Voice Verified?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The strange thing is,I don't role play either..I just communicate to people through their avatar..We could talk about anything in this world or the outside world.. I just like to keep immersed in this world as much as I can with where we are and the whole atmosphere..

Voice just removes that for me,I guess..

I don't like voice either, in SL.  It's probably because I became accustomed to the world being that way, and so it feels more real to me.

In VR However, I can feel very immersed even though voice is usually a part of VR worlds. 

8 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I always thought that one key reason why SL relationships can be so intense is because the most mundane and minor things become laden with so much meaning. Scores of strangers see my face and hear my voice every day (lucky them) and it means slightly less than bugger all. Yet in SL, these things are usually reserved for the most intimate circle, if they're bestowed at all. They become A Very Big Deal.

What kinds of mundane and minor things?

Could typing cause that? I've always experienced writing as causing me to go deeper, to access places not normally experienced in everyday life.

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

What kinds of mundane and minor things?

Seeing a face and hearing a voice. It means nothing in RL if a stranger sees or hears me, but for most people in SL, that's extremely intimate if it's ever allowed at all. It's one reason why relationships here can be so intense. Nobody says, "Oh my God, he heard me talk!" about their RL date. Well, maybe some smartarse has a "gotcha!" story about that but you know what I mean.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Seeing a face and hearing a voice. It means nothing in RL if a stranger sees or hears me, but for most people in SL, that's extremely intimate if it's ever allowed at all. It's one reason why relationships here can be so intense. Nobody says, "Oh my God, he heard me talk!" about their RL date. Well, maybe some smartarse has a "gotcha!" story about that but you know what I mean.

Yes I suppose intimacy is revealing or knowing more about another isn't it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes I suppose intimacy is revealing or knowing more about another isn't it?

In SL, we start off by knowing absolutely nothing except what the other person has chosen to present in their avatar. Everything past that is a gift because, as I think I've mentioned before, nobody is entitled to anyone's RL information. Not even if you volunteer your own. So the very smallest thing that wouldn't raise an eyebrow in RL can be absolutely loaded with meaning and intimacy here, and lend a hell of a lot of intensity as a result. (I'm a woman, can prove it! Huge deal! And yet over in RL, the bus driver could tell you that much about me!) 

And it's yet another reason why SL relationships really, really are not the same as RL ones and can't be held to the same standards.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

And it's yet another reason why SL relationships really, really are not the same as RL ones and can't be held to the same standards.

Well, I'd say they are the same, but that what can or cannot be revealed can differ -- between digital and non-digital worlds.

It would be interesting to find out just how much we believe what we've constructed for our avatar self in SL we imagine (both consciously and unconsciously) others are believing.

I remember knowing a couple of guys who were playing women in a SL group. But when we discovered they were actually male in RL this "ruined" the experience for them.  They really needed us to believe they were women in their world outside SL too. The creation of their fantasy RL self via fantasy play in SL was so important that even when we continued to address them as "she" and think of them as women in SL this was not enough for them (and I don't think it was trans issues in these 2, but it could be they were unaware).

Edited by Luna Bliss

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

SL was so important that even when we continued to address them as "she" and think of them as women in SL this was not enough for them

I think the more we reveal of our real selves to others, the more self-conscious and embarrassed we can become of the things we say and do.

They know that you know, and so will always feel that whatever they do as women, they will be judged as men playing the part. Just continuing to call them 'she' will make no difference to that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Can't say I am aware of ever hearing voice morphing. Is it robotic and laughable like listening to rappers and stuff? Should I turn sound on in SL? 🤔 

It heavily depends on the morph and your own vocal tones.

ETA: There are better options one could use as well, some that require a bit of set up.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

I do have a extremely high quality sound studio special effects unit which has absolute state of the art pitch shifting algorithms in it. (TC Electronic rack unit) But I've only ever used it on musical instrument signals. I presume that's what voice morphing is.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

I do have a extremely high quality sound studio special effects unit which has absolute state of the art pitch shifting algorithms in it. (TC Electronic rack unit) But I've only ever used it on musical instrument signals. I presume that's what voice morphing is.  

