Starting out in SL land ownership

KasiaAleksa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there!

I have been without a home in the time I have used SL on and off, but now I am using it more seriously and would like to buy land to create my own home, which I would also use for parties.

My question is this:

What's the cheapest way for me to have the following:

1) Private land where I can make the entire landspace or at least the building invite-only.

2) Land including or near water (near a lake, river, sea or brook would be great, an island would be ideal but it seems like islands are always expensive? Are there also abandoned islands that are cheaper?)

So far the Premium Membership seems like the best deal seeing as you get a stipend as part of that membership. I'm not too fussed about having a customisable home, so the Linden Homes seem like a good option but it's unclear to me whether or not these homes have an entire block of private land. I'm also okay with the maximum capacity being around 120 which is what I think Linden Homes are?

It seems like a premium membership home is a relatively cheap option with no monthly maintanence fee for land ownership.

If you reply: Thank you so much for your help!

For those curious about my motivation, I feel like this current time is a great time to get more people interested in SL and is a major motivating factor/concurrent condition to my motivation to buy land in SL.

4 minutes ago, KasiaAleksa said:

Hi there!

I have been without a home in the time I have used SL on and off, but now I am using it more seriously and would like to buy land to create my own home, which I would also use for parties.

My question is this:

What's the cheapest way for me to have the following:

1) Private land where I can make the entire landspace or at least the building invite-only.

2) Land including or near water (near a lake, river, sea or brook would be great, an island would be ideal but it seems like islands are always expensive? Are there also abandoned islands that are cheaper?)

So far the Premium Membership seems like the best deal seeing as you get a stipend as part of that membership. I'm not too fussed about having a customisable home, so the Linden Homes seem like a good option but it's unclear to me whether or not these homes have an entire block of private land. I'm also okay with the maximum capacity being around 120 which is what I think Linden Homes are?

It seems like a premium membership home is a relatively cheap option with no monthly maintanence fee for land ownership.

If you reply: Thank you so much for your help!

For those curious about my motivation, I feel like this current time is a great time to get more people interested in SL and is a major motivating factor/concurrent condition to my motivation to buy land in SL.

The Linden Homes are (currently) 512 sqm or 1024 sqm plots with predefined houses on them - the 512 plots give you a choice of 8 Campers/Trailers and the 1024 plots give you a choice of 4 home/houseboat styles (currently within 3 Themes, but soon more).  You are allowed to put a skybox above 2000 meters though.

And you CANNOT prevent access to the entire parcel.  You can use a security orb to limit who can stay in parts of the parcel, but there are rules for the security orb -- primarily that you must give a certain amount of time warning before booting the person out and you can only boot them out of the parcel but not send them home.

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The Linden Homes are (currently) 512 sqm or 1024 sqm plots with predefined houses on them - the 512 plots give you a choice of 8 Campers/Trailers and the 1024 plots give you a choice of 4 home/houseboat styles (currently within 3 Themes, but soon more).  You are allowed to put a skybox above 2000 meters though.

And you CANNOT prevent access to the entire parcel.  You can use a security orb to limit who can stay in parts of the parcel, but there are rules for the security orb -- primarily that you must give a certain amount of time warning before booting the person out and you can only boot them out of the parcel but not send them home.

Super helpful! Thank you! Sent you a telepathic heart.

3 follow up questions, if you are okay with answering this oldie-newbie further :)

1) To be clear, I would be allowed to do the following:

I could have a home, where I could lock the building but anyone can go on the lawn.

I could then have a teleport within the home to a skybox 2000m above home.

And in the skybox I could make a club? And the club could be as big as the land plot?

And the entire skybox could have a security orb as long as it follows the rules?

2) What is the maximum capacity on private land of a Linden Home?

3) Can you buy small buildings from the marketplace and add them to your plot of land? Or can the only building be your plot of land + the Skybox?

