Pink objects

TannerSUNDAY

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,

Do you know how can be solved the issue with the pink objects?

Some of the items are recolored to pink, even body parts like hair, some add ons menu too, but no visible icons, only pink color.

I use Firestorm browser. Before I used Second Life Viewer, but now it won´t open. Installing works fine, but then the browser don´t start.

I don´t know if it´s because of Windows7 I am using.

Something about my PC:

AMD Phenom(tm) II X 4 840 Processor (4 CPUs), 3.2GHz

4096MB RAM

Graphic card: AMD 760G

I know it´s old and not suitable for using this, but it worked without this pink issue, so I like to know if you think it can be solved without 

changing PC or Windows version.

Thank you

38 minutes ago, TannerSUNDAY said:

Hi,

Do you know how can be solved the issue with the pink objects?

Some of the items are recolored to pink, even body parts like hair, some add ons menu too, but no visible icons, only pink color.

I use Firestorm browser. Before I used Second Life Viewer, but now it won´t open. Installing works fine, but then the browser don´t start.

I don´t know if it´s because of Windows7 I am using.

Something about my PC:

AMD Phenom(tm) II X 4 840 Processor (4 CPUs), 3.2GHz

4096MB RAM

Graphic card: AMD 760G

I know it´s old and not suitable for using this, but it worked without this pink issue, so I like to know if you think it can be solved without 

changing PC or Windows version.

Thank you

My guess is that what you are seeing is Jelly Dolls.  This happens when an avatar's rendering complexity is higher than the setting in your Preferences, under Graphics.  

You can manually increase the value -- it was probably either set to some default based on your graphics card and computer specs, or you accidentally lowered it.  Warning - Do NOT set it 'unlimited' as that can allow a griefer to crash you via graphics.

Having some folks around you rendered as Jelly Dolls is not necessarily a bad thing.  Rendering everyone around you, even the super complex ones, puts a huge strain on your computer.

EDIT -- In re-reading, it sounds like you might have accidentally enabled Show Transparencies. That will show all transparent objects as a light see through red.  Look under the Advanced or Developer menus. I don't remember the keyboard short-cut off the top of my head.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

Thank you kindly for your advice.

I tried some changes, but no effect. The problem is I do not understand technical specifications so I am not so sure what I am doing when I try to set some of the preferences.

Can you be please more specific? I mean what should I change and where to find it.

What is important to me is to at least the avatar is visible without the pink problem and then I can use menu by add ons with icons I can see, because now

there is only pink panel there and I can not use it.

55 minutes ago, TannerSUNDAY said:

Thank you kindly for your advice.

I tried some changes, but no effect. The problem is I do not understand technical specifications so I am not so sure what I am doing when I try to set some of the preferences.

Can you be please more specific? I mean what should I change and where to find it.

What is important to me is to at least the avatar is visible without the pink problem and then I can use menu by add ons with icons I can see, because now

there is only pink panel there and I can not use it.

Under the Advanced or Developer menu at the top of the viewer, in one of the sub-menus, there will be an option labeled Show Transparency (or something very much like that).  I'm thinking that is actually your problem -- that it is checked and you need to click it to uncheck it.

If you do not see the Advanced menu, open your Preferences and search for Advanced.  There is an option to check that will then show the Advanced menu.  I think the Developer menu is then an option near the bottom of the Advanced menu.  Trying to remember the specifics since I'm at work and cannot start up the viewer to verify.

Trying to find it, but don´t see it under Advanced or Developer. Can you please write me when you can log and look for it? You mentioned the graphic settings too. It would help maybe if you can write me what should I check or uncheck there.

I popped to the home computer for a minute.  Start the viewer and log in.  On the menu at the top, click Avatar and then Preferences.  In the window that opens, click the Advanced tab on the left side and then check the 2 boxes hilited in this pic:

image.png.f1ad379511db7f0bc2a94ac962c06470.png

Click OK to close the window.   On the top menu, select Advanced, then click Highlighting and Visibility.  Look to see if there is a check mark in front of 'Highlight Transparency':

image.png.7621090e0e5023ddc4823f836b76a820.png

If it is checked, click it to uncheck it.  That is the most likely cause of the pink stuff you are seeing.  

The graphics that I was talking about is probably not the reason for the pink you are seeing.  However, if you notice people looking like colored blobs, that is what I was talking about.  That is controlled by the Graphics tab in your Preferences window - specifically by the Maximum complexity value on the right side:

image.png.52a27c17c3c202e81433086939973df7.png

Any avatar whose rendering complexity is higher than that value will look like a colored blob.  Do NOT set it to the maximum.

Thank you for reply. It was not checked. I tried to lower some settings, but there are still the pink parts.

Second Life Viewer did not this, but I can not start it. Installation works OK, but the browser won´t work. Do you think it´s because the Windows7 is no longer supported?

