Profile picture

Neluna Sorbet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1330 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

56 minutes ago, Neluna Sorbet said:

Hey there. How do i make a 1024x1024 profile picture? All the pictures i upload and add are in 256x256 size.

That's just a limitation of the in-world profiles. They're always scaled down as far as I know.

My profile picture on the web profile (same as in-world) is 600x600, not sure if it can go higher than that.

8 hours ago, Neluna Sorbet said:

Hey there. How do i make a 1024x1024 profile picture? All the pictures i upload and add are in 256x256 size.

Open the snapshot window and select "Save to disk", then select the resolution at "1024 x 768".  Take the snapshot and choose where to save it (remember where it is!).

Then go yo your web profile at https://my.secondlife.com/, (it's easier to do this in your regular browser, not in the SL viewer) then click on the current pic of yourself to go to your settings page. Click on "Profile Picture" and upload your new one.

Uploading your snapshot to the web-profile rather than the viewer profile has two advantages; your pic won't get squashed to square, and it won't cost you L$10 to upload it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Profile pictures' aspect ratios varies from viewer to viewer. Firestorm uses 4:3, which is what people usually put their profile pictures in. You also don't generally want to go too high on the resolution as it's largely pointless; your profile picture will be a small image that people see when they open your profile, or on rare occasion enlarged - 512 x 384 is plenty (the adverse effect of using a too high resolution being that, especially in crowded / laggy sims, the image may be slow to load or completely fail to load, at which point it'll just appear gray, which may cause people to think that you simply have left it blank).

Also note that textures in SL are always uploaded as squares. So if you want to upload a 512 x 384 image, first stretch it to 512 x 512 in the photo manipulation program of your choice (Gimp, always should be Gimp!); SL will then push it to fit the 4:3 field and display it as a 512 x 384 image - SL does a poor job of scaling and stretching textures in general, so it's preferable to resize it first so that you only get that treatment once.

• Like 1

There is no way to win on the Profile picture.  If you create the picture using the old 4:3 ratio, which Firestorm still shows via Legacy Profiles, then it will look odd via the SL Viewer which shows the pictures as squares via the web profile.  If you create it as a square picture, then it will look odd to everyone that pulls up the profile via Firestorm.

Just pick your preferred poison and go with it.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Just pick your preferred poison and go with it.

... ... Or, you could make a prim in either 1:1 or 4:3, put the appropriate texture on it, attach it to your skull and just make it float over your head. Win-win!

• Haha 3

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, KaySyrah said:

I tried this no cost picture, got photo on webpage but not showing in world profile. Does this method still work?

I have a hunch that it's currently broken - I tried to change my alt's profile pic yesterday using the web-page and it never updated inworld. I ended up having to pay the upload fee as well.

7 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:
10 hours ago, KaySyrah said:

I tried this no cost picture, got photo on webpage but not showing in world profile. Does this method still work?

I have a hunch that it's currently broken - I tried to change my alt's profile pic yesterday using the web-page and it never updated inworld. I ended up having to pay the upload fee as well.

Or, as opposed to 'broken', maybe LL intentionally modified the process to only allow the update inworld to ensure they get their 10L.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

It's been awhile since I've tried updating a profile pic through the web-page, but for some reason, I'm wondering if it makes a difference as to which viewer is used in-world and whether it's the picture on a legacy profile or a web profile in the viewer that is, or is not,  getting updated. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1330 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.