Why are so many clothing items no-modify?

Majorino Topaz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes Randall, this is true!

In my personal experience its also a lot more work providing support for mod items.

Also if you allow others to modify your items, you can quickly lose your unique style in a sea of rapidly iterative reversioning by other people.

Although you will have beautiful dirivitive versions worked on by talented people...... you also end up with many many fugly broken versions of your things in world with your name remaining on the items as creator!

Then people take a look at who made all this ugly stuff and think ew :matte-motes-sick: I don't want anything this person makes.

Net result as merchant... you can lose business!

No-mod allows for control of your brand image and control of the functionality/aesthetics of your content.... a big plus!

Other merchants love to set their stuff mod as it allows everything you make to be openly collaborated on in a big fun communal mash-up pool. For something like clothing it can be the more friendly option providing your customers with more options... another big plus!

As you can see there is two possible paths for a merchant to take.... both with pros & cons.... So what is a merchant to do? Totally depends on their outlook, their values & what they enjoy :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

If you are looking around for modifiable clothes.... keep looking around, although their is lots of no-mod stuff, there is also plenty of modifiable goods out there.

--||-

Randall Ahren wrote:

Maybe it is because there is a script that can be dropped into a modify item that will clone the item so that others are then able to copy it and sell it as their own.

It's possible to copy the prims that way, certainly, but you can't read the uuids of sculptmaps or textures by script unless the item is full perms.    To my mind, that must make using llGetLinkPrimitiveParams a very unattractive tool for someone who wants to rip off content -- far easier to use a ripper client (or the regular viewer plus something installed on your PC alongside it), since that doesn't worry about perms at all.   

I take the point about creators not wanting people to start modding their items and making a hash of it, thus making them look bad, but, on the other hand, I like looking good, too, which means wearing stuff that fits, so I take a lot persuading to buy anything I can't modify. And I won't buy no-mod hair or clothes (as opposed to shoes and jewelry, sometimes) because there's no need to -- plenty of people sell very good quality items you can adjust.

Because many creators are paranoid :matte-motes-angry:

Sure.. there are things you don't need to adjust. But when it comes to clothing then it's almost always: no mod = no sale for me because resizing never does it. I need more control because my avi has very likely not the same proportions as the creator's avi.

The argument that it looks bad if I adjust something myself is not valid: If I wear a skirt that goes half through my hips or if I can only resize it, it has a huge gap at the front or back then it looks like sh!t too. If I can adjust it myself, it will without exception look better than when I resize it only.

So creators who make clothing without mod-rights... just say: "I'm paranoid and I don't want you as customer, please go to someone that is less paranoid than me and buy what you want there". I do so anyway.

Two reasons, IMO:

1. Creators believe mod makes their items easy to copy and no mod prevents copying (wrong)

2. Creators believe no mod means less support calls - possibly true

Me, I won't buy no mod unless there's a very good reason for it, or there's no alternative similar product and it's too time consuming for me to just make the damn thing myself.

Because some creators are just plain dumb and cocky. They are paranoid and think that by frustrating their customers they will deter copybotters, when in reality the copybotters will still steal their stuff if they want to. The reality is that avatars come in all shapes and sizes, so from a business standpoint it is ignorant to limit your market by allowing only certain shaped avatars to purchase your product. 

My basic philosophy on copymod is that if you don't allow permissions, you're not only not stopping dishonest people from getting what they want, but also putting them in a better competitive position by enabling them to exploit the trust of honest people.

i would assume one of the reasons is perhaps a personal script inserted in an item which the creator does not want to share, or does not want someone else to modify their items in any way (ie shapes, colors..) so that they can resold by them as their own, thereby ripping off the original creator, which does happen in SL unfortunately.

aside from that, i do not know.

what gets me are items that are non-transferable...i stopped buying anything that has this as a option. if i buy something, and decide i do not want it (for whatever reason) and decide to give it someone else, i should be able to, knowing full well that (if no copy) i can lose it from my inventory.

Sorry Wade, I don't get your point about losing you unique style...

If I have a no mod skirt that doesn's fit my av and my hips are sticking out, that's not good for the creator either it seems to me?

people take a look at my ill fitting skirt and wouldn't want to buy it...

I do understand that creators want to protect their stuff from being copied.

I'd recommend not buying any clothing item that is no-mod. Or anything else that is no-mod for that matter.

Why do people make no-mod items? Mostly fear of having their items ripped off combined with a lack of knowledge about how "content theft" in SL works. No-mod won't stop the most popular methods of ripping content. Copybot won't even blink at a no-mod item. Press a button, it's copied. So, like mopst so-called "IP protection" techniques, all it does is hurt the legitimate customers.

