How to determine a fair price for a parcel?

agentronin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I consider purchasing a small parcel in the Tariah region. In this region I see on the World-Map everywhere the red, and green, $ icon. This raises the concern that the parcels in this vicinity are being offered at too high a price sell easily, and whether I would be able to recoup the purchase price in a reasonable time should I decide to sell it some day.

How can I determine a fair price for a parcel? Are there property appraisers in SL?

• Haha 1

There may be people who spend time researching land sales but you must make your own judgement on them.  A land price is as high or as low as the seller wishes to make it considering the value of the area, or their opinion of its worth.  Some set unreasonably high prices simply to use Search as a way of bringing attention to their business, without any intention of selling.  I don't see much of value in that region except that it is Adult-rated; those who wish to make use of its freedom might be expected to pay more.  Have you seen the current parcels when using Search?  If not then I advise you to try using it.

33 minutes ago, agentronin said:

I consider purchasing a small parcel in the Tariah region. In this region I see on the World-Map everywhere the red, and green, $ icon.

i see just a few parcels for sale there, but the prices are rediculous.

A normal prive for such mainland region?... 1-5 L$ per sqm..thats it.

For normal residental use you don't need adult land, moderate is more than enough. Find a abandoned parcel you like, and send a request to LL by ticket to sell it to you( or partly piece of the parcel) If possible they will help you with it for normally 1 L$ sqm.

Lots of things to consider, but this particular region is pretty badly script-lagged, with only between 20 and 25% of scripts getting to run each frame. That's not too surprising because there are 11,000-some scripts at the moment. (There are also 13 avatars on the region somewhere, presumably the AFK "hentai" parcel, which may account for some of those scripts. Or there may be a nest of breedables somewhere, too.)

Personally I wouldn't take land for free on this region.

• Like 1

Your replies are appreciated, thanks.

I got the region name wrong. When I posted this question I failed to notice I had crossed a region boundary. The parcels I am looking at are actually in the adjacent Arket region. There is lag in Arket also. I experience low FPS, and when moving my avatar in Arket it frequently rubber bands. There is a large adult RP sim in this region, which might have something to do with the lag.

The parcels are on an invisible protected roadside.

It looks to me like someone has subdivided a lot of land in this region, and is attempting to profit by selling off all the subdivisions for prices that total a greater price than the acquisition cost of parcel, or region, that was subdivided.

I am interested in how one looks up what percentage of scripts are getting to run each frame. How is this done?

I have property in Arket and your lag spikes are coming from ***** Street and those ugly boxes they put on the ground.  It's not too bad most of the time but sometimes it can be.  Also, there has been a lot of political activity around there as there is a Trump pub on the next sim over and trump haters come and go with their laggy builds.  Those properties don't sell much but we do get renters in there from time to time that can cause problems.

On 12/8/2020 at 11:57 AM, agentronin said:

How can I determine a fair price for a parcel? Are there property appraisers in SL?

I'm chiming in with a completely different aspect of this. Assuming you're not just filling up the Premium tier you already have anyway, don't think purchase price, think TCO - Total Cost of Ownership. You buy once but you pay tier every month and it doesn't take long before a relatively minor difference in purchase price becomes a trivial part of the big picture.

On 12/8/2020 at 1:17 PM, agentronin said:

Your replies are appreciated, thanks.

I got the region name wrong. When I posted this question I failed to notice I had crossed a region boundary. The parcels I am looking at are actually in the adjacent Arket region. There is lag in Arket also. I experience low FPS, and when moving my avatar in Arket it frequently rubber bands. There is a large adult RP sim in this region, which might have something to do with the lag.

The parcels are on an invisible protected roadside.

It looks to me like someone has subdivided a lot of land in this region, and is attempting to profit by selling off all the subdivisions for prices that total a greater price than the acquisition cost of parcel, or region, that was subdivided.

I am interested in how one looks up what percentage of scripts are getting to run each frame. How is this done?

