The all-in-one Home Furnishings Topic!

Trinity Blakewell

I hesitated about featuring these birdhouses from Enaitch because they don't include the birds shown on the poster and the demo models (which are the 1 LI Blue ***** from now-defunct TLC), but if you do have small birds in your inventory and a tree or porch to hang them from, the 2 LI hanging ones are very attractive. (The standing birdhouse is 6 LI, and I see no reason why it should be so high.) Anyway, the fatpack of all colors and both types is on sale for $65.

The fatpack of 1 LI wall panels in neutral colors is $75.

Heh. SL doesn't appreciate the actual name of small British birds: Blue t*ts, and probably Great t*ts, Long-tailed t*ts, Coal t*ts... all of which I have in my real garden.

enaitch1.jpg

enaitch2.jpg

Edited by Frigga Freidman
  • Like 6

Among several other items, Fantasy Illumination has put its ivy arch back on sale for $75. I recommend this - not only is it lower LI than the ivy that comes in the Log Home content pack (each half of the arch is 1 LI, but linking both it stays at 1 LI), but its LOD is excellent - I've shrunk it down by at least 25% for use against my Newbrooke...

ivy1.jpg

ivy.jpg

ivy2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Merak has an attractive piece of kitchen storage/workspace (high, at 10 LI, excluding the decor, sold separately for $60 per color) on sale for $60, but with no matching cabinets or sink, it's not likely that it will fit into many kitchen designs. (I checked in the MP and there's nothing in a similar style from this store - if anyone knows anything to the contrary, let us know!) Anyway, worth mentioning just in case anyone could use a piece like this.

merak.jpg

• Like 5

Caboodle has these cute strawberry lamps for Happy Weekend. $60L for each color. The shade colors can be changed via HUD. But no lighting function.

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Caboodle/53/143/26

Strawberry Lamps for 60L Happy Weekend Sale

Though the ad states it's 1LI, it's actually 2 LI when rezzed.  This can be fixed by finding the invisible root prim inside the metal pole and unlink it to reduce the LI to one.

image.thumb.png.5d1d347ebbc0974e5406cd6b8ce68f67.png

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 9

18 hours ago, Frigga Freidman said:

I hesitated about featuring these birdhouses from Enaitch because they don't include the birds shown on the poster and the demo models (which are the 1 LI Blue ***** from now-defunct TLC), but if you do have small birds in your inventory and a tree or porch to hang them from, the 2 LI hanging ones are very attractive. (The standing birdhouse is 6 LI, and I see no reason why it should be so high.) Anyway, the fatpack of all colors and both types is on sale for $65.

The fatpack of 1 LI wall panels in neutral colors is $75.

Heh. SL doesn't appreciate the actual name of small British birds: Blue t*ts, and probably Great t*ts, Long-tailed t*ts, Coal t*ts... all of which I have in my real garden.

enaitch1.jpg

enaitch2.jpg

I 100% agree that the ad is misleading. But for those who want a bird, │T│L│C│Animals is still on the marketplace.

Their song bird collections have awesome reviews.

It looks like the whole store, or at least a lot, is on the marketplace. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/124076

Pay attention to land impact. Some things are higher Li.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I 100% agree that the ad is misleading. But for those who want a bird, │T│L│C│Animals is still on the marketplace.

Their song bird collections have awesome reviews.

It looks like the whole store, or at least a lot, is on the marketplace. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/124076

Pay attention to land impact. Some things are higher Li.

Also see @Persephone Emerald’s comment in the Perfect Pets thread with links to two still-free small birds on the MP: 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Secret Sale until 11:59pm Monday SLT at Petite Mort - the Zingara set sold as a fatpack for $249 (does not include the plants or the rug, which is actually quite nice), or buy the 10 LI sofa with 6 LI canopy for $99, the 1 LI (working) lanterns for $50. (The pottery tables have poor LODs, and I've seen  pouffes I prefer elsewhere.) Looks like PG only.

petitemort.jpg

petitemort2.jpg

• Like 4

Secret Sale at THS: The Home Store which is worth checking out:

The corner water garden is 5 LI, $50. The corner arbor bench is 8 LI, PG, $99. The rose arch is 5 LI, $50. the tbleand chair set is PG, $99. The tree and rocks scene is 8 LI with excellent LODs. And the Asian corner with dragon fountain, animated water and birds (both with sound) is 10 LI, $99.

ths1.jpg

ths2.jpg

ths3.jpg

ths4.jpg

ths5.jpg

ths6.jpg

• Like 7

Incidentally, we should keep in mind that what we're seeing on weekend sales nowadays is rarely original mesh; it's full perm stuff that is sometimes retextured and often not, with very common anims linked to it.  So don't be surprised if some of it looks familiar from other stores.   You can tell who actually made the item by looking who the creator is when you edit linked parts.  The store owner will usually link the full-perm model to a generic anim plate (root prim) that the store owner made, or sometimes just a tiny cube, so that it looks to a casual buyer like they made it.