Here's some problems you run into with a no-mod attachments.

1) Poorly scripted re-size systems will lag an entire sim. Making the object no-mod prevents people from removing the bad scripts.

2) Re-size scripts are painfully limited and ill-suited to adjusting an attachment to fit your unique shape. Most content creator's avatars are poorly made, with awful proportions, as a result a no-mod attachment made by them will likely only fit an avatar with similarly poor proportions.Stretched out, anorexic legs are a common example. Just try to fit a no-mod boot with re-size scripts to a properly proportioned leg. Can't do it.

3) No-mod prevents basic modding. Want to wear a hat with your prim hair? Sorry, you can't without your hair clipping right through the hat. Want to retexture that awesome military vest you picked up to work with your SL military group? Sorry, no-mod. You're stuck with bright pink and purple polka-dots.

4) No-mod prevents you from correcting the creator's mistakes. Creator left a few prims fullbright, so they stick out like a sore thumb in a dark sim? Sorry, you're stuck with it unless the creator is nice enough to fix it and send you a copy.

Not to mention nearly all furniture in SL is too large, too prim-heavy, and generally needs slight colour adjustments to properly fit a given environment. If you have even a bit of building know-how you can often reduce overly prim-heavy furniture by half or more, but not if it's no-mod.

Really, aside from scripts and closed combat/game systems there's really no reason anything should ever be sold as no-mod.

On the up side, there are plenty of content creators out there who realize all this and provide high quality copy/mod content. The SL Marketplace even allowsx you to omit search results based on what permissions are set. So you can have it only display moddable content.

Penny Patton wrote:

Most content creator's avatars are poorly made, with awful proportions, as a result a no-mod attachment made by them will likely only fit an avatar with similarly poor proportions.Stretched out, anorexic legs are a common example. Just try to fit a no-mod boot with re-size scripts to a properly proportioned leg. Can't do it.

This^^

My USA flag item is no-mod, and my height stick is no mod.

- I don't want the one getting marked up improperly, and the other won't be accurate if stretched.

I also have a free to copy cross on some of my lots that is no mod for the same reason as the flag. The first time I saw a cross in SL, the person who'd rezzed it had marked it up with all kinds of anti-religious hate speach. I don't want that done with one that has my name on it. Sure people could take any other mod prim out there that I've rezzed and given out and do it, but I don't want to make it trivial for just anyone to do with the object I rezzed to actually be a cross.

But for clothing it makes no sense to me for it to be no-mod. I prefer the clothing I buy to be copy/mod/no-trans. But I will settle for no-copy/mod/trans. If I end up with a no-mod item, it tends to linger in the back corner of my inventory mostly unused.

• 2 weeks later...

Repeat this mantra for prim clothing and accessories, "No Modify equals No Buy!"

That's right, if it cannot be modified, don't buy it.  Why?  Because if an Item cannot be sized to fit your Avi it is useless. 

Resize scripts can help but they often fail to resize properly and the scripts lag you and everyone around you.  Sure, once sized via script, you can delete the scripts but know this:  Often, not all the scripts are actually removed still making lag.  Also, God help you if you ever resize your avi after deleting the script...you are out of luck unless the item is copy.  Thus, if a scripted item is copy, ALWAYS make copies before messing with the scripts or deleting them.

No Copy is often a deal breaker and is a 100% deal breaker if the item is no mod too.

Many content creators make things no mod because they don't want you changing "Their precious design."  I say bullocks to that, for once I pay good money for it it is mine to do with it as I please (as long as I don't try to resell).  Imagine if RL had rules like this in that you could never repaint your car, or add a patch to your clothing or turn old jeans into cut-offs?  This is exactly what many content creators think the way it should be.  This is simply arogance paired up with insecurity.

Remeber, it is your money.  Once you buy it, it is your item.  Unless you actually enjoy being told what you can do with what you payed good money for, never buy a No Mod item.  Ever. 

If the vender doesn't list permissions, assume it is No Copy and No Cod until proven otherwise and don't buy it.  If the vender has a "Buy" option as opposed to a simple "Pay" option, you can view the individual items you are interested in and see their permissions and decide your purchase accordingly.  "Pay" options never list the individual contents, so never confirm such a transaction unless the item is listed Mod (and prefferably Copy).

If you get misled into buying an item listed as Mod and it turns out it isn't, ask for a refund.  If they refuse to refund or give you a mod version, AR  them for scamming, for deliberately misrepresenting and false advertising for profit is a scam.

I may be sounding very harsh towards merchants, but over the years I have lost more good $$Linden$$ to this issue than any other.

No Mod = No buy.  Pass it on.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.