6 minutes ago, KasiaAleksa said:

3 follow up questions, if you are okay with answering this oldie-newbie further :)

I could have a home, where I could lock the building but anyone can go on the lawn.

And in the skybox I could make a club? And the club could be as big as the land plot?

And the entire skybox could have a security orb as long as it follows the rules?

3) Can you buy small buildings from the marketplace and add them to your plot of land? Or can the only building be your plot of land + the Skybox?

You could "lock" the building but anyone could still TP inside and your security orb has to give a 20 or 30 second warning before booting them out.

You cannot have a club - you cannot have any commercial activity on the Linden Home plots.  Max capacity in SL is by Region and you have to share that with every plot on that region -- average of 20 or so homes per region and if you quite often have tons of people over, you will likely get into trouble.

You can buy buildings and add them to your land as long as they are above 2000m -- or less than 15m from ground/water level.  And your total LI for a 1024 plot is 351 -- 175 for the 512 sqm camper plots.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

Definitely get a premium account and buy mainland.  You can find good parcels that are not too expensive and not only can you put in any security you desire, you will not have slightly insane neighbors running around with meter sticks measuring the height of your trees. :)

Heh heh heh...true.  On the non-Linden Home Mainland, the insane neighbors run around putting statues of giant phalluses right next door to your home.

Hi, @KasiaAleksa!

You are quite right that a Premium membership and a Linden Home are good and inexpensive ways to have a home in SL.  There are some limitations to the rigor of security that you are allowed.  However, as on any land parcel you own (and many that you rent), you can not only have a security system that restricts physical access, you can also enable a Privacy feature that makes any people on your land invisible, and inaudible in Chat, to anyone outside your land.  They can tell you are THERE (you are still a dot on the map) but they can't see what you are doing.

There are eight or nine styles of Linden Homes available.  Not all styles are available all the time; you may have to check the Linden Home signup page often, to snag one of the more in-demand styles.  The four older styles are Modern, A-Frame, Japanese, and Fantasy.  These are all on 512 sq. m parcels and offer 175 prims.  The new styles are Traditional, Houseboat, Camper/Trailer, Victorian, and Log Home.  The Camper/Trailer styles are on 512 sq. m parcels; the others are on 1,024 sq. m parcels and offer 351 prims.  (I think.  On any land parcel, right click the ground and choose About Land to see what size the parcel is.)

If the restrictions of the Linden Home covenant don't appeal to you, you can find other Mainland parcels for sale and purchase one.  Here, you can own up to 1,024 sq. m. total (351 prims) without having to pay a monthly tier fee.

If you don't want to risk having wild, capricious, and tasteless neighbors, you can lease a parcel of land on a Private Estate.  For this, you don't need a Premium membership.  You'll pay the Estate Owner weekly or monthly, in $L.  When looking at Estate land, read the Covenant carefully to see what restrictions the Estate Owner has for her tenants.  Also, check About Land > Objects and look at "parcel land capacity".  This will tell you how many prims you're allowed.  Always check this, because there are a number of factors that can affect it.

On 3/27/2020 at 3:39 AM, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

Definitely get a premium account and buy mainland.  You can find good parcels that are not too expensive and not only can you put in any security you desire, you will not have slightly insane neighbors running around with meter sticks measuring the height of your trees. :)

Thanks for the reply! I'm feeling eased in to my next level of Second Lifing.

As Jewell pointed out, I can't host parties on premium land because ..

or wait...

I misunderstood maybe.

Are you saying that I should do the following:

1) Get Premium

2) Get a Linden Home with my Premium benefits

3) Buy additional mainland parcel on Mainland for the club I would like to make

I see!

So I will have a free linden home plus can buy a mainland parcel that is mine for as long as I have a Premium account?

By 'not too expensive' can you let me know a really rough estimate of what that is in L$/USD?

Thanks again !

On 3/27/2020 at 6:29 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Hi, @KasiaAleksa!

