Name Change Question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1558 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wasn't sure where to put this question, so I put it in General.  Sorry if it's in the wrong place.

A friend wants to change her name and was wondering if, when she changes it, if it updated her name on her friends lists or if she would have to re-friend everyone.  Also, I was looking in the knowledge base for her to see if that information was available already and I was wondering, is the information in the knowledge base up-to-date information?  or have there been changes?

Thank you

the official Linden advice is here, and yes it is up to date

on the specific question. Your friend's  new name will automatically update everywhere in SL, including on her friends list.  Linden advise that because of sub-systems caching it can take up to 24 hours for a new name to updated across all their systems, So just give it time to work all over

Edited by Mollymews
typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, FauxyLauxy said:

I wasn't sure where to put this question, so I put it in General.  Sorry if it's in the wrong place.

A friend wants to change her name and was wondering if, when she changes it, if it updated her name on her friends lists or if she would have to re-friend everyone.  Also, I was looking in the knowledge base for her to see if that information was available already and I was wondering, is the information in the knowledge base up-to-date information?  or have there been changes?

Thank you

It automatically updates the name on everyone's friends list and, based on my experience yesterday, it happens immediately. She won't have to re-friend anyone.

One thing I wasn't expecting though, it re-sets all your viewer settings to default (since these are stored locally on your PC under your username) so it's advisable to back those up before changing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

One thing I wasn't expecting though, it re-sets all your viewer settings to default (since these are stored locally on your PC under your username) so it's advisable to back those up before changing.

If you locate the folder in question just rename it from your_oldname to my_newname (obviously using the correct names) and you will be all good.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kaindrall said:

If you locate the folder in question just rename it from your_oldname to my_newname (obviously using the correct names) and you will be all good.

Yeah I found out about that trick yesterday, but by then I had already re-set everything back the way I wanted it.

52 minutes ago, belindacarson said:

Seems to delete anything you had in the "my note" section of someone's profile

Also deletes chat history when you open an IM.

I see that my name change has not happened here on the forums yet.

Edited by anniepany
added something

7 hours ago, Maitimo said:

4 hours ago, anniepany said:

It's not that it resets things or deletes anything.  It is just that all of the settings and chat logs have always been saved in a folder named with your username.  The name change process cannot rename those folders for you. So when you start up the viewer - any viewer - it does not find a folder with the name you are logging in with, so it creates one.

ETA:   @Oz Linden  - It would probably be very helpful if the Name Change page contained something like "Please review the FAQ before changing your name" and provided a link to it: https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000155068-changing-your-username-faq/#Section_12  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, belindacarson said:

Seems to delete anything you had in the "my note" section of someone's profile

That I would not have expected. I think I'd open a JIRA on that issue.  Unless that is one of the things that is within your local folder on your computer - will have to go check on that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It's not that it resets things or deletes anything.  It is just that all of the settings and chat logs have always been saved in a folder named with your username.  The name change process cannot rename those folders for you. So when you start up the viewer - any viewer - it does not find a folder with the name you are logging in with, so it creates one.

Thanks, Lil! So, I assume I can go in and change the name and it will change everything?

24 minutes ago, Annie Nova said:

Thanks, Lil! So, I assume I can go in and change the name and it will change everything?

What you now have on your computer is a set of folders under your old name and a set under your new name.  Since you probably don't want to lose the recent IMs either, I'd probably do the following.

- Log out of the viewer.

- Go to your AppData/Roamnig/viewer_name folder. There will be folders for your old name and your new name - and any alts that you've logged in.  You can copy the various chat and IM folders from your old name location to your new name location -- files named 'User_or_Group.txt'.  For any that already exist, either copy all of the content from the old file to the beginning of the new file - or copy all of the content of the newer file to the end of the older file and then replace the new with the updated old.

- You can also copy over some of the various settings files, but off the top of my head I don't remember which, if any, you should NOT copy over.  You should probably take a backup of anything that you plan to replace, just in case the copied file causes problems.

- There is also a general 'user_settings' folder located at the same level as the username folders.  I think you can copy that one over as is in order to restore all viewer settings -- again, back up the one that you are replacing in case of problems.

25 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Hmmm, I wonder what this will do for access lists. Could get messy.

Supposedly, the name changes will properly update in access lists - at least the LL ones associated with land.  Anything from a scripted object would depend on whether the scripts are using the UUID or the Username.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Supposedly, the name changes will properly update in access lists - at least the LL ones associated with land.  Anything from a scripted object would depend on whether the scripts are using the UUID or the Username.

I was thinking about script notecards and such (for access list for security bots and such). UUID based ones should, indeed, be fine, but I know at least several bots that use name-based access lists). So, ppl. make sure your security bots are name-change proof for when the change occurs. :) 

19 hours ago, Annie Nova said:

I see that my name change has not happened here on the forums yet.

What I mean is, when I block someone in world I would always stick a note in the "my notes" section as to why I'd blocked.  If those notes are deleted on name change it'll make it difficult to remember why someone was blocked etc.

1 hour ago, belindacarson said:

What I mean is, when I block someone in world I would always stick a note in the "my notes" section as to why I'd blocked.  If those notes are deleted on name change it'll make it difficult to remember why someone was blocked etc.

I just checked the profiles of some people I previously had notes on, and the notes are still there after my name change. So no, changing your name does not remove the notes.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I generally figure there's a statute of limitation on bans.  Every couple of years or so, I'll go into my land's ban list and clean it out.

I just can't hold a grudge longer than that.

For me, it's kinda the other way: I rarely ever ban, but if you make it on my list, you're there to stay.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1558 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.