Widows 7 blog post and system requirements

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1717 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

7 will lose it's place and people will have to move to windows 10 (or what ever there is next) 

There isn't a next. The move to Windows as a service is what convinced me to go ahead and make the jump. There's no waiting for Windows 11 to bring back XP, future versions of Windows are the twice a year feature updates to 10.

He may be talking about those little game apps that show up in the start menu after an install and SOME updates.  If so, yes, those are mildly annoying but they are hardly debilitating and they are now easy to remove.  I had some H8 for them when they were hard to remove but got over it quickly.

18 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I must be doing something right/wrong then i've been using Windows 10 for getting close to a year since my Windows 7 machine died never had a single Ad come up

Y'know, I've never noticed one either, but today I see in the Start menu there's a "Suggested" entry (just after the "Most used" entries and before the alphanumeric listing). It suggests "AVG Download Center / Click to install / Free" ... is this what I'm supposed to be getting exercised about?  I mean, I hate AVG, and I'm a little surprised Microsoft makes enough from this to be worth somebody's time to even decide to do it, but I'm also not seeing this as a grave threat to my desktop computing experience, such as it is.

I've now got Lubuntu dual-booting alongside Windows 7. It's kinder to my 10-year old tower than Windows 7 :) 

Singularity beta installed and ran straight away, Firestorm needed libGLU but then ran fine. I managed to find unison to take the place of windiff, I've got the web-browsers there, storm in a teacup over.

One thing I'm really going to miss though is the monthly bloat as more and more windows updates piled up and swallowed up the space on my C drive. (Bill and Ted NOT)

Oh, and one other note from the months I've been experimenting with Linux on a much older and lower spec machine: although there are more frequent software updates, they take far less time than windows did, and far fewer restarts are needed after the installation.

3 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I've now got Lubuntu dual-booting alongside Windows 7. It's kinder to my 10-year old tower than Windows 7 :) 

Singularity beta installed and ran straight away, Firestorm needed libGLU but then ran fine. I managed to find unison to take the place of windiff, I've got the web-browsers there, storm in a teacup over.

One thing I'm really going to miss though is the monthly bloat as more and more windows updates piled up and swallowed up the space on my C drive. (Bill and Ted NOT)

Oh, and one other note from the months I've been experimenting with Linux on a much older and lower spec machine: although there are more frequent software updates, they take far less time than windows did, and far fewer restarts are needed after the installation.

Heck, even on a "rolling