You are quite right that a Premium membership and a Linden Home are good and inexpensive ways to have a home in SL.  There are some limitations to the rigor of security that you are allowed.  However, as on any land parcel you own (and many that you rent), you can not only have a security system that restricts physical access, you can also enable a Privacy feature that makes any people on your land invisible, and inaudible in Chat, to anyone outside your land.  They can tell you are THERE (you are still a dot on the map) but they can't see what you are doing.

There are eight or nine styles of Linden Homes available.  Not all styles are available all the time; you may have to check the Linden Home signup page often, to snag one of the more in-demand styles.  The four older styles are Modern, A-Frame, Japanese, and Fantasy.  These are all on 512 sq. m parcels and offer 175 prims.  The new styles are Traditional, Houseboat, Camper/Trailer, Victorian, and Log Home.  The Camper/Trailer styles are on 512 sq. m parcels; the others are on 1,024 sq. m parcels and offer 351 prims.  (I think.  On any land parcel, right click the ground and choose About Land to see what size the parcel is.)

If the restrictions of the Linden Home covenant don't appeal to you, you can find other Mainland parcels for sale and purchase one.  Here, you can own up to 1,024 sq. m. total (351 prims) without having to pay a monthly tier fee.

If you don't want to risk having wild, capricious, and tasteless neighbors, you can lease a parcel of land on a Private Estate.  For this, you don't need a Premium membership.  You'll pay the Estate Owner weekly or monthly, in $L.  When looking at Estate land, read the Covenant carefully to see what restrictions the Estate Owner has for her tenants.  Also, check About Land > Objects and look at "parcel land capacity".  This will tell you how many prims you're allowed.  Always check this, because there are a number of factors that can affect it.

Hey love! Helpful information! Thank you for your kindness T_T

Can I ask where to find Mainland parcels to buy? I tried going via search engines but got very lost.

Can I ask what you would do in my situation with the following desires?

1) First priority: A creative hangout space where parties could take place for a low to midrange number of guests, where tipping DJs would be allowed.

2) Second priority: A private space for me to have as a small home.

What would be your move in this situation? Linden Home and buying parcel of land?

Thanks again!!

On 3/26/2020 at 6:27 PM, Parhelion Palou said:

Mainland (where you can buy parcels if you're premium) and Linden Homes regions have a 40 avatar limit. Private estates can be set higher. It's highly unlikely you'd ever get 100 people to a club. If you did nobody would be able to move anyway.

Super helpful!

From what I understand the Linden Home limit applies to me and my neighbours but with a parcel the 40 avatar limit is just for me?

❤️

12 minutes ago, KasiaAleksa said:

So I will have a free linden home plus can buy a mainland parcel that is mine for as long as I have a Premium account?

By 'not too expensive' can you let me know a really rough estimate of what that is in L$/USD?

If you don't want a Linden Home, then your Premium 1024 tier allowance can be used to offset the Mainland property.

Here is where you'll find the land tier fees --- for any amount of land used that is more than the Premium 1024 allowance:

https://secondlife.com/my/account/landfees.php

24 minutes ago, KasiaAleksa said:

Super helpful!

From what I understand the Linden Home limit applies to me and my neighbours but with a parcel the 40 avatar limit is just for me?

❤️

Avatar limits are per region, not per parcel. The 40 avatar limit on mainland is for the total number of avatars on all the parcels in the region.

25 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If you don't want a Linden Home, then your Premium 1024 tier allowance can be used to offset the Mainland property.

Here is where you'll find the land tier fees --- for any amount of land used that is more than the Premium 1024 allowance:

https://secondlife.com/my/account/landfees.php

Oh I see! So parcels on Mainland are included within the 1024 allowance if I don't get Linden Home! I see!!!

Thank you!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Avatar limits are per region, not per parcel. The 40 avatar limit on mainland is for the total number of avatars on all the parcels in the region.

