Can I have sky platform in a main-land?

Zohra Whimsy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Regular Mainland you can do as you please. In the Linden Homes regions (not "really" Mainland) there are some restrictions, such as minimum height of sky builds. In the interest of neighborliness, you may want to follow those rules even on real Mainland, and choose an altitude above 1000m that's relatively free of neighboring builds.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Zohra Whimsy said:

Hi, I am a premium member and i wanted to have a land on mainland. Can anyone please let me know if I can have a sky platform on main land or does it allow only to have home on the ground? thank you so much 

Oh yes, and that is actually very smart, since you can buy unattractive land cheap and have your own paradise in the sky.😉

I second that you should be considerate and move your sky platform so high that neighbors don't see it. Low floating sky boxes are so sad to look at from the ground.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You can have a platform at any height between ground height and 4096m on mainland however to be a good neighbour you might want to consider a minimum height of 1000m. I had one neighbour pull me up on my then sub 1000m platform whilst understanding of why it was sub 1000m i did move it to over 1000m

• Like 1

I don't really want to add too much more info (oh, of course not), but I'd rather assess the points above a bit differently, so I'll include some more info inevitably as well.

First, if you by any chance meant a Linden Home on Bellisseria, as Qie mentioned, there are restrictions. (In fact Bellisseria connects two Mainland continents, but itself is the Linden Homes 2 estate, not Mainland.) These are the ones that you should consider in this case:

1, The parcel you can get there is 1024 square meters. This limits the area of your sky platform to this size, but actually, 1024 sqm is really not a small area.

2, "Skyboxes are only allowed above 2000m."

On Mainland, however, there are indeed no such restrictions. As Qie (and then everyone else) advised, building the skybox above 1000m altitude is still a considerate thing to do. Especially since that way it will pretty sure not be visible from the ground from anywhere.

It should be common sense not to build anything in a way that it exceeds your parcel borders, especially onto public parcels, other than properly building a "buffer" between any two objects to bridge them (to connect 2 skyboxes, or your driveway with the road). It is, however, not really common sense for everyone, so it's worth a note. Also, any object under 400 meters altitude leaves a map print on the world map texture. If you build anything below that altitude, and it would cover anything else than your parcel, it would be pretty easily noticeable.

If you don't want to bother with the ground, road or waterway access, anything down there, you can easily find a parcel for your liking and in the right size. You might want to make sure you fly up to 4096m (rather teleport up and drop down) on the desired parcel to see the skyboxes on the neighboring parcels. Sometimes there are 100m diameter sky bubbles across a whole region, because one person didn't care about their neighbors. Sometimes there are even several ones in one region, at different heights. Make sure the land you pay for is clear all the way vertically at least when you buy it, so you don't have to find out about these things later and try to return those big, glitchy things to your neighbor. I would also avoid neighboring parcels that claim to be "multiscene rentals", because you can never know what kind of things are in their scene rezzers that might or might not reach over to your parcel accidentally. If the view around the parcel is quite clear, it should be fine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

a neighbourly thing to do when choosing a height for your skybox is to be cognisant of the shadow cast by a skybox platform. The shadow cast has a distance of about 128 meters

so if our skybox is less than 128 meter above a neighbours skybox and both are in line with the direction travel of the sun under default mainland EEP settings then our skybox will cast a shadow over their skybox

so to be neighbourly pick a spot that leaves at least a height gap of over 128 meters between

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

If you are on the mainland you can build to any height under 4096 as long as you don't intrude on the neighbors parcel.  If the the neighbors don't like it, sucks to be them.  They aren't paying your tier.

It is never wrong to be considerate, and since the sky is clear, it is easy to be considerate and move a few 100 m more up in the sky so you are out of eyesight. It does not ruin anything for you, and you don't sacrifice an iota of your tier. Maybe you would also like it if others treated you with some kindness and don't ruin your view on purpose.

Edited by Marianne Little
typo
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

If you are on the mainland you can build to any height under 4096 as long as you don't intrude on the neighbors parcel.  If the the neighbors don't like it, sucks to be them.  They aren't paying your tier.

In addition to what Marianne mention about trying to be a decent human being, don't forget that this goes both way. They aren't paying your tier eitehr and there are a lot of things they can do that you won't like.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

There we go, someone had to pull the superhuman "I pay for mah land, I do whatevah I want, B*" card. Thank you for improving mankind and the smaller community with your mentality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2020 at 4:50 PM, AlettaMondragon said:

There we go, someone had to pull the superhuman "I pay for mah land, I do whatevah I want, B*" card. Thank you for improving mankind and the smaller community with your mentality.

Funny thing: Often those are the same who go absolutly bananas, if they end up being the one suffering from an inconsiderate neighbour.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.