Roll information, please

Aishagain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know the Grid status page says it will happen and we have a fair idea of what was rolled to some of the RC channels last week...but what is coming to  Main Server this week? 

Will it be 556138?

I know it's only late afternoon PST, but it is nearly 1am in the UK and 2am in Western Europe. 

It'd be nice to know what was coming before we are up and about in RL in that part of the world; we make up a substantial part of the SL population so please indulge us LL and publish the server thread for the rolls before we go to bed in RL...please?

Edited by Aishagain
Additional text and grammar correction
  • Thanks 1

Close to midnight, SL time, and nothing. Scripts which detect region restarts may have failed, I am seeing signs of problems with scripts starting, but I know of one Main Channel sim server which hasn't restarted since February 9th 2021.

WAKE UP, LINDENS!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Seems she has another nickname.  Deafity. A name shared by other customer- facing Lindens.

Sorry, I know this is harsh, but this situation has gone beyond normal boundaries.

Why is this happening?

20 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

Why is this happening?

We could concoct some Linden fanfic. Palace intrigue in the interregnum following the overthrow of the Great And Powerful Oz. All the Lindens off to be the wizard. Mix in some Game of Thrones, some Succession, and The Office.

• Haha 2

And the Roll has started and the Server Release Thread tarbaby he say nuttin'. 

NOT. GOOD. ENOUGH.

Edited by Aishagain
Removal of idiotic statement

Maybe we could stop using tarbaby?

1. A inextricable situation or difficult and pressing problem that often grows worse as one tries to deal with it.

2. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a black person, especially a dark-skinned black child.

Edited by Rowan Amore

We could stop using names altogether but that's really not the issue, and I don't think a pejorative was intended.

Much as I find the last few months annoying in SL  but putting  them against the much wider context suggests we're going to have to ride out the bad weather in both lives. My guess is uplift was forced on the Lab by things like commercial pressure or hardware coming to the end of it's life, and took priority.

I would rather have a slightly tricky but workable SL in the current covid-crisis than none at all.

It would nevertheless be nice to hear from the lab directly rather than have to catch snippets of interviews, or find threads closed down where some of us have perhaps complained a step too far; but if we knew a bit more, maybe we'd complain less?

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 1

@Rowan AmoreI used the term as a reference to a storied unresponding entity, I had no intention to cause offence, I did not, for a moment, make such a connection. I will not use it again.

The fact remains that for whatever reason, the Main Server Roll has come and gone today without any post on this forum from LL.

@Profaitchikenz HaikuYour reference to the pandemic is understandable but the work of Linden Lab is, I suggest, one of the best examples of a company that can perfectly well function in a "work-from-home" environment.

Edited by Aishagain

1 minute ago, Aishagain said:

@Rowan AmoreI used the term as a reference to a storied unresponding entity, I had no intention to cause offence, I did not, for a moment, make such a connection. I will not use it again.

The fact remains that for whatever reason, the Main Server Roll has come and gone today without any post on this forum from LL.

I know it wasn't intended to cause offense and none was taken.  I just didn't know if you were aware of how the word has been used in the past.  Mine was just a gut reaction to seeing it.

Ok ........... today's so-called rolling restart was more or less for the cat. It seems that only homesteads have been restarted, but nothing has been changed and we are still on February 1st Second Life Server 2021-02-01.555570. Following the information from TJ Linden there might be an update for the main channel next week. ............... Or not. Who knows. In the meantime, they continue to watch the RC channel on which the update was last week.

Edited by Miller Thor

@Solar LegionThere seems to be some confusion here.  That there was no change to report is one thing...That nothing HAS been reported is quite another. 

If there is to be "no change" then the post is that there will not be a roll to Main Server.  That is the convention.  As it happens my region was NOT rolled until I prodded support, so that is another aspect.

