Firestorm 6.4.12 Camera Presets change.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would be interested too as yesterday I clicked something and was suddenly stuck looking at myself when walking instead of looking from behind.  I pressed what I though was default and was then looking down at the top of my head.  The presets I presumed to be defaults until you create your own but they weren't what i expected.  I must stop myself clicking things when I don't know what they do. 

12 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I would be interested too as yesterday I clicked something and was suddenly stuck looking at myself when walking instead of looking from behind.  I pressed what I though was default and was then looking down at the top of my head.  The presets I presumed to be defaults until you create your own but they weren't what i expected.  I must stop myself clicking things when I don't know what they do. 

Same here - we were stuck far up in the air, and none of the camera options or preferences would revert it back - no idea what I pressed!

Seems like Firestorm made it possible to create more camera presets than there already were, and added a more convenient button for it.

In the previous version of Firestorm (also applies to most modern viewers) there were 3 presets in at least two places:

• World > Photo and Video > Cameratools
    • These are the presets you'll find in the new version by default:
      becac29b58.png

• The 3 buttons on the top-left corner are the same as above:
      1f41eef029.png
Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

• 2 weeks later...

I can't figure them out. I can make a preset but then it'll just go back to that low butt view, IF it decides to behave. This camera is super frustrating now and I've had firestorm for nearly 10 years, figuring out how things work isn't a stranger to me. But I've been battling these controls since I downloaded this update and I'm about to toss everything in the dumpster.

I also can't figure out how to raise the follow camera. It stays focused on my butt no matter what I try to change and save.

36 minutes ago, Aeromia said:

I can't figure them out. I can make a preset but then it'll just go back to that low butt view, IF it decides to behave. This camera is super frustrating now and I've had firestorm for nearly 10 years, figuring out how things work isn't a stranger to me. But I've been battling these controls since I downloaded this update and I'm about to toss everything in the dumpster.

I also can't figure out how to raise the follow camera. It stays focused on my butt no matter what I try to change and save.

None of the original debug settings or original methods will work with the new floater. This means that adjusting CameraOffsetFront/Group/Rear and FocusOffsetFront/Group/Rear will do nothing.

Hit the Presets button on the new floater, adjust the camera to where you want it, hit Save as preset, give it a name. Now it will appear in the dropdown box below the Presets button.

You must use that dropdown box to get to and use your new presets.

If doing that does not work, you're wearing something that alters your camera view.

Edited by Solar Legion

After a few minutes of irritation, I found that the new FS camera controls are actually quite intuitive and provided you remember to "create a new preset" or overwrite an existing one you can place your camera pretty much wherever you want.  Simply use the floater that appears when you click "position" and save the preset you create.  I might add that you can also overwrite the three "standard" presents for front, group/side and rear view in this way.

Inara Pey's turorial explains it pretty well, see Anna Nova's post above for the url. I now have several new preset camera positions and a rear view that suits me well rather than the view from 9 feet up that it used to be.

As Solar notes, adjustment in "Debug settings" does not hold but adjustment via the "position" floater does! (provided you remember to overwrite the appropriate view!)

Edited by Aishagain
additional text

1 hour ago, Aishagain said:

After a few minutes of irritation, I found that the new FS camera controls are actually quite intuitive and provided you remember to "create a new preset" or overwrite an existing one you can place your camera pretty much wherever you want.  Simply use the floater that appears when you click "position" and save the preset you create.  I might add that you can also overwrite the three "standard" presents for front, group/side and rear view in this way.

Inara Pey's turorial explains it pretty well, see Anna Nova's post above for the url. I now have several new preset camera positions and a rear view that suits me well rather than the view from 9 feet up that it used to be.

As Solar notes, adjustment in "Debug settings" does not hold but adjustment via the "position" floater does! (provided you remember to overwrite the appropriate view!)

.... Oh son of a .....

I did not see the 'Defaults' as options when recreating my original view presets ..... Thank you.

17 minutes ago, Anna Nova said:

I have one thing to add to this discussion.  Why oh why does Firestorm store the Camera settings globally, it would be SO MUCH more useful per login?  I'm trying to get a Jira account so I can request this 'feature'.

Why would you want it to reset to default every time you log in? If you have an avatar (such as an animal of some sort or dragon, or centaur) that requires a different camera vieew, wouldn't you need that every time you wear that av?

I like these newfangled preset things, and I do like that Esc takes you back to the preset rather than the rear view. But I also miss being able to Esc to the rear view when I want to start walking. I'd so much like an additional Esc when in a preset (or front or side/group) view to take you to the rear view.

• Like 1

To be perfectly honest I can see no advantage in having the camera options reset to default at every login, maybe I misunderstood @Anna Nova

What would be good, In my view, would perhaps be a facility to have presets storeable on a "per account" basis, this is something I have wanted for years, I suspect @Drake1 Nightfire would find that useful.  The fact that I requested that feature back in 2016 and nothing has been done, either by FS or LL rather suggests that it was not practicable, shame!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Why would you want it to reset to default every time you log in? If you have an avatar (such as an animal of some sort or dragon, or centaur) that requires a different camera vieew, wouldn't you need that every time you wear that av?

I have several alts who use the same copy of Firestorm.  When I say 'per login' I mean different setting of firestorm depending on which alt I log -in as.  Maybe there is better language to describe this, but I still don't know it.  Sorry I confused you.

3 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I have several alts who use the same copy of Firestorm.  When I say 'per login' I mean different setting of firestorm depending on which alt I log -in as.  Maybe there is better language to describe this, but I still don't know it.  Sorry I confused you.

Make a different preset for each alt?

@Drake1 NightfireThe problem with that is that camera setting persists across a relog irrespective of the account, so in order to be in the correct view for the next alt, you would need to log out in the appropriate preset, which might be really inappropriate for the other.

Now while that is a workaround it is not anywhere near ideal.

Since we can have many other 'per account' settings, I have to wonder why we cannot have 'per account ' camera presets.

ETA: I have made a feature request on the FS JIRA for this feature today.

FETA (no, not Greek cheese):  I raised a feature request with Firestorm on their JIRA and very quickly Willow Wilder  smoothed out the wrinkles in my ham-fisted submission and Ansariel Hiller explained why the answer is NO.  Apparently this option is or was available in the Linden Viewer but it causes some rather unpleasant glitches.  See  for yourself: https://jira.firestormviewer.org/browse/FIRE-30646

Her  comment on closing it: "Per-account camera presets are implemented in the Linden Lab viewer same as graphic presets - and nicely broken because it results in all kind of random behavior when for instance opening preferences without being logged in. So not going happen only to be able to set a particular preset on logout. If you desperate need this, you can do so by creating different shortcuts on your desktop and using the "--settings" command line parameter for each account - then you have everything per-account separated."

That's pretty clear to me.

Edited by Aishagain
Additional information

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.