Seeing IP addresses?

A90 Northman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, A90 Northman said:

I hear claims that people could bypass this with third party plugins.  Is this true or was I being punked? If it's true, this would not go well for those who want to keep their all their RL information out of SL, including geographical locations.

IP adresses aren't private, you, or better your machines, show it to every device they connect to.

To keep it to SL residents.. not even what LL is possible to do ... al DJ's you listen to, or radiostations, or media can see, and most collect data from their listeners by it.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, A90 Northman said:

I hear claims that people could bypass this with third party plugins. 

I can be short about this. It's BS. The forum does not provide that kind of info an any way. Have a look at the source of the page then try and find any IP address at all in it. It is simply not there. And if it is not there, it can not be magically conjured up out of thin air.

As for what Alwin said, all that is true.
It must be noted though that LL has already gone through great length to keep your info safe and out of SL for as much as possible. However, radio in SL uses 3rd party sources that LL can not control. The same goes for videos played on screens (shared media or the classic way). All of them can potentially collect your IP address (although most of those don't care and just won't collect anything).
Do note that contrary to a popular myth, using voice can NOT expose your IP address to other users. It will, however, send your IP address to Vivox where it is being used to connect your IP voice to other people's voice.

• Like 2

And even if people can see your IP address, that does not lead right to your house or RL name anyway.  They can get the general area or perhaps the city of the DHCP server that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) uses for your account.  That could be 100's of miles from your actual location and changes from time to time.  Your ISP could possibly find out what account a certain IP was assigned to at any given time but they do not give out that kind of information without a court order. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

LL can see your ip address easily, it's built into all forum software, even old forum software, it's for banning of ip address and such,  but only LL should have the ability,  moderators should be set to not being able to see that info, which is typically default.   

The knowledge of an IP does not give you any banning ability. In my case I don't even need a VPN to have a different IP everytime I visit this forum.

It's a technical necessity to give the web server  your IP so it can send you the data.
Logging the IP will not give LL the general ability to ban someone or locate someone - only if the people's connection allow them to do so. 

The OPs concern is a possible localisation by other users - not possible here if there are no security holes/misconfigurations in the forum software.
If there are serious concerns - a VPN is needed and never trust anybody to do things right.

On 11/14/2020 at 8:35 PM, TT120 said:

And even if people can see your IP address, that does not lead right to your house or RL name anyway.  They can get the general area or perhaps the city of the DHCP server that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) uses for your account.  That could be 100's of miles from your actual location and changes from time to time.  Your ISP could possibly find out what account a certain IP was assigned to at any given time but they do not give out that kind of information without a court order. 

This here is exactly right. If we were still in the days of Windows 98 then I'd say IP tracing was very much possible because it was back then if you had the technical know how to do it which not many people did. In today's age it's a lot more complicated then that. At best even if they get your IP all they can truly find out is what city your localized to if that even comes up correctly. Sometimes it will lead to neighboring areas surrounding your location. lol It's why I don't even bother with a VPN. 😎

On 11/14/2020 at 10:21 PM, Talligurl said:

Someone once tried to impress me once by telling me where i was, and yes he missed by about 100 miles.

Shame on you for still not using Windows 98 so he can find where ya are. Lmao!!!!😜

11 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

Shame on you for still not using Windows 98 so he can find where ya are. Lmao!!!!

One, it was not my computer, two it was a while back, so I doubt that computer is even still being used,

27 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

One, it was not my computer, two it was a while back, so I doubt that computer is even still being used,

Oh I was just joking around when I said that anyway. I hope you didn't take that seriously. Sorry if that came out wrong. I mean technically it had more to do with how networks and stuff like that were set up back then.😎

1 minute ago, AnonymousMike said:

Hi you can have my ip address its: 192.168.1.1

Will it double my bandwidth if I take it? lol If not then thanks, but I am good mate. lol 😁

• Like 1

ip addresses are something I do not even worry about anymore, back when I had a pure static 24 block, then yep, but now, I just change the mac address on the router and tada a new ip!  2 clicks to do all that lol.   but certain people in SL are so uppity over ip addresses,  Mine used to lead directly to me,  but dhcp handed out from the headend of your isp should never be of concern,  if you ever have problems and can not change the mac address or the ip directly,  simple as calling into the isp and asking even tier 1 guys to cycle the device so it gets a new ip. 

• Like 1

the only minor issue with others being able to see your ip addy is they might be able to tell if you have an alt. since both accounts would use the same ip add when connecting normally.

this alt sniffing, hunting was a big thing a few years back, but dont really think people care about it as much anymore.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.