Ah I see. But I should be able to host a party of max 20 people without a problem in this case? Or would that cause people in neighborinjg parcels within the region to get upset?

1 hour ago, KasiaAleksa said:

Can I ask where to find Mainland parcels to buy? I tried going via search engines but got very lost.

Can I ask what you would do in my situation with the following desires?

1) First priority: A creative hangout space where parties could take place for a low to midrange number of guests, where tipping DJs would be allowed.

2) Second priority: A private space for me to have as a small home.

There are two main tools to find Mainland for sale, the world Map and in-world Search.  On the Map, check the Land for Sale box in the legend.  Available parcels will be colored yellow, or purple for Auction parcels.  Search is useful, especially in conjunction with the Map.  CTRL+F brings up the Search window.  If you use the Firestorm viewer, also click the Websearch tab in the Search window.  In Websearch, click the Land and Rentals tab, then click "View All Land and Rentals".  A column on the left will then let you specify Mainland, For Sale, and the size and price range you're looking for.

Besides the above in-world tools, there's a land forum right here where people advertise, https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/286-parcels-for-sale-mainland/ and also a Real Estate category in the SL Marketplace.

A party of 20 people and a DJ says "club" to me!  I'd look for a parcel that is at least 4096 sq m, and if you can afford it, 8192 sq m.  Tier at these levels is $22 or $35 per month, respectively.  However, you can actually add some land to those amounts without increasing your tier.  You can add your tier-free 1024 Premium land bonus, making them 4096+1024 = 5,120 and 8192+1024 = 9,216.  In addition, if you buy the land for a group, you can get another 10% at the same tier level, or 5,632 and 10,128 sq m. respectively. 

You can place your personal skybox high up above the club.

I don't think other residents of the region would complain about occasional groups of up to 20 avatars at your club, unless they're traffic bots who live there all the time.  Most regions in SL have only two or three avatars in them even during busy times.

However, having said that...if this is your first time as a land owner, just 1) get a Premium membership, and 2) either get a Linden Home or buy a 1,024 sq m. parcel of Mainland.  Live there for at least a few months, while you learn about things like terraforming the land, building, landscaping, and using the land's settings for things like autoreturn, avatar access (or limiting access), environment settings (how the sky and water looks), and so on.  When you find that you need/want more space and more prims, then you can go on to get a larger land parcel and pay a monthly fee for it.  You can have some pretty nice parties in just a relatively small home. 

16 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

There are two main tools to find Mainland for sale, the world Map and in-world Search.  On the Map, check the Land for Sale box in the legend.  Available parcels will be colored yellow, or purple for Auction parcels.  Search is useful, especially in conjunction with the Map.  CTRL+F brings up the Search window.  If you use the Firestorm viewer, also click the Websearch tab in the Search window.  In Websearch, click the Land and Rentals tab, then click "View All Land and Rentals".  A column on the left will then let you specify Mainland, For Sale, and the size and price range you're looking for.

Besides the above in-world tools, there's a land forum right here where people advertise, https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/286-parcels-for-sale-mainland/ and also a Real Estate category in the SL Marketplace.

A party of 20 people and a DJ says "club" to me!  I'd look for a parcel that is at least 4096 sq m, and if you can afford it, 8192 sq m.  Tier at these levels is $22 or $35 per month, respectively.  However, you can actually add some land to those amounts without increasing your tier.  You can add your tier-free 1024 Premium land bonus, making them 4096+1024 = 5,120 and 8192+1024 = 9,216.  In addition, if you buy the land for a group, you can get another 10% at the same tier level, or 5,632 and 10,128 sq m. respectively. 

You can place your personal skybox high up above the club.

I don't think other residents of the region would complain about occasional groups of up to 20 avatars at your club, unless they're traffic bots who live there all the time.  Most regions in SL have only two or three avatars in them even during busy times.

