Problem Neighbors - what to do?

KOOKOOPI

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Who do I complain to about a difficult neighbor? I received a very rude IM from someone I have never met complaining something about leaves... i think the exact words were "tree flowers" WTH? Just one rude line about me having to move something. No intro, no please, no specifics on the issue like location, didn't even bother to say which of three neighboring houses she was in! 

There are better ways to ask things! The way you approach things will have a good deal to do with how it gets settled.

Upon inspecting my garden I see that the neighbor is in fact in clear violation of her property boundaries.

I want to nip this in the bud and have whoever the powers that be for policing such things come and settle this immediately. I put a lot of time and money and effort into creating a lovely home - but if i have to put up with a shrew for a neighbor, I'd rather just move. Can someone resolve this? I will tey but one read of this persons profile will let you know why I don't think it will go away on my say so *rolleyes*

FREE SL TIP = If you write NO DRAMA in your profile, don't engender it!

• Like 1

update - I forgot that this house is my alts, a male alt. Which makes a lot of sense after reaaaaading my neighbors male-hating profile.

Will she relent about imaginary tree-flowers when she learns that I am a mini-penguin avatar? Kookoopi

1 minute ago, KOOKOOPI said:

I just need to know where/how to report, please - I guess my original question got buried in there, but its there! TX

right click the avatar or profile, and report. Be to the point, and add the violation you think is breached, no emotional observations, for exmple, being rude or blunt isn't reportable, but harrasment is. (LL can check the logs what happened.)

be sure there is reall something to report, just that you take a remark as rude, is hardly a reason to bother support, and they won't come between two residents that ave a minor disagreement, and my first answer will be best help.

But again... do you spread leaves on other parcels? .. because in that case yóu can be reported and your item removed by support.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, KOOKOOPI said:

I just need to know where/how to report, please - I guess my original question got buried in there, but its there! TX

@KOOKOOPI, here is antoher LM, besides the great advice Alwin is mentioning

https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new

You can also contact support via chat, it works really well

https://support.secondlife.com/start-chat/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KOOKOOPI said:

Who do I complain to about a difficult neighbor? I received a very rude IM from someone I have never met

I want to nip this in the bud and have whoever the powers that be for policing such things come and settle this immediately. I put a lot of time and money and effort into creating a lovely home - but if i have to put up with a shrew for a neighbor, I'd rather just move. Can someone resolve this?

Sorry, but LL will not get involved in Resident to Resident disputes.  You can open a Support ticket and complain about a neighbor, but if the only reason for the complaint is the rude IM, you won't get anything done by LL for it.  

As Alwin said, the easiest way to handle people that you don't want to deal with is to simply put them on your block list.  They can IM you all day after that and you'll never see the IMs. Blocking also prevents them from giving you things like Notecards and such.

If you do have a tree that drops flower petals or leaves, just be sure it is only dropping in your own parcel.

Upon inspecting my garden I see that the neighbor is in fact in clear violation of her property boundaries.

If a neighbor has things outside their property lines, you can submit an AR.  The Abuse Report is a menu option, under Help, I think.  However, also note that if something like flowers/trees are only a bit outside of the parcel, and not encroaching on someone else's parcel or interfering with pathways, etc... then LL may not do anything.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KOOKOOPI said:

Who do I complain to about a difficult neighbor? I received a very rude IM from someone I have never met complaining something about leaves... i think the exact words were "tree flowers" WTH? Just one rude line about me having to move something. No intro, no please, no specifics on the issue like location, didn't even bother to say which of three neighboring houses she was in! 

There are better ways to ask things! The way you approach things will have a good deal to do with how it gets settled.

I want to nip this in the bud and have whoever the powers that be for policing such things come and settle this immediately. I put a lot of time and money and effort into creating a lovely home - but if i have to put up with a shrew for a neighbor, I'd rather just move. Can someone resolve this? I will tey but one read of this persons profile will let you know why I don't think it will go away on my say so *rolleyes*

Honestly, your own post here sounds pretty dramatic. If you have a tree encroaching over the property line, just move it. If, as Lil suggested, you have particle "leaves" blowing over the property line, correct that. I don't see the need to start a Hatfield vs McCoys feud over this. 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 9
  • Confused 1

Just now, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Honestly, your own post here sounds pretty dramatic. If you have a tree encroaching over the property line, just move it. If, as Lil suggested, you have particle "leaves" blowing over the particle line, correct that. I don't see the need to start a Hatfield vs McCoys feud over this. 

dramatic AND confusing.. If there is any AR'able violation in any of this  then make sure your abuse report is clear and concise  and points directly to the relevant violation

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• Moles
9 hours ago, KOOKOOPI said:

There's a Knowledge Base article on how to file Abuse Reports you might find helpful:

Also, Abnor Mole recently provided some very useful tips on what sort of things you need to include, and what you need to avoid, in your report:

10 hours ago, KOOKOOPI said:

My free SL tip:  in my experience, the words "No Drama" in someone's profile usually mean the complete opposite. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Examine your own land with a strong read of the covenant to make sure you are 100% within the rules.