For most morphs, far less sophisticated but yes - it's more or less just pitch shifting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

How so?

If it's true, then it means LL is very happy to support and even encourage people to lie about their sex and falsify "proof". If it's true. Is it, anyone?

I'm told that even the best morphers aren't that brilliant, but I don't have a trained ear for these things. I've heard some of them and they'd definitely fool me.

1 hour ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

"You want to 'voice verify' me as a crusty ol' scotsman?"

Och nay, I dinna need ta verify!

Edited by Amina Sopwith

2 hours ago, wesleytron said:
2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

even when we continued to address them as "she" and think of them as women in SL this was not enough for them

They know that you know, and so will always feel that whatever they do as women, they will be judged as men playing the part. Just continuing to call them 'she' will make no difference to that.

Yes, I imagine you're right and most did think of them as 'men playing women' in SL after learning they were really men in RL. I can't totally remember my change in perception toward them as it was a number of years ago.
It's interesting though why this division so easily takes place when gender discrepancies arise, but would not take place when becoming aware of other differences between RL vs SL character portrayals. For example, if someone was playing a furry, billionaire, bank robber, or Viking we would not usually think of them as 'a RL person who was not X, but only playing X' but would likely be able to easily relate to them via their chosen presentation in SL. Likewise, the person portraying the role would not freak out and become unable to play that role anymore or feel it was "ruined" if the others discovered they were not really a billionaire, bank robber, or Viking.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:
3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

How so?

If it's true, then it means LL is very happy to support and even encourage people to lie about their sex and falsify "proof"

Well, maybe they are encouraging us to sound like the alien creatures they imagine us to be :)  We must think of all possibilities............

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well, maybe they are encouraging us to sound like the alien creatures they imagine us to be :)  We must think of all possibilities............

Our world, our imagination. I think it's fair to guess that they expect us mainly to be changing sex with it, though. Some might say that they're just looking for what's most likely to bring in paying Premium members, and they may well be right. But if it's true, then the fact would still remain that  LL has less than no problem with people morphing their voices to "prove" the wrong sex and indeed even enables it.

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's interesting though why this division so easily takes place when gender discrepancies arise, but would not take place when becoming aware of other differences between RL vs SL character portrayals. 

I said the same thing earlier. And if this thread proves anything, it's that some people really do feel very, very strongly about the matter. (Though some don't give a monkey's. These are the people who are probably better suited to SL relationships.)

1 minute ago, Amina Sopwith said:
13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Our world, our imagination. I think it's fair to guess that they expect us mainly to be changing sex with it, though. Some might say that they're just looking for what's most likely to bring in paying Premium members, and they may well be right. But if it's true, then the fact would still remain that  LL has less than no problem with people morphing their voices to "prove" the wrong sex and indeed even enables it.

I was just being silly...

But what do I think about this issue?  I don't really care what LL thinks about it....I only care that people attempt to be considerate and kind toward each other when establishing whatever relationship they manage (be it totally real within various fantasy elements present in SL, all fantasy, or some kind of combination).     Thinking it should be totally one way or the other, totally black or white, only invites hurt feelings.

7 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:
20 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's interesting though why this division so easily takes place when gender discrepancies arise, but would not take place when becoming aware of other differences between RL vs SL character portrayals. 

I said the same thing earlier. And if this thread proves anything, it's that some people really do feel very, very strongly about the matter. (Though some don't give a monkey's. These are the people who are probably better suited to SL relationships.)

You would not believe the intensity of hate in the conservative area where I live in RL.....they act as if Satan Herself was taking over the general populace if gender norms are not adhered to   :(     The religious stuff here is very strong.  Unfortunately some of these people end up in SL..

• Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.