(The same is true for a lot of clothing in the sales; which is why store owners began putting a script in clothing so that clothing deletes itself when you rez it.  You can just turn scripts off on your parcel to defeat that, if you really want to see who actually made a dress or something).

I find THS particularly striking in their obvious full perm usage - for example, the tree and rocks scene is all from Reid Parkin, as is. In fact, I'm quite sure that bush with purple flowers was in an old freebie pack of his.  Reality Designs is another favorite source for THS, and frankly, I'm not at all sure where those models ultimately come from.

I bought the couch from Petite Mort, which is a very nice texturing of a full-perm model from one of my favorite full-perm creators, Joolee Tee.  Last time I checked she was no longer making new products.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Incidentally, we should keep in mind that what we're seeing on weekend sales nowadays is rarely original mesh; it's full perm stuff that is sometimes retextured and often not, with very common anims linked to it.  So don't be surprised if some of it looks familiar from other stores.   You can tell who actually made the item by looking who the creator is when you edit linked parts.  The store owner will usually link the full-perm model to a generic anim plate (root prim) that the store owner made, or sometimes just a tiny cube, so that it looks to a casual buyer like they made it.

(The same is true for a lot of clothing in the sales; which is why store owners began putting a script in clothing so that clothing deletes itself when you rez it.  You can just turn scripts off on your parcel to defeat that, if you really want to see who actually made a dress or something).

I find THS particularly striking in their obvious full perm usage - for example, the tree and rocks scene is all from Reid Parkin, as is. In fact, I'm quite sure that bush with purple flowers was in an old freebie pack of his.  Reality Designs is another favorite source for THS, and frankly, I'm not at all sure where those models ultimately come from.

I bought the couch from Petite Mort, which is a very nice texturing of a full-perm model from one of my favorite full-perm creators, Joolee Tee.  Last time I checked she was no longer making new products.

Thank you for the information. I bought the Tree and Rock scene from THS and unlinked the pieces.  The three plants are identified as being from Reid Parkin. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Incidentally, we should keep in mind that what we're seeing on weekend sales nowadays is rarely original mesh; it's full perm stuff that is sometimes retextured and often not, with very common anims linked to it. 

From a consumer’s POV, I’m not sure I understand the need to make a distinction between original and full perm mesh. Is the latter some sort of legal or ethical infringement of a creator’s work?  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Frigga Freidman said:

From a consumer’s POV, I’m not sure I understand the need to make a distinction between original and full perm mesh. Is the latter some sort of legal or ethical infringement of a creator’s work?  

If you stick to each full perm creator's terms of use, (usually very clear), then that is what the full perm creations are for - resale - but always within the creator terms. Usually the terms of use mean that you must make something new with the meshes such as take them apart to build new things, link them together with other things and texture them in an original way so that they are suitably different from the original. 

• Like 2

...any seasoned buyer of full perm meshes will recognise meshes used by other creators depending on how they have been utilised into a new product. As an example - the terms and conditions on one of the simple rug meshes that I use from another creator are very open and flexible I can even use it as a free item which is not as common a term with most creators. On my part I create textures by creating seamless fabrics in photoshop and then adding patterns using stamp brushes that I make myself using out of copyright images from The British Library or similar and mix together to create new patterns. Sometimes I will buy commercial textures and then use those in the same way.  I base the price on the work I've done to make a new product and the price of the original mesh.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chloe Bunny said:

If you stick to each full perm creator's terms of use, (usually very clear), then that is what the full perm creations are for - resale - but always within the creator terms. Usually the terms of use mean that you must make something new with the meshes such as take them apart to build new things, link them together with other things and texture them in an original way so that they are suitably different from the original. 

Then as long as the terms are being adhered to it should make no difference to consumers if the appearance/price of an item appeals to them. My confusion stems from @Nika Talaj’s use of the phrase “we should keep in mind…” 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Frigga Freidman said:

Then as long as the terms are being adhered to it should make no difference to consumers if the appearance/price of an item appeals to them. My confusion stems from @Nika Talaj’s use of the phrase “we should keep in mind…” 

I buy anything I like the look of regardless of price original or not and I am very open about my use of full perm meshes so I would agree with you I guess the issue stems from either the grey area of "is it different enough from the original to adhere to the terms?" or not wanting to see the same meshes used over and over. There are some who will prefer original mesh for originality.  I know how long it takes for people to learn mesh and to continue to keep up with that. Some full perm mesh builds and re textures are so beautiful, (a lot of texturing work is time consuming), and people are willing to have those items regardless. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Frigga Freidman said:

Oh!  No, definitely not.  As Chloe said, the whole purpose of full perm items in SL is to facilitate creators using them as building blocks to make new products.  As consumers, we have to assume that merchants are doing so in accordance with the item license.

