Avatar upper limit to attachments?

Cerebrogasm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

If you need more than 38, you're doing something wrong.

Hell, I'd say you're doing something wrong if you need more than 20.

It really does depend on what look you're going for. My usual outfits are all around 15-20 attachments, but fantasy, sci-fi, cyber/steampunk looks are different story. In case if attachments are mod and rigged, then they can be linked to save slots, but in many cases they are either unrigged or no mod, which makes linking not possible. To clarify why unrigged makes it impossible in a lot of cases: some attachments need specific attachments spots, like bracers need to be worn on arms to move right, cyber lenses on eyeballs and so on. Linking also makes it a lot more difficult to make little changes, which is a major downside. Can't say I had too many problems with hitting the 38 limit, though, aside of my experiments with neko looks back in the day.

Also worth to mention that some of "temporary attachments" (I don't mean actual temporary ones from avsitter, just ones that are meant to be worn for a bit) can make it complicated, too. For example some kinky toys sets are like 15+ attachments alone, which is not a problem if someone uses the usual ~20 attachments, but if someone already has more than that, then they would need to find things to detach.

30 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

It really does depend on what look you're going for. My usual outfits are all around 15-20 attachments, but fantasy, sci-fi, cyber/steampunk looks are different story. In case if attachments are mod and rigged, then they can be linked to save slots, but in many cases they are either unrigged or no mod, which makes linking not possible. To clarify why unrigged makes it impossible in a lot of cases: some attachments need specific attachments spots, like bracers need to be worn on arms to move right, cyber lenses on eyeballs and so on. Linking also makes it a lot more difficult to make little changes, which is a major downside. Can't say I had too many problems with hitting the 38 limit, though, aside of my experiments with neko looks back in the day.

Also worth to mention that some of "temporary attachments" (I don't mean actual temporary ones from avsitter, just ones that are meant to be worn for a bit) can make it complicated, too. For example some kinky toys sets are like 15+ attachments alone, which is not a problem if someone uses the usual ~20 attachments, but if someone already has more than that, then they would need to find things to detach.

I'll rephrase.

If you need more than 20 attachments, the creators you're buying from are doing something wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

I'll rephrase.

If you need more than 20 attachments, the creators you're buying from are doing something wrong.

not always

i like dermal jewellery

back: upper spine
back: shoulder blades
back: hips
back: lower spine

front: upper spine
front: shoulder blades
front: hips
front: lower spine
front: left breast
front: right breast
front: belly
front: lower belly

hands: left nails
hands: right nails
hands: left finger rings
hands: right finger rings
hands: left lower hand
hands: right lower hand
hands: left upper hand
hands: right upper hand

head: left eyebrow
head: right eyebrow
head: left upper cheek
head: right upper cheek
head: left jawbone
head: right jawbone
head: left nose
head: right nose
head: center nose
head: left upper lip
head: right upper lip
head: center upper lip
head: left lower lip
head: right lower lip
head: center lower lip
head: left upper ear
head: right upper ear
head: left lower ear
head: right lower ear

this is 39. And have yet to count neck, wrists, upper arms, lower arms, thighs, ankles for other jewellery. And then have to add body parts, hair, neko ears, neko tail, huds, clothes and shoes

as you suggest some jewellery comes in sets. Like nails for both hands, same other logically paired pieces. Can also get full facial and body sets as one object also. But we can't expect designers to create single objects that combine all the possible combinations that we all might want as it suits our individual needs/wants

more importantly tho with all the independent pieces, we can mix n match from different designers and need only wear what is visible after we put our clothes on. Like we don't need to wear upper shoulder blade dermals when is covered by our top for example 

so for myself, I could easy use 60 attachments and still not have enough for everything I want to do

• Like 3

On 8/14/2020 at 5:05 PM, Cerebrogasm said:

Has anyone reached about 38 avatar attachments to where the ADD is dimmed and no further attachments - body parts, HUs, clothing, jewelry, etc - can be attached unless you remove something already attached? 

Thanks!

yes many times.. its not hard to do really.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 6:05 PM, Cerebrogasm said:

Has anyone reached about 38 avatar attachments to where the ADD is dimmed and no further attachments - body parts, HUs, clothing, jewelry, etc - can be attached unless you remove something already attached? 

Thanks!

I keep the huds for things I wear in the favorite wearable folder.  Keeps them from cluttering up my screen, too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mollymews said:

as you suggest some jewellery comes in sets. Like nails for both hands, same other logically paired pieces. Can also get full facial and body sets as one object also. But we can't expect designers to create single objects that combine all the possible combinations that we all might want as it suits our individual needs/wants

more importantly tho with all the independent pieces, we can mix n match from different designers and need only wear what is visible after we put our clothes on. Like we don't need to wear upper shoulder blade dermals when is covered by our top for example 

so for myself, I could easy use 60 attachments and still not have enough for everything I want to do

What a fantastic argument for creators to leave things modifiable so you can mix-and-match to your heart's content and link things together to reduce the attachment count.

• Like 5

Thank you all for your comments to my question - the avatar I am building is fairly elaborate and not "inhabited" inworld - she is a prop for a graphic novel test - the more I can do "on the set" (in SL, a lot like actual RL studio shoots) - the less time I have to make doing graphical error corrections or design add-ons externally. - James

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.