MALE playing female? Is it frowned upon?

Sisil String

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, SassySam87 said:

I think I read somewhere that 6 in 10 women on SL were men behind the screen. Probably an outdated/inaccurate statistic, but I don't think you're alone in what you're doing.

Personally i have only met 8 guys playing SL as women (not all gay) during the years that i have been playing so i don't think the numbers are so high..

Maybe in sex related regions there are much more of course but i don't know about those and never cared.

5 of them were chill enough to say in their profiles that they were males. 2 would tell you during a conversation and only 1 was sneaky using voice morphing until one day it didn't work and everyone listened to him talking normally. I can assure you real women made a joke of him much more than most of us did because they were "supposedly" friends who shared their secrets so they felt that they were manipulated.

Edited by Nick0678
  • Haha 1

I asked some folks why they like to be a female avatar here are some answers:

- They have way more customization than guys
- They have breasts, and butt and a meow between their legs even more customization and jiggly wiggly motions
- The power balance has steered towards the female specimen
- They can all go to the toilet/bathroom and have long chats without sexual interactions
- Associated with cute stuff like cakes with moustaches
- They are smart and have a degree from i have a degree institute
- They can act out as secret agents  with skin tight outfits
- They like to pose with pouts and lean against palm trees to kiss the sun's rays

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Zeotetra said:

I asked some folks why they like to be a female avatar here are some answers:
- Associated with cute stuff like cakes with moustaches

I feel bad for all the guys whose masculinity prevents them from enjoying cakes with moustaches. Meanwhile me and my girl friends are all enjoying nightly moustache cake parties totally oblivious to our privilege. 🥳

• Like 3

The world revolves around girl's because a girl someday becomes a mother, and then they can wave their finger, give you that look you know the look you did something wrong.
Even the big mens cannot do much when the mothers are there damn you mothers!

Btw i love my mother she is a female and sometimes i think she is an alien too 🤗

• 3 weeks later...

When the deception is to involve getting money from someone it is actually FRAUD. 

When the deception is just to live a fantasy that's all fine and good.. but when you share fake real life pictures, use a voice modifier, and give out a fake male life story to get your land paid for, clothes bought for you and money sent to you in real life after 3 years of friendship because "the covid cheque hasnt come in yet and I have no food".. that's FRAUD. 

Yes I have already contacted the appropriate people in Brazil (the catfishers country of origin) and Linden labs has also said they will cooperate fully with any formal investigations.

Thanks to all those with genuine responses and to the rest.. well.. use your imagination. 

5 hours ago, NurseSparkle said:

When the deception is to involve getting money from someone it is actually FRAUD. 

When the deception is just to live a fantasy that's all fine and good.. but when you share fake real life pictures, use a voice modifier, and give out a fake male life story to get your land paid for, clothes bought for you and money sent to you in real life after 3 years of friendship because "the covid cheque hasnt come in yet and I have no food".. that's FRAUD. 

Yes I have already contacted the appropriate people in Brazil (the catfishers country of origin) and Linden labs has also said they will cooperate fully with any formal investigations.

Thanks to all those with genuine responses and to the rest.. well.. use your imagination. 

I'm sorry for what happened to you.

There's only so much LL can do, such as banning the offender. But part of the responsibility does rest on us as users to protect ourselves. That doesn't just apply in SL but in every other parts of our lives.

Generally, just don't give money to anyone you only know online.

This is a rp platform. If you are more comfortable in a female avatar then own it! Your not here to get approval or justify yourself, your here to have fun and have a different experience then you can in rl and that is exactly what rp is all about. Learn to be comfortable using the unfriend and mute functions when needed and don't let folks make you feel like you don't belong. Even head off the haters by putting it in your profile so your explaining it less. If you want to voice, then voice. If you don't want to voice then don't. Your here for you ... everyone has the ability to do and be what they like, so do you. I have known many people that rp the opposite gender in sl. Their gender reversals don't hinder anyone, so people that want to hate, give a wave as the door hits them in the rear end. 

• Like 2

Chiming in late (as per usual!) but here's my take: Although the first avatars I created were male (like me), Vanity Fair is now my main avatar.

I don't catfish; I make it clear who I am in my profile (and I link to my blog), and I also make it very clear I am not looking for sex or a relationship.

Here's a blogpost I wrote about it back in January this year, and why the ability to be anybody (or anything) you want to be in Second Life is one of the platform's strengths:

https://ryanschultz.com/2020/01/05/editorial-will-facebook-horizon-succeed-if-you-cant-be-anybody-but-yourself-what-fourteen-years-of-second-life-has-taught-me/

(For example, in Facebook Horizon, your avatar will be linked to your real-life Facebook profile. For that reason alone, I predict that it won't be very popular among SL folks.)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.