Question?

Valhallena

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1250 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Valhallena said:

Oh okay, so people suffer in silence... got it.

Ty for answering. 👍

I have said before here that the existence of a reputable and transparent web resource to manage instances of in-world fraud, poor business practices, false advertising, and so forth, would be a great thing.

But such a resource would need to be, as I say, transparent. It would need to establish its credibility by actually investigating such things, and also by giving creators / landlords / service providers an opportunity to respond to complaints.

Without that kind of system of checks, such a site would be nothing more than another version of Virtual Secrets, with no way of knowing whether a complaint was justified, or merely someone with a grudge. Posting such things here on the forum would have exactly this effect: it would, at best, be a case of he said/she said.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have said before here that the existence of a reputable and transparent web resource to manage instances of in-world fraud, poor business practices, false advertising, and so forth, would be a great thing.

But such a resource would need to be, as I say, transparent. It would need to establish its credibility by actually investigating such things, and also by giving creators / landlords / service providers an opportunity to respond to complaints.

Without that kind of system of checks, such a site would be nothing more than another version of Virtual Secrets, with no way of knowing whether a complaint was justified, or merely someone with a grudge. Posting such things here on the forum would have exactly this effect: it would, at best, be a case of he said/she said.

I absolutely agree with that. I was hoping for that kind of space, but I guess having that kind of dedicated area on the forums seems too much to ask by our "service providers".

• Like 1

It's an very small percentage of SL users that visit the forums.  You might have more effect with a link in your profile to your blog.   You could also add your blog to your signature here on the forums.  That would be the only way anyone here (if they choose to open it) could be made aware of it within the rules of the forum.

ETA:  At least I think that's within the rules.  Don't quote me on that. 😄

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valhallena said:

Yes, and what about when items are brought in world?

Not sure what you mean. The product review allows a consumer the opportunity to rate the quality of a product they have purchased and are not satisfied with. Within it one can rate the company/creator itself if contacting them didn't help resolve the problem.

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Not sure what you mean. The product review allows a consumer the opportunity to rate the quality of a product they have purchased and are not satisfied with. Within it one can rate the company/creator itself if contacting them didn't help resolve the problem.

Arielle, items bought in world and NOT on the second life marketplace have no platform for customers to leave a review.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Valhallena said:

Arielle, items bought in world and NOT on the second life marketplace have no platform for customers to leave a review.

why you think there's the advice : demo///demo.///demo/// if no demo////dont buy ( for demo you can also fill in demo area for buildings/objects)

32 minutes ago, Valhallena said:

I absolutely agree with that. I was hoping for that kind of space, but I guess having that kind of dedicated area on the forums seems too much to ask by our "service providers".

For better or worse -- and I think mostly worse -- the mantra of commerce in SL is, and always has been, "caveat emptor."

That is, in some small part, a reflection of the free market libertarian ethos that underpinned the way this place was set up, but it's probably primarily a reflection of the reality that LL simply doesn't have the resources to police this kind of thing. That would eat up an enormous amount of time and money that we all, in the end, would pay for.

(That's also the reason, perhaps, that no one has ever set up a web site such as I described. It would be inundated with complaint, both valid and petty. And it would be expensive and very time consuming to run.)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Valhallena said:

Oh okay, so people suffer in silence... got it.

Ty for answering. 👍

In many cases, somebody claiming 'fraudulent' business practice is nothing more than the customer not being happy with how a particular issue was handled. 

Often "bad business practice" is subjective.

LL just doesn't really have the time or inclination to get involved and add that to their list of things to try and manage -- which of course would also require them hiring a bunch of people to do it.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

why you think there's the advice : demo///demo.///demo/// if no demo////dont buy ( for demo you can also fill in demo area for buildings/objects)

It's not always about things that can be demo'ed, but rather in world third party services.

• Like 1

Welp... I updated my profile on here and my second life profile of my blog link, hopefully that gets some attention.

In all my years on here, I have never been so peeved as to pursue a wrongdoer so relentlessly, I take IP logging and flat out stealing very seriously. 