It would have been courteous of LL to let us know this prior to today but more to the point this is the third time recently that our region has been "omitted" from the schedule.  Last time I restarted the region after more than 15 days continuous running.  Today it was 21 days, as reported above by @Willow Wilder.

Edited by Aishagain

2 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

@Solar LegionThere seems to be some confusion here.  That there was no change to report is one thing...That nothing HAS been reported is quite another. 

If there is to be "no change" then the post is that there will not be a roll.  As it happens my region was NOT rolled until I prodded support, so that is another aspect.

It would have been courteous of LL to let us know this prior to today but more to the point this is the third time recently that our region has been "omitted" from the schedule.  Last time I restarted the region after more than 15 days continuous running.  Today it was 21 days, as reported above by @Willow Wilder.

You are rather right in there being a bit of confusion.

First, if there is no change to report, no post needs to be made. No, really - making a forum post to report a battery of restarts wherein no change is being made nor to attempt to correct an issue is rather pointless in my opinion. I'd much rather see posts notifying of actual updates - things more important than "We're turning the system off and back on again, as we do regularly." If you want reports on Restarts in general, this is where you go.

Second (and a rather different issue), is the apparent failure for some Regions to be Restarted on the originally stated schedule. That needs to be looked into.

So there's no misunderstanding on something here: Yes, seeing/getting announcements through fora, social media and such for other things (such as routine restarts/server maintenance) for some other things (such as games with Online functionality or MMOs) does, in fact, annoy me. If there is a centralized spot already in place for such information that will be unaffected by said restarts/maintenance .... there really isn't any need (or shouldn't be anyway) to plaster it elsewhere. If it happens on a regular schedule - same day of the week, same time ranges and such - there is even less reason for it!

Making an actual change? Sure, make a post and spread it around. Just doing a regular cycle to maintain efficiency/optimal operation? Especially if done on a set schedule? No, just no.

And that is my biggest gripe where the restarts are concerned: Unless there's some good reason I am missing, these should not be being executed at arbitrary times.

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

You are rather right in there being a bit of confusion.

I have not much to add to other than to say "I like fixed schedules posted in ONE place, not strewn around the place so that when a deviation does become necessary, most of the intended audience is looking at here-say because they found it in a copy that didn't get updated."

Also, I want to mangle the quoted sentence thusly: You are, rather right in there, being a bit of confusion.

*Sigh*

Well if the post on the Grid Status Page was:

1) Not an automated standard format, frequently posted without ANY reference to what will actually happen.

2) Updated with correct information near the actual operation.

I might agree with Solar.  However it is frequently innaccurate and to my mind thoroughly untrustworthy.

Solar is right in wanting an explanation for restarts like today's on/off/on farrago.

Posts to this forum annoy Solar when HE considers them unneccessary.  Clearly so does almost anything I say.  So it goes.

If the SL operation did not look like a confused mess, the lack of committment to posting info on this forum would be a bonus not a necessity.

2 hours ago, Aishagain said:

*Sigh*

Well if the post on the Grid Status Page was:

1) Not an automated standard format, frequently posted without ANY reference to what will actually happen.

2) Updated with correct information near the actual operation.

I might agree with Solar.  However it is frequently innaccurate and to my mind thoroughly untrustworthy.

Solar is right in wanting an explanation for restarts like today's on/off/on farrago.

Posts to this forum annoy Solar when HE considers them unneccessary.  Clearly so does almost anything I say.  So it goes.

If the SL operation did not look like a confused mess, the lack of committment to posting info on this forum would be a bonus not a necessity.

No, what annoys me is the endless complaining about a "lack of information" when there is no information to be given. What annoys me is this expectation some (not just you) seem to have with regard to what amounts to getting an empty "update" on routine maintenance. What annoys me is this seeming inability for said routine to be .... routine/predictable.

I could go on but rest assured ... it's just coincidence coupled with general exasperation.

ETA: To be clear, not trying to be an arse and being somewhat honest the above list of annoyances was written with a slight chuckle.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.