What are you listening to?

2 hours ago, Ina Fairport said:

Oldie Goldie
Brings back memories :)

Indeed.  The 70's marked a sea change in popular music. Something happened to music in the years after Jim Croce died.

Operator (That's Not The Way It Feels)  --  Jim Croce

7233570295620dc6d4e735c8b6320418.png

• Like 2

love  love love  😍😍😍

Now where did i put my shoulder pads and mink hair spray  .....the  80s...  good times,,,,,,

Edited by roseelvira
looking for my shoulder pads and my mink hair spray

9 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I admit that I listen to some pretty strange music, but I have no idea what I just heard here.  I both love it and hate it.

Thanks for sharing something different and new to me.

This live clip is from 1979 and in Europe, Nina Hagen is an rock icon. She IS a bit alien but extremely talented and has a rare voice that can go from male bass to female mezzo soprano. She grew up in East Germany (before the wall was torn down). Her paternal grandfather Hermann Carl Hagen, who was Jewish, was murdered at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp on 28 May 1942, at age 56. Hedwig Elise Caroline Staadt, Nina's paternal grandmother, was also murdered at Sachsenhausen. Her mother Eva Maria Hagen was also well known as an actress and singer, and she grew up with the repertoire of Kurt Weil and Berthold Brecht. She had her greatest fame in the 1970s and 1980s. She also learnt classical singing in the theatre where her mother performed. A classical singer taught her and said, "You just have to pretend to yawn and then put power from your belly. And she did and then she could do it. She became notorious in Germany when she told a live show how a female orgasm works (because she was annoyed that it was only about male lust) - but she is at the same time hugely religious, though liberal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

Her mother Eva Maria Hagen was also well known as an actress and singer, and she grew up with the repertoire of Kurt Weil and Berthold Brecht.

And for those who are wondering who the heck are Kurt Weil and Bertold Brecht.

Well outside Europe and in the States their music is known because their music is sang by Marianne Faithfull, David Bowie, Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, The Doors and Sting to name a few.

This is the most known song Moritat von Mackie Messer, in English known as Mack the knife, the beginning of his Dreigrosschen Oper (Threepenny opera). I think this English version depicts the atmosphere of the relatively liberal Weimar times in Germany (Between the two world wars) most faithfull.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2