If the neighbor's plot is not... quietly AR the offending part without a word and without any reference to any conflicts between you. There IS still a chance that the lindens will not act BECAUSE there was a personal conflict - but if you never responded to the neighbor, hopefully they will deal with any actual violations.

You can also consider moving...

Lindens homes are mostly easy to get... though you might not get the quality of spot - you might manage to avoid the problem person...

An AR will not get rid of the neighbor, just any covenant violations they have. So if things have hit the drama stage, moving is best. If the other person began with drama before you'd ever had any encounter with them... the chances of de-escalating that are not good... It is best to not engage at all with such a person.

Moles and lindens have responded a few times in the Crazy Neighbors thread over how best to make a report that will get acted on - what to put in there, what to not report about... etc...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

thanks for your help everyone.

I WOULD NOT MAKE THIS POST IF I HAD LEAVES OR ANY THING AT ALL INFRINGING ANYWHERE.

i dont want to report anyone, i simply want to know how to do if this escalates.

11 -- eleven years in sl and i never had anyone approach me once like this. I will ignore the negative comments and be grateful for the helpful and constructive ones. 

TY

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

right click the avatar or profile, and report. Be to the point, and add the violation you think is breached, no emotional observations, for exmple, being rude or blunt isn't reportable, but harrasment is. (LL can check the logs what happened.)

be sure there is reall something to report, just that you take a remark as rude, is hardly a reason to bother support, and they won't come between two residents that ave a minor disagreement, and my first answer will be best help.

But again... do you spread leaves on other parcels? .. because in that case yóu can be reported and your item removed by support.

I DO NOT SPREAD LEAVES ON ANY OTHER PROPERTY 

Why would i make this public if i was violating any rules myslef?

Thank you for your helpful comments. I am sure this blow over with a muting.

Edited by KOOKOOPI

I suggested you re-examine your own property first because it's always the best thing to do before going after someone, is to re-examine in fine detail and make sure you have yourself in order so you're not open to a drama-filled counter attack.

It can be useful to make a regular habit of examining your build for issues.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KOOKOOPI said:

I DO NOT SPREAD LEAVES ON ANY OTHER PROPERTY 

Why would i make this public if i was violating any rules myslef?

Thank you for your helpful comments. I am sure this blow over with a muting.

Your tendency to shout in here makes me wonder if there is more to the story. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Honestly, your own post here sounds pretty dramatic. If you have a tree encroaching over the property line, just move it. If, as Lil suggested, you have particle "leaves" blowing over the property line, correct that. I don't see the need to start a Hatfield vs McCoys feud over this. 

Sylvia, I am so disappointed, i have read so many of your threads that were very helpful and friendly... Perhaps you should reread my post. There are no particle leaves on her lawn. 

I also said I am happy to move anything that is an issue, preferably the old fashioned way and not by appealing to LL. i wish to know how to do it in the event I need it.  Don't know why

my inquiries inspired such a negative response from you. But then maybe you consider it dramatic of me to reply? I just wanted to share my disappointment as I found you to be a major

contributer on these forums and a reason I keep reading them (in my older avatar) even though I have not posted before.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I suggested you re-examine your own property first because it's always the best thing to do before going after someone, is to re-examine in fine detail and make sure you have yourself in order so you're not open to a drama-filled counter attack.

It can be useful to make a regular habit of examining your build for issues.

I have done this multiple times both during the build and after the IM. I am  extremely conscientious. This is good advice in general and for us all. But please rest assured, i am not my avatars age nor some hothead who runs before thinking. I am asking this question on this forum becuase i have already done my due diligence. That is why i am very surprised at this neighbor who does not seem to understand the property tool herself and has clearly not inspected her own land before starting an issue. I could care less what happens on her land. She cares about mine but isnt really using a proper method of addressing it or of managing her own affairs. This indicates to me someone hard to deal with and I asked this question in order to prepare for any outcome. 

Edited by KOOKOOPI
typos

10 hours ago, KOOKOOPI said:

I WOULD NOT MAKE THIS POST IF I HAD LEAVES OR ANY THING AT ALL INFRINGING ANYWHERE.

You might be misunderstanding what the issue is or possibly you don't know how to actually see your parcel boundaries.  

Here is a picture of one of your trees at your SW corner.  While the entire trunk is in your parcel, the branches are most definitely outside the parcel -- the red line is your parcel boundary.  Additionally, the gold leaf shaped spots truly are leaves falling from the tree branches. Therefore, for the branches hanging outside your parcel, your tree is indeed dropping leaves outside of your parcel.  
temp1.jpg.d17d69a850459755818f82a33059be9f.jpg

In fact, almost every tree you have is hanging over your property lines and one tree is right on the property line.  Additionally, your front pergola is way over your property line.  In the following picture showing your property lines and landscaping, I have derendered all of the Mole planted items to more easily show how much of your stuff is over your properly lines. The INNER red lines are your parcel boundaries and everything in the picture is your stuff.

temp2.jpg.9ab2f186c9a937966f7aae26ab011bfc.jpg

And a few more pictures showing the problem:

temp3.JPG.c5a48d7de96d0797ef415a6a7fab7e3d.JPG

temp4.JPG.60ef073cdf2daca91bf63405ccef5579.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.