30 minutes ago, TannerSUNDAY said:

Thank you for reply. It was not checked. I tried to lower some settings, but there are still the pink parts.

Second Life Viewer did not this, but I can not start it. Installation works OK, but the browser won´t work. Do you think it´s because the Windows7 is no longer supported?

Can you get a screen shot, so we have a better idea of what you are talking about?

• Like 1

What Lisa wrote is unchecked.

I would prefer to using Second Life Viewer because this issue was not there, but can not find info about if it´s possible to use it in Windows7. Officialy is not supported anymore, but when installation works well, I hoped it can start.

I don’t think Windows 7 is your problem, it’s the terrible graphics chip. It desperately needs to be replaced. It’s not like you need a monster video card to run SL, depending on what expansion your PC can take (slots and power supply connectors) you can get a decent one for SL for ten bucks, delivered.

19 minutes ago, TannerSUNDAY said:

What Lisa wrote is unchecked.

I would prefer to using Second Life Viewer because this issue was not there, but can not find info about if it´s possible to use it in Windows7. Officialy is not supported anymore, but when installation works well, I hoped it can start.

The SL viewer will work fine on Windows 7 - they just aren't testing new features of the viewer on Windows 7.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

25 minutes ago, TannerSUNDAY said:

But my viewer won´t start. It does not run.

What message does it give you?

Given your system specs, you might want to try one of the other 3rd party viewers.   Maybe Singularity or Catzip - definitely not Black Dragon because that is primarily for photography so it will want much better system specs.  I don't know much about the others.  Not on the list, but you can google it and it is safe - Cool VL Viewer.

26 minutes ago, TannerSUNDAY said:

OK, so Singularity, Catzip and Cool VL Viewer are other Second Life viewers you would recommend?

Since Kirstens says it has an empasis on visuals, my guess your system wouldn't like it.  I don't know anything about Kokua, but you could try that also, if you don't like any of those 3 mentioned before.

This type of problem is a texture issue in the video driver. Because you are using Win7 this can get really complicated.

The best you can do is search the Answers section of the form for your video chip/card. Look for the driver that is being recommended. The newest driver may not work on Win7. You might have to try different versions until you find one that works with your system and viewer.

One of the problems of dealing with an outdated, unsupported OS -- in this case, one that is not supported by either Microsoft or Linden Lab -- is that you can't get reliable information about what patchwork ideas might work and, as other have pointed out, manufacturers no longer provide drivers that are compatible with the dead hardware.  Unless you want to keep shooting in the dark and getting frustrated, you're best bet is to replace the graphics card or, since that's not likely to work well with your old machine, replace the whole thing.  Clearly that involves spending money, but it will end up costing you more in frustration and anxiety to keep putting off the inevitable.  Take a good look at your budget, evaluate your other priorities, and see whether a new machine is possible.  When you can afford it, shoot for the best machine that you can afford, realizing that it, too, will be obsolete some day. It costs more over the long haul to keep replacing mediocre machines every couple of years than to buy something that is likely to still be viable 5 or 7 years down the road.

Rolig's advice is good.  It's a bad idea to still be using Windows 7, and it's not just because things are pink in SL.  Windows 7 isn't supported by Microsoft any more, which means security holes are no longer being patched.  It's much easier to get a virus.

Time for a new computer.

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

What message does it give you?

Given your system specs, you might want to try one of the other 3rd party viewers.   Maybe Singularity or Catzip - definitely not Black Dragon because that is primarily for photography so it will want much better system specs.  I don't know much about the others.  Not on the list, but you can google it and it is safe - Cool VL Viewer.

Black Dragon does not need better hardware than the Linden Viewer (or any other Viewer for that matter) unless you enable extra graphical features not found there.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Thanks 1

Thank you guys for all your advices. For now, I can not solve this the way you suggested.

I tried other viewers. Only Singularity works and removes the pink issue, but most of avatars are not visible, I see only names and hair.

Can this be solved by some settings?

If someone of you use Singularity, are there the graphic settings like by other viewers?

I made some settings changes in previous browser trying to solve the pink issue. I am not sure if the graphic or advanced preferences are for Second Life

or for the specific browser you use. I mean the changes you made in settings affect only the browser you use or remain valid in any browser you try?

1 hour ago, TannerSUNDAY said:

Thank you guys for all your advices. For now, I can not solve this the way you suggested.

the pink issue is caused by the graphics driver. You may need to work backwards from your installed graphics driver until you find a previous driver version that eliminates the problem

a link here to the Firestorm website which details the fix for this problem

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/ati?s[]=pink#known_good_ati_driver

The OP is using integrated graphics unit of a motherboard (!). Not even a CPU with integrated graphics. It's a plain wonder that it somehow manages to run Windows at all, let alone SL.

That ancient relict is simply outdated as... well, you know. Closer to cave drawings on a stone wall than to modern rendering.

If even the OP cannot tell what they did before the official viewer stopped working, how are others supposed to guess?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.