However, having said that...if this is your first time as a land owner, just 1) get a Premium membership, and 2) either get a Linden Home or buy a 1,024 sq m. parcel of Mainland.  Live there for at least a few months, while you learn about things like terraforming the land, building, landscaping, and using the land's settings for things like autoreturn, avatar access (or limiting access), environment settings (how the sky and water looks), and so on.  When you find that you need/want more space and more prims, then you can go on to get a larger land parcel and pay a monthly fee for it.  You can have some pretty nice parties in just a relatively small home. 

Excellent advice!!! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ Thank you!!

On 3/26/2020 at 12:30 PM, KasiaAleksa said:

You could always try the Linden home first, see if it does all the things you want, and if it doesn't, find some mainland, look for an area that is settled already because one with abandoned land might change and be bought up by, say, a club that would take up all the avatar space on that sim so that you can't even fly home.

Don't be the club that occupies 4096 or even 512 and puts 40 avatars on that tiny space preventing every one else on the sim from even coming home -- or living in terrible lag if they do.

If you want a club, rent a homestead so that your crowding like that is not spilled over on to other people.

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2020 at 4:38 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

You could always try the Linden home first, see if it does all the things you want, and if it doesn't, find some mainland, look for an area that is settled already because one with abandoned land might change and be bought up by, say, a club that would take up all the avatar space on that sim so that you can't even fly home.

Don't be the club that occupies 4096 or even 512 and puts 40 avatars on that tiny space preventing every one else on the sim from even coming home -- or living in terrible lag if they do.

If you want a club, rent a homestead so that your crowding like that is not spilled over on to other people.

Yes! I want to be a respectful space. I don't think I would be having a lot of people, it would probably be small gatherings, but in case it does grow it might be worth getting a homestead.

I hope it's okay to ask, but after googling about Homesteads I'm a little confused. It seems I can't rent homesteads as part of a premium membership. Or can I rent a homestead with my premium land allowance?

Because I don't have much knowledge, I don't even know where to start with knowing what a good value homestead is... Something as good value as possible for small events of like up to 20 people.. I would appreciate a few signposts if you are willing to give some.

20 minutes ago, KasiaAleksa said:

I hope it's okay to ask, but after googling about Homesteads I'm a little confused. It seems I can't rent homesteads as part of a premium membership. Or can I rent a homestead with my premium land allowance?

You can rent a homestead from a private landlord, not LL directly. To own a homestead you must also own a full prim sim.

21 minutes ago, KasiaAleksa said:

Something as good value as possible for small events of like up to 20 people.. I would appreciate a few signposts if you are willing to give some.

Homesteads have an avatar limit of 20 people, do keep that in mind.

I personally would rent a 8192sqm or so from a private estate that allows such a social parcel, it's the best bang for your buck. If you value your privacy then homstead it is.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 12:15 PM, Syn Anatine said:

You can rent a homestead from a private landlord, not LL directly. To own a homestead you must also own a full prim sim.

Homesteads have an avatar limit of 20 people, do keep that in mind.

I personally would rent a 8192sqm or so from a private estate that allows such a social parcel, it's the best bang for your buck. If you value your privacy then homstead it is.

Thanks for the advice! :))

On 4/6/2020 at 10:52 PM, KasiaAleksa said:

Yes! I want to be a respectful space. I don't think I would be having a lot of people, it would probably be small gatherings, but in case it does grow it might be worth getting a homestead.

i suggest that you get into the social/hangout/club business slowly

rather than tier up bigly to begin with, I suggest renting a commercial purposes parcel on a private estate where the estate owner is ok with this activity, and see how it goes

31 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i suggest that you get into the social/hangout/club business slowly

rather than tier up bigly to begin with, I suggest renting a commercial purposes parcel on a private estate where the estate owner is ok with this activity, and see how it goes

Great advice! Yes that was my plan, to have the prices in mind as I go slowly with it :) Much appreciated :)))

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.