WTH is .....

Aethelwine

39 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

This is a relic from the long and distant past, do you know where this is?

is a remnant of the Outlands wall in Jessie

what is the historical significance of the little hill (and the land forward of it) that I am standing on ? (clue: Is linden land I am on)

clyde_001.png.5ab3da9756d1bc1384fe3196f2cadd2d.png

ps. I think that person doesn't have enough for sale signs. Can easy get another 10 or 20 on there

Edited by Mollymews
clue
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Mollymews said:

is a remnant of the Outlands wall in Jessie

what is the historical significance of the little hill (and the land forward of it) that I am standing on ? (clue: Is linden land I am on)

clyde_001.png.5ab3da9756d1bc1384fe3196f2cadd2d.png

ps. I think that person doesn't have enough for sale signs. Can easy get another 10 or 20 on there

Well you are in Clyde, but I am stumped with the significance of that hill. I can't see anything about it on the Wikia.

On this old map I was thinking it could be the last remnants of "lonely Island", but now I look again I see the pin for that text is in Welsh.

I am curious to know more

june-2003.jpg

Edited by Aethelwine

Incidentally I didn't know there was a relic of the outlands on Clyde as well with this sign and Eric Linden structure, on the other side of those parcels for sale.

At 20L$ a prim I think they might need some more signs to sell that land 

Snapshot_225.thumb.jpg.0dd8e6365949a67dc7e0870bd737c84d.jpg

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2

Since the Outlands wall ran North to South through the middle of Clyde... that terraforming is perhaps a relic of the wall?

South of the hill you highlight are some rocks similar to those pictured above. The creation date on them is 7 April 2003, the ones on Clyde by the sign are from 17-26 April 2003. Which is curious as the Wikia says the outlands in Clyde was made residential on 18 April 2003.

https://secondlife.fandom.com/wiki/Outlands

I am not 100% convinced the creation dates Secondlife viewer reports are always accurate, but if they are then the Clyde Outlands relics date back to just before and just after it was made residential. Where as the Jessie wall is 2002.

I am maybe off on a wild tangent to what you were looking for, but well interesting to me anyway :)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Since the Outlands wall ran North to South through the middle of Clyde... that terraforming is perhaps a relic of the wall?

South of the hill you highlight are some rocks similar to those pictured above. The creation date on them is 7 April 2003, the ones on Clyde by the sign are from 17-26 April 2003. Which is curious as the Wikia says the outlands in Clyde was made residential on 18 April 2003.

https://secondlife.fandom.com/wiki/Outlands

I am not 100% convinced the creation dates Secondlife viewer reports are always accurate, but if they are then the Clyde Outlands relics date back to just before and just after it was made residential. Where as the Jessie wall is 2002.

I am maybe off on a wild tangent to what you were looking for, but well interesting to me anyway :)

the little hill is part of a strip of land that runs from north to south across Clyde. Is the original location of the Outlands wall. Which separated the badlands from the rest of SL

To my right (the west) was the safelands and to my left (the east) was the outlands (the badlands)

in the outlands anything went - a den of iniquity even. Gentlemen and ladies of the night and everybody who wanted to be them, and weapons. If in the outlands encounter people sitting on prims and one, both or all of the prims were jiggling about while playing the motorcycle rider animation then either sit on a spare prim youself and join in, or avert your eyes. And if read coarse language in the chat then also avert your eyes

lots and lots of weapons, heaps of weapons. There is a old linden sign still up on Clyde (which you have found) makes it quite clear that weapons are ok in the outlands and if you get shot then oh! well. Either get yourself a gun or leave the outlands and go back over the wall to the safe westside. Getting shot in the outlands was a serious thing as it was damage-enabled. So best get some good armor (shield) as well

the issue which started what was called the Jessie War didn't start on Jessie region. It started on Clyde, between the settlers and the outlaws - the outlands regulars. (The Clyde land which has the For Sale signs on it). The Jessie region got added later along with Clementina and the outlands wall was moved onto Jessie region (a remnant of which we see today)