Here's another question, besides reporting in world (which let's face it, that seems to just get ignored often, also do you have to be around the person or their land to report them?), how would you guys go about reporting a "company" on SL that logged your IP sneakily without your consent and now uses it to disrupt your SL experience?

Edited by Valhallena

2 minutes ago, Valhallena said:

Welp... I updated my profile on here and my second life profile of my blog link, hopefully that gets some traction.

In all my years on here, I have never been so peeved as to pursue a wrongdoer so relentlessly, I take IP logging and flat out stealing very seriously. 

Here's another question, besides reporting in world (which let's face it, that seems to just get ignored often, also do you have to be around the person or their land to report them?), how would you guys go about reporting a "company" on SL that logged your IP sneakily without your consent and now uses it to disrupt your SL experience?

How is someone using the knowledge of your IP to disrupt your SL experience?

Side note -- If you listen to music in public places, it isn't that hard for someone to get your IP.  I'm pretty sure them getting it is not against the TOS.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

How is someone using the knowledge of your IP to disrupt your SL experience?

Side note -- If you listen to music in public places, it isn't that hard for someone to get your IP.  I'm pretty sure them getting it is not against the TOS.  

I explain it in my blog that is linked on my profile, I won't post it here cause you guys told me that it's against forum rules.

No, I don't listen to music in public spaces, and yes when I read the TOS a few years ago, it was against the rules. They may have changed it, I don't know.

4 minutes ago, Valhallena said:

I explain it in my blog that is linked on my profile, I won't post it here cause you guys told me that it's against forum rules.

No, I don't listen to music in public spaces, and yes when I read the TOS a few years ago, it was against the rules. They may have changed it, I don't know.

I read your blog - yeah, lots of folks complain about that company.   I am pretty sure that they do not tell others your IP, but simply block access to regions using their product by any account that is logged in on that IP.

You should know that - assuming you get your internet through a commercial provider -- that someone knowing your IP does NOT tell them specifically where you live (though it might give a very general area), nor can they get any "sensitive information about you like your full government name" from your IP.  Some folks might have told you that out of ignorance or to scare you, but it is not true.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I read your blog - yeah, lots of folks complain about that company.   I am pretty sure that they do not tell others your IP, but simply block access to regions using their product by any account that is logged in on that IP.

You should know that - assuming you get your internet through a commercial provider -- that someone knowing your IP does NOT tell them specifically where you live (though it might give a very general area), nor can they get any "sensitive information about you like your full government name" from your IP.  Some folks might have told you that out of ignorance or to scare you, but it is not true.

No, not anything someone has told me but rather what I had to go through on my own with an online stalker who phished me 8 years ago (this was not someone from SL but a person from another virtual platform). The person used to send links of music and stuff, and me being super naive would just click and listen to the tunes, not knowing that he was logging where I was. Yeah, he found me, I had to get the police involved and everything, but anyway... yeah, people can do more with your IP than you think. 

10 minutes ago, Valhallena said:

No, not anything someone has told me but rather what I had to go through on my own with an online stalker who phished me 8 years ago (this was not someone from SL but a person from another virtual platform). The person used to send links of music and stuff, and me being super naive would just click and listen to the tunes, not knowing that he was logging where I was. Yeah, he found me, I had to get the police involved and everything, but anyway... yeah, people can do more with your IP than you think. 

If you were clicking links from someone, he was probably capturing far more than your IP.

• Like 3

Just now, RowanMinx said:

This system has been complained about for years.  There is also a free HUD on the MP that informs where they largest pots are so that would explain all.the random people showing up.

I saw lots of complaints about them from sticky websites like virtual secrets but that's the issue, you have no idea what to believe from a site like that and so you just go and try anyway. This is why I think it def would be a good investment for LL to create something that helps with this. I may be a SL'er with a decent amount of years under my belt that won't get scared off the platform like that, but what about new Suzie who's been here for less than a year and wants to have her hand at using this third-party service that sounds so good only to be burned. It's distasteful and can literally send people running for the hills, right off the platform.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1250 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.