CATWA Free Head Scam

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Avatars with catwa in their names are going into regions and sending people something that's labelled as a free Catwa head. Old scam with a new wrapper. I guess they saw Catwa offering a real free head and thought this was their moment. (For anyone new, don't accept or wear random objects sent to you like that. Only accept objects from people you know and trust.)

The link has an extra . at the end. If you remove that you can see the screenshot, but a number of groups have been discussing this.

Edited by Polenth Yue
  • Like 1

To be clear:

If you rez or wear a product and it produces this message:

debit2.jpg.3136b584a07ee7654e8d8f16dc0c6c36.jpg

DO NOT CLICK ALLOW ACCESS!

(There are a few exceptions to that rule.  Some game machines, tip jars, rental box and vendor systems require this access.  But if someone gives you a thing, and you see this message when you are not expecting it, DON'T click "Allow"!)

• Like 2

Scams like these happen fairly regularly, and generally targets larger brands - such as Catwa. Whilst I'm not following them in any social media or in-world groups, Skell mentioned it here on the forums earlier.

Never ever click 'Allow Access' unless you are confident that the source of the request is from a party you trust.

Catwa CSR and manager here. The only free gift mesh head that Catwa has is the 'Freya' one that is available on Marketplace until 24th May. Any other 'free gift' or 'free update' is a scam.

This always happens when a long weekend is coming up in the States (this time around it's Memorial Day). We end up spending the entire time we're logged in throughout the weekend and the days leading up to it with hundreds of people coming into chat to warn us of the same names or to ask us if that unmissable free offer given to them by a day-old account is really a free gift from Catwa. O.o So we end up sending out a "WARNING!" group notice for each new name (then we sometimes get people yelling at us in chat for doing that, which... yeah; that one's still beyond me. Sorry that we're trying to protect you, I guess?) and we have copy/pastes ready for each new name (for which we sometimes get people yelling at us in chat for constantly repeating ourselves every two minutes when someone new comes in to warn everyone or asks if the 'gift' is legit).

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 🤷‍♂️

This time around, though, it's particularly nasty because we were informed that one of the two names used thus far has a 'busy' message set, which actually handwaves away that huge yellow debit warning posted upthread by Lindal:

[15:08] [REDACTED]: (busy response): Hey, we are sending our items to some players, we just wanna your feedback! Don't worry about the warning in your screen, it's just a way to unbox the item in "no-script" lands! More info visit: http://www.catwa-clip.com/

I sent in an AR about it initially, but the account remained in search. As soon as I was made aware of that busy message I sent in another AR mentioning that, and the account was gone within 3 minutes. I also always put a public notice on the scammer's my.secondlife.com profile to warn people, before I send the AR.

I'll repeat my usual copy/paste here, so if you see those warnings going out in group please feel free to copy the following and state that it comes directly from a Catwa CSR and Manager:

For her customers' security Catwa doesn't send any updates out automatically. You have to manually update at one of the store's redelivery terminals. (You can bookmark the webpage to save you from having to visit the store each time.) Any gifts must be collected in person from the store. If in any doubt, always check the profile of the person who gave you the item. Chances are it's a one day-old throwaway account. CATWA CLIP (catwa.clip) is the owner of Catwa store.

Edited by Skell Dagger
Typo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7

Skell, is the link to the catwa-clip website in the scammer's busy response message legit?  It sure looks to be an "official" web site, even though it calls itself the "Catwa Store" and we all know that independent websites cannot sell Second Life virtual goods.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Lindal: yes, they're using the legitimate website URL. And we've just had our third scammer in two days, using another variant on Catwa's name. This one even had the gall to pop up and say "hihi" in group chat >:(

I was in the chat when that happened. I couldn't believe the gall. They are out in force. I just try and warn as much as possible and LL need to ban quicker. They must be getting some and cleaning them out, otherwise they wouldn't keep coming back. 

I hate scammers. 

The LeLutka group is more or less flooded by folks asking whether the "gift" is legit or not.

It's the same routine as with Catwa. "Just ignore the big warning, this is harmless. This is the official bot, here's our website to prove it..."

I do find it quite intriguing that there are really folks insisting that th scam acount must be official, because their profile points to the website - because, well, apparently that's the no. 1 verification, let those moderators explain whatever they want. 

Or: "My L$ are gone! I'm quitting your group!" ... k, bye!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.