Every time you consider buying land, you must always IM the seller and make an offer lower than their asking price. People often put outlandish prices on their land, or they price high like the big buys who have the large amount of stock and the patience to wait for their price to be met. So make an offer of something lower. I try never to pay more than $3 for inland and $7 for waterfront. And I will get that price sometimes by offering it to someone who is desperate to sell and finally has to realize that their tier date is coming again, and take something rather than try to lower it so far it will be eaten by scripted bots -- which can be lower than 0.2/m or even less except for waterfront. 

How much lower? Well, look around at the other sims and what land is selling for -- or even consider all you are willing to pay -- and make a judgement. You can offer $5000 on a 1024, the owner who has it for sale for $10,000 might come back and say they can't take less than $7000 -- you still have saved over buying it outright at the price they set. More people should do this.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Every time you consider buying land, you must always IM the seller and make an offer lower than their asking price. People often put outlandish prices on their land, or they price high like the big buys who have the large amount of stock and the patience to wait for their price to be met. So make an offer of something lower. I try never to pay more than $3 for inland and $7 for waterfront. And I will get that price sometimes by offering it to someone who is desperate to sell and finally has to realize that their tier date is coming again, and take something rather than try to lower it so far it will be eaten by scripted bots -- which can be lower than 0.2/m or even less except for waterfront. 

How much lower? Well, look around at the other sims and what land is selling for -- or even consider all you are willing to pay -- and make a judgement. You can offer $5000 on a 1024, the owner who has it for sale for $10,000 might come back and say they can't take less than $7000 -- you still have saved over buying it outright at the price they set. More people should do this.

I agree, I bought a land that was up for sale for 49999k means 50k really - _ - anyway I offered them 30k for it and they accept it!

But recently I offered a price to land I really can't afford right now, and they didn't accept it, but I told them my offer still stands if they ever changed their mind, and now I'm keeping an aye on it, they lowered the price, but not the price I wanted, I'm still hoping they will accept my offer eventually! 🤞

Edited by SarahThe Wanderer
  • Like 1

I decided to rent instead of purchase.

I wanted that specific plot because it was within view of the political activity near there. I wanted to answer that political activity with a satirical statement of my own. That statement is on display there now.

I decided to rent because after the USA presidential inauguration there is no difference it would make anymore, and there is no other purpose it would be useful to me for. If I change my mind later, I will make an offer.

I am interested in knowing how to know where lag is coming from in a region.

On 12/15/2020 at 10:30 PM, agentronin said:

I decided to rent instead of purchase.

I wanted that specific plot because it was within view of the political activity near there. I wanted to answer that political activity with a satirical statement of my own. That statement is on display there now.

I decided to rent because after the USA presidential inauguration there is no difference it would make anymore, and there is no other purpose it would be useful to me for. If I change my mind later, I will make an offer.

I am interested in knowing how to know where lag is coming from in a region.

So that's you that put up another HUGE ugly sign that can be seen from 3 sims away.  Thanks for helping to keep my neighborhood looking decent.  As if the S**t Street boxes and the giant Biden sign weren't enough.  Thank you for that.  I and my neighbors really appreciate it.

Edited by TT120
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

Tariah is an adult region and prices are always higher there.

Determining its value is purely based on how fast you want to sell it.

Adult land sellers do not base prices on the region they are in but an over all market value. If you use Firestorm viewer pull up the search. Content > Search > Land Sales > Set filter to "Price per meter" and check the box that says Ascending and uncheck General and Mod. Then there you have your current adult market filtered from the cheapest to the most expensive. If you want to sell it fast, price it lower than the current lowest priced parcel. If you want to get more money out of it then price it higher and wait it out.

Price divided by Area/sqm.

On 12/17/2020 at 4:00 PM, TT120 said:

So that's you that put up another HUGE ugly sign that can be seen from 3 sims away.  Thanks for helping to keep my neighborhood looking decent.  As if the S**t Street boxes and the giant Biden sign weren't enough.  Thank you for that.  I and my neighbors really appreciate it.

I wish that guy would remove those boxes too... and all those political war signs all over the place. I thought LL was fixing that when they put the blurb in the TOS about political signs no longer allowed but I guess thats only on advertising boards.... such a shame.

Edited by Malin Sabra
typo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.