My idea to save SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 4/6/2020 at 10:58 AM, FairreLilette said:

With the Vietnam War over, it also signaled the end of most protest music and it became more along the lines of "party music" until perhaps the group U2 revived protest music.

*coughs*

Excuuuuuuuse me?

The-Clash-London-Calling.jpg?quality=80

In addition to which, pretty much the entire punk movement, which got its inception in the late 70s?

And, if you're looking for smart social commentary, protest, and satire from the period, how about Patti Smith, Lou Reed, Iggy and the Stooges, etc., etc., etc.

The 70s actually created a new genre of "protest music" -- less "earnest" and "naive," smarter, more cynical, and (with apologies to @Dillon Levenque), often much more interesting and clever than that of the Vietnam era. It's the model for most protest music today.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

*coughs*

Excuuuuuuuse me?

The-Clash-London-Calling.jpg?quality=80

In addition to which, pretty much the entire punk movement, which got its inception in the late 70s?

And, if you're looking for smart social commentary, protest, and satire from the period, how about Patti Smith, Lou Reed, Iggy and the Stooges, etc., etc., etc.

The 70s actually created a new genre of "protest music" -- less "earnest" and "naive," smarter, more cynical, and (with apologies to @Dillon Levenque), often much more interesting and clever than that of the Vietnam era. It's the model for most protest music today.

I remembered "London Calling" and others after I mentioned U2.  My bad there.  

just wanted to add:  Bono was very inspired by Bob Dylan.  I started to listen to Bob Dylan because of my being a fan of U2 and Bono.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The 70s actually created a new genre of "protest music" -- less "earnest" and "naive," smarter, more cynical, and (with apologies to @Dillon Levenque), often much more interesting and clever than that of the Vietnam era. It's the model for most protest music today

Nah. True love isn't "naive". The hippies had it right.  This so-called clever stuff you tout is just angermasturbation.

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Must . . .resist . . . 

Oh f**k it.

Ok, boomer.

Well, you've both right, imo...lol.  The protest music was often more introspectively angry....maybe...in the late 70s/80s.   

But, Scylla, just you mentioning Lou Reed, Iggy Pop and Patti Smith.  My gawd, those were Bono's hereos.  We often got treated to Lou Reed's "Satellite of Love" at a U2 concert.   Bono...always talkin' bout Lou Reed.  These were rough times those 80's too.  I like Lou Reed with The Velvet Underground - one of my favorite bands but never have heard The Velvet Underground played in SL while "Pour Some Sugar on Me" has been played 800 trillion and counting times which makes me turn the music of SL off.  Too much of the same music played in SL.  

bono.jpg

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.