Beyond that, it's a matter of personal taste and scruples.  With most full perm sellers, I'm comfortable that they either made or bought the models they sell.  And many merchants, like Chloe, really put work into texturing and/or animating those models.  That's why I bought the couch from Petite Mort, I liked the textures, and I trust the fullperm seller that Petite Mort used.  OTOH, if I don't recognize a full perm item's creator when I buy an item I like, sometimes I visit the full perm seller's inworld shop.  If the shop has a noticeable variety of quality and build styles, and there are items that are often ripped from other games (high quality animals, for instance), alongside of furniture and statues and landscaping and prefabs and NPCs lol, I begin to wonder if the owner really made or bought all these miscellaneous models.  Particularly if the shop is just a slab in the sky.  But I wouldn't expect others to go to that length to research what they buy.

Personally, I don't buy full perm unless I need to, because good full perm items are usually significantly more expensive than buying the same item copy/mod from someone else.  For example, when I was landscaping a forested region in a seasonal estate, I bought some "filler" plants full perm.  They were sold with AO maps and a sample summer texture.  Then I created my own seasonal versions of the foliage in GIMP, and put together a crude HUD so that I could change the ferns, bushes, and grasses either locally or region-wide with a keystroke.  I even had fiddleheads that I made invisible when it wasn't spring :)  I had a lot of fun with it and the full-perm plants were definitely worth the price.

• Like 4

A thing about full perm mesh sold again, is that it is often not practical to link, so the total Li cost used goes down.

The seller add a prim with his/her name as creator. This is unneccesary 0.5 Li added to the object.

If the prim is invisible and hidden, it is easy to find and link off. It may not have the object's Li going down, but it can help in linking.

The obvious issue is when the prim is a shadow prim. Unlink it, and it looks different from all your other furniture/art who has shadows as a built in part.

A lovely frame that was bought full perm, and has a shadow prim linked to it, is 0.5 + 0.5 and one Li land impact. When linked to another similar frame, it is 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 = 2 Land impact and nothing to save on linking two frames.

Other frames that has the shadow as a part itself, is 0.5 Li but show as 1 one land impact when rezzed out. But link two of those frames, and it is 0.5 + 0. 5 = 1 Li. One has magicked away one land impact, as I call it.

Why care about one measly Li? Well, repeat it in the whole Linden Home, and it can be a big difference.

That is why I don't use full perm art with linked shadows in Linden Homes. Even if it can be very well made.

It is not just art, of course. Furniture and flowers too. 

Linked items can be very good for creativity, because you can edit it and use the different parts in new ways. But it is not good for the Li budget.

• Like 3

I just have to have a bit of a grumble about Cosmopolitan and the Hello Tuesday sales - now that the small shopping precinct with shopping carts is no more, all the links go to the landing point on the second floor of the Cosmopolitan mall. The Hello Tuesday sales are all on the level below, and the only way to get there is to fly into the middle of the atrium and then stop flying. Why? Why make it difficult for your potential customers to get to the products they'd like to buy? How difficult would it be to add a TP point here, where all the signs and info are located? 

A second grumble - with plenty of space in their kiosk on the ground floor, why doesn't Chez Moi provide demo models of their Hello Tuesday sale items? This is the last week I'll be featuring any Hello Tuesday items until these issues are addressed. (Yes, I've contacted the owners involved directly, but additional requests from those here might help get a result.)

So... today's sale from Chez Moi is this set of artist's decor, $50. The table on casters with all decor is 4 LI and the easel and stool are linked for 3 LI. Animation and painting options shown.

cosmo1.jpg

cosmo2.jpg

• Like 11

From Anthem https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Anthem/134/129/1107

I bought 2 things that I thought were decor. Instead they are meant to be worn. Tentacio: A game console with succulents growing in it. Creative. Why walk around and hold that? I rezzed it, it is 2 Li. Pretty on a table.

The bag from Plaaka is only 1 Li and is actually cute decor. But it is FULL BRIGHT and GLOW.... so I took off that, and it was tinted greybrown too. Probably to tone down the full bright?...

anthem_003.png.e73688c612078b588678711ff9544793.png

That's what happens when I am looking at small pictures on top of gift boxes. 😩 It is not so easy to see, and Seraphim does not post what the contents in the gift boxes are.

They are not gifts. They cost 50 L, Nutmeg's only 25 L. Well, I bought them, so you can see what it is.

Nutmeg always has good things, the bowl of apples and the plate stack is from them. Sadly 4 and 3 Li. Not very Linden Home friendly land impact. The two vases from Finca can be huge, you see the max size for 1 land impact to the right. They are one object, you can't use only one of the ceramic vases.

The lime bowl and the limenade plate is from Thor. 2 Li each. But a small bowl like that does not need high physics, set physics to "none" and Li drops to 1.

The incense holder and incense box from Midwest, nice made. The incense smoke is very realistic. 1 Li for the box, 2 Li for the holder.

anthem_004.thumb.png.39c1f73f9cc3b7933908148b4d5832f7.png

• Like 10