the war issue was that there wasn't enough land to begin with and people started going over the wall and homesteading/settling on the east side of the Clyde wall on Clyde region. Whereupon the outlaws promptly started shooting them and propositioning them for motorcycle rides

upon which some of the settlers started complaining really loudly to Linden about all these horrible outlaws ruining their SL. Clyde was rated PG and the 4 regions to the east were rated Mature. Until the settlers went over the wall the way it worked was that the east half of Clyde was considered outlands. The settlers tenuously complained that because PG it wasn't. The complaining was what really set the outlaws off. Settlers complaining about outlaws doing outlaw things in the outlands

the war escalated from there (escalating to anything and everything SL and some RL issues crept in as well). A situation that was not defused until the color regions were added. Lots of new land for settlers

edit ad: got my west/east mixed up, is the other west and the other east

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

the little hill is part of a strip of land that runs from north to south across Clyde. Is the original location of the Outlands wall. Which separated the badlands from the rest of SL

To my right (the east) was the safelands and to my left (the west) was the outlands (the badlands)

in the outlands anything went - a den of iniquity even. Gentlemen and ladies of the night and everybody who wanted to be them, and weapons. If in the outlands encounter people sitting on prims and one, both or all of the prims were jiggling about while playing the motorcycle rider animation then either sit on a spare prim youself and join in, or avert your eyes. And if read coarse language in the chat then also avert your eyes

lots and lots of weapons, heaps of weapons. There is a old linden sign still up on Clyde (which you have found) makes it quite clear that weapons are ok in the outlands and if you get shot then oh! well. Either get yourself a gun or leave the outlands and go back over the wall to the safe eastside. Getting shot in the outlands was a serious thing as it was damage-enabled. So best get some good armor (shield) as well

the issue which started what was called the Jessie War didn't start on Jessie region. It started on Clyde, between the settlers and the outlaws - the outlands regulars. (The Clyde land which has the For Sale signs on it). The Jessie region got added later along with Clementina and the outlands wall was moved onto Jessie region (a remnant of which we see today)

the war issue was that there wasn't enough land to begin with and people started going over the wall and homesteading/settling on th east side of the Clyde wall on Clyde region. Whereupon the outlaws promptly started shooting them and propositioning them for motorcycle rides

upon which some of the settlers started complaining really loudly to Linden about all these horrible outlaws ruining their SL. Clyde was rated PG and the 4 regions to the east were rated M. Until the settlers went over the wall the way it worked was that the east half of Clyde was considered outlands. The settlers tenuously complained that because PG it wasn't. The complaining was what really set the outlaws off. Settlers complaining about outlaws doing outlaw things in the outlands

the war escalated from there (escalating to anything and everything SL and some RL issues crept in as well). A situation that was not defused until the color regions were added. Lots of new land for settlers

Fascinating and more detailed read than I have seen documented anywhere else. It would be nice if stuff like that was archived on the wikia or the wiki.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Fascinating and more detailed read than I have seen documented anywhere else. It would be nice if stuff like that was archived on the wikia or the wiki.

most of the problem with this I think is because in the beginning SL was just one tiny startup in a ocean of tiny startups. Like I have forgotten how many internet sites I have signed up to which closed down shortly afterwards

a thing with startups is that we often don't know what will last and what will not. So we don't generally bother to document what we are doing in some new startup that on balance will most likely not be here tomorrow. Of course when a startup does last like SL has, then years later we think we should have documented that

on your other point raised. Unsynced parcel claim dates. What used to happen was that staff sometimes would claim parcels in their own account name. Do the rebuild then reclaim it back on the Governor Linden account

for example: Most of Pullman region has a claim date of August 2008. While the Pullman Welcome Area on the same region has a claim date of Aug 2006. Both claimed by Governor Linden

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ColetrainMike said:

I'm not finding the latest location.  I think I've exhausted all the ideas I had....I found some cool stuff though.  Is there any chance we can get a clue to help find it?

okay... the lighthouse you can see in those pictures.... well here is another angle taken from my boat as I return from an excursion in the Gulf of Lauren  

Snapshot_230.thumb.jpg.cf1981322a4fb313b3ad6588a29bae89.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...