RL Meeting Would Be Very Confusing

SandorWren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1510 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've met a few of my SL Friends in RL.  Yes, there is an initial moment of confused perception but after speaking for a while that faded away and I knew them to be the same people as the avatars I'd known in SL. On the other hand I was terribly disappointed once upon voicing with someone because his voice was so different from the one I'd imagined him having.

• Like 2

I LoL'd about others here using SL names in RL meetings. The few times I've met someone in RL it *was* difficult to keep the two names straight.

I agree about not liking voice. There have been other posts about that, and at least in the GD Forum the majority of posters also preferred text, but as we know, Forumites are a small percentage of people of SL. I mostly use voice to either listen to (and still type my responses) in formal group discussions that are in voice. My favorite reality jolt was when this just stereotypical SL baby girl sub, in pink, with pigtails, lollipop and all, spoke and while she was female, zomg, her voice was like 10 miles of bad road! She must have been a smoker since the age of 6, sounded 80, and had a heavy Brooklyn accent. :) (Think Marge Simpson's sisters.)

I hate my own voice, so I really don't like to talk in SL.  I have found a few people with absolutely DELIGHTFUL voices, often with accents. Some of the male variety have left me quite weak in the knees. :) Imagine my absolute surprise when someone told me MY awful voice is sexy! I'm a contralto, so that might give you a  clue. But it is easier for me to immerse in text

I REALLY REALLY REALLY dislike RL pictures on the avatar profile. Enough so that I will probably not engage with that person. I realize that is their right, and there's nothing wrong with it, but for me it just squicks me out.

I had a disastrous SL to RL meeting (literally a psychopath), so no more of that for me.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

I had a disastrous SL to RL meeting (literally a psychopath), so no more of that for me.

...meets her SL date in RL.

4ca84126ffef3a8a8b4ceca093269fdb.gif

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

I hate my own voice, so I really don't like to talk in SL.

Yes i can understand that, I used to have an SL friend who was sexy looking in RL etc until one day she spoke and she did have some vocal cords issues.. lets just say it is a turn off if you are not emotionally connected with a person. Still though i didn't mind treating her as a friend.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

Yes i can understand that, I used to have an SL friend who was sexy looking in RL etc until one day she spoke and she did have some vocal cords issues.. lets just say it is a turn off if you are not emotionally connected with a person. Still though i didn't mind treating her as a friend.

Just a point of clarification... even though I dislike my own voice it isn't THAT bad. I've never had anyone suddenly back away when I open my mouth and speak (ok, well, not including when I've eaten a lot of garlic). I've had people say unique (polite word for weird), my bff says it is pleasant enough but isn't one that would turn him on, fair enough, his nice voice doesn't turn me on either! nyah! :) 

The reason I dislike my voice is that it is a contralto (which in singing terms is a very low, nearly masculine, voice and sadly I cannot sing). Think Judy Garland or Amy Winehouse. I found this on youtube, and around 3:51 where she talks, that's close to me except I don't speak Russian. :) 

19 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I found this on youtube, and around 3:51 where she talks, that's close to me except I don't speak Russian. :) 

OMG are you kidding! I have always loved such voices, I grew up really liking Amanda Lear. Deep female voices have always given me the chills, of the good kind mind you!
I understand that some would call it (near) masculine and yes, it is unique, but in the sense of "distinguishable" and "recognisable".
Seriously, you have no idea how much I enjoy warm female voices!!!!

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2020 at 12:36 AM, Rolig Loon said:

I agree.  In fact, I feel the same way about hearing a person's RL voice.  I have a mental image of each person I meet in SL.  My mind fills in characteristics that the person's avatar appearance does not provide, much the same way that my mind fills in characteristics of characters in novels i read.  I "know" what each person sounds like, and it's terribly jarring to hear a completely different voice than the one my mind created for someone.  It's like suddenly learning that Snow White's voice really sounds like Donald Duck.  For that reason, I avoid ever using Voice in SL unless I have absolutely no choice, and I have been fortunate to have no close friends who use it.  I don't care to know what my SL friends look like in RL either, and I won't share my image with them.

Some years ago, my job entailed lots of phone calls to other locations of my company. I had daily contact with three people in one distant office, and one person in another office. Over months of contact we built up an amazing rapport. Eventually the three came over for a team meeting and I met them at the railway station. The experience was quite difficult. Obviously they looked nothing like my brains construct, but we found that face to face, the dynamic was different. We never did that again.

Later , I visited the single person for a meeting. She was much older than I imagined, but what might be described by some as a cougar, and a lovely person. With her, our dynamic was unchanged face to face.

So you never know. Had she been closer we might have become good friends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick0678 said:

OK got it, it's not the sensual type of course

Ok, pookie, guess we know who isn't going to do steamy dirty talk in your ear, or while moaning out with back arched and hands clutching... pppppht. Kathleen Turner's voice, not sensual eh? :p

Capture.JPG

Edited by Seicher Rae

3 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

OMG are you kidding! I have always loved such voices, I grew up really liking Amanda Lear. Deep female voices have always given me the chills, of the good kind mind you!
I understand that some would call it (near) masculine and yes, it is unique, but in the sense of "distinguishable" and "recognisable".
Seriously, you have no idea how much I enjoy warm female voices!!!!

While "pookie" above might not get teh sexy talk in his ears... mrawrs in yours. :)

I get a lot of "may I help you, Sir?"s when ordering food through a drive-thru, and confused looks when I pull up. :) But that is generally the only time, on lousy fast food speakers/mics. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Ok, pookie, guess we know who isn't going to do steamy dirty talk in your ear, or while moaning out with back arched and hands clutching... pppppht. Kathleen Turner's voice, not sensual eh? 😛

Jessica Rabbit.. Are you trying to ruin my childhood memories? I was 10 when that movie came out and thinking of her sexually wasn't actually what i had in mind as a kid!

Ok now seriously Kathleen was ok but definitely not my type so regardless of her voice it wouldn't work.

43 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Jessica Rabbit.. Are you trying to ruin my childhood memories? I was 10 when that movie came out and thinking of her sexually wasn't actually what i had in mind as a kid!

Ok now seriously Kathleen was ok but definitely not my type so regardless of her voice it wouldn't work.

I'm sure Kathleen is terribly broken up by that...  [sarcasm font]

Just now, Seicher Rae said:

I'm sure Kathleen is terribly broken up by that...  [sarcasm font]

I know really,  anyway i was 10 when she was sexy so i wouldn't be the right partner for her..

Now that i am 42 she is 66 and i think she has more serious things to worry about these days like rheumatoid arthritis. Hope she is doing well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

While "pookie" above might not get teh sexy talk in his ears... mrawrs in yours. :)

I get a lot of "may I help you, Sir?"s when ordering food through a drive-thru, and confused looks when I pull up. :) But that is generally the only time, on lousy fast food speakers/mics. 

I see a wonderful opportunity to mess with people and have fun doing it and setting them up.
BTW, I have mistaken some male voices for female ones in the past myself, mostly singing voices (Divine, Boy George and more) and it made me feel rather silly for making such assumptions.

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1510 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.