LL's job to fix that code.  Since I run Windoze I cannot contribute to the bug hunt.

Only FS   --   I could not reproduce it on the LL viewer.

Maybe open a case with Firestorm's support for questions or to report bugs?  I know some of them come here to help users and shop for bugs to fix but they shouldn't have to.  Maybe  your wait will be shorter if you take it to them.

Glad to hear the new Apple M1s are working at least as well or better than the cooling-challenged Intel notebooks their users have been struggling with for years.  No more lap blisters!  Good battery run-times.  Way less energy consumption.  I have been told they are quieter under load, too.

Also glad to hear LL dispell the rumor that they would soon cease development of the Apple Mac version of Second Life Viewer.  Dunno who started that one but they need to go play with thier favorite Linux distribution and stop tormenting Mac users.

While I am babbling, I was disappointed when LL stopped in-house development on their Linux version of the Second Life Viewer.  I was using Linux.  Some friends were too.  Now we are using Windows 10 and wondering what Windows 11 brings.  Already know my computer will run it.

@Whirly Fizzle Help please?

@Ardy LayWindoze 11??  God Help us, I trembled at the thought of 10 but after 2 years of updates it is no worse than 7 as far as I can see, though to the uninitated it is little more than spyware.

Edited by Aishagain
spelling

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, xxVi3perxx said:

Its gotta be a Mac issue I have that even with logging out its annoying for sure I guess MAC isn't worth to use for SL anymore I lag a lot in high traffic sims the only I don't seem to lag at is my homestead rental. Apple makes crappy products in general thank god I am upgrading to something decent. 

Really not about lag, I am running an Apple mini 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 -- with an AMD Radeon RX 5500XT - and the speed is just fine. 

This post is about crashing on close.  High traffic sims will lag no matter what you run, if your graphics settings are on high. 

Reading the log you contributed I'd say there' s nothing severe going on here : the viewer seems to get stuck in retreiving a texture at shuttingdown and from about line no 17 your system decides the viewer's thread on the CPU has to be closed and does so. It might be worth reporting a bug to the Firestom-devs, but I don' t think it' s critical since you experienced so yourself. 

5 hours ago, TDD123 said:

Reading the log you contributed I'd say there' s nothing severe going on here : the viewer seems to get stuck in retreiving a texture at shuttingdown and from about line no 17 your system decides the viewer's thread on the CPU has to be closed and does so. It might be worth reporting a bug to the Firestom-devs, but I don' t think it' s critical since you experienced so yourself. 

Agreed -- but there appears to be more need for testing, I was chastised for not being a beta tester.   But never really figured out what was entailed with becoming one.   This is so regular I can't imagine how it was missed.  Implication at the time I reported it was -- there were no beta testers. 

LOL  At the time I first posted -- I did not feel very comfortable about so many Apple "do you want to report this" messages.  I just downgraded and now only think about it when someone like you reads the thread.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 950 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.