NickixSantos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So far i've filed several abuse reports regarding a handful of alts which remain logged in for days. I only recently noticed the main and his/her alts would tp to a spot on a region i live in and tp out within 5-15 seconds. All of these accounts appear as orange clouds to me. I believe im being traced from region to region because they would appear on a sim i tp to for a very brief moment then log out. This could happen up to 5 times a day for the duration of when im online, also these alts usually end up at public hubs or sandboxes but not sure where they spend most hours of each day. 

I messaged the person what their deal was. No answer, so i chose to not dive more otherwise i'll be feeding the troll. I never have accepted random items from strangers or even friends. Nor have i ever issued anyone map rights.Somehow even on my very discreet shopping alt i was found at a remote sim which is (i believe) almost impossible since its a whole other account when one of their griefer alts found me there.

I want to know how this is possible and how i could counteract this. Blocking doesnt solve the issue if i cant use an alternative or new account and still be tracked.

Edited by NickixSantos
Problem solved
  • Haha 2

Do any of your bots have the last name Hoxley? Seems to be a name I remember for some reason.. As far as I know there are region bots picking up data or something like that. It never stops .. they pop in for a few seconds and poof. No harm done. Maybe traffic bots? I suggest if it's gets too annoying you could wear a tin hat. It blocks their tracking capabilities 🙄 

Or if you are being followed congrats! you have your very own stalker who has a online hud to see when you are on. If you frequent the same spots chances are they will show up there. If all they do is tp in and out id say find a new stalker at least one who calls you names and gives you something to read. Jokes aside, I'm sticking by the land bot data thing. 

psst nows the time to put that hat on I spoke of earlier :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kawaii Kiyori said:

I've been playing second life almost 11 years and have NEVER seen this until recently. So, sorry if I really don't think it's a coincidence or random bots. 

I read somewhere here in the forums that LL has greatly increased the bots that they have out checking performance of regions - likely related to their move to AWS.  

On 7/28/2021 at 6:47 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Regardless, unless you are wearing an item someone gave you, there is no way for anyone to track you.  Period.

I'm not sure this is entirely true, or rather that it has always been entirely true. It may be true now, but I don't know. What I'm referencing is a bit of coding contained in an old version of the SL viewer from back in 2008 - check this article about it that appeared in Engadget: https://tinyurl.com/EngadgetTateruNino102008 

I once had a SL acquaintance tell me he could track anyone using an instant message sent to them, and they didn't even have to respond, he could see their location after he opened up the IM. I'm pretty sure he was referencing this same exploit that is highlighted in this brief article. What I wonder is if this can still be used by someone who wants to track people in SL - maybe they saved an old copy of the viewer, or they are able to reverse-engineer it back to a previous state. I'd love to hear something definitive about this from the Lab, tbh.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Beryl Greenacre said:

I'm not sure this is entirely true, or rather that it has always been entirely true. It may be true now, but I don't know. What I'm referencing is a bit of coding contained in an old version of the SL viewer from back in 2008 - check this article about it that appeared in Engadget: https://tinyurl.com/EngadgetTateruNino102008 

I once had a SL acquaintance tell me he could track anyone using an instant message sent to them, and they didn't even have to respond, he could see their location after he opened up the IM. I'm pretty sure he was referencing this same exploit that is highlighted in this brief article. What I wonder is if this can still be used by someone who wants to track people in SL - maybe they saved an old copy of the viewer, or they are able to reverse-engineer it back to a previous state. I'd love to hear something definitive about this from the Lab, tbh.

No

21 minutes ago, Beryl Greenacre said:

What I'm referencing is a bit of coding contained in an old version of the SL viewer from back in 2008 - check this article about it that appeared in Engadget: https://tinyurl.com/EngadgetTateruNino102008 

Ahh yes 2008 was supposed to be a good year. I remember being in my late 20's and watching the Beijing Olympic Games with some friends and a "wannabe" future wife so many nice memories but also that damn economic crisis which created so many problems..

Anyway back to 2022 (4 days left) and being almost mid 40's now,  nope people cannot track you with an IM in Second Life.

-----

Florida's Low was hottest song of 2008

No ones tracking you , what your seeing are survey & land bots , currently we have around 276 active ones logged and quite honestly they are a pain in the b--t, being a big rental company on mainland they constantly trigger our landing boards & land in peoples houses , one way we have partially solved this is placing the most active ones on our caspersafe system ,  keeps them out until the next new wave are created which seems to be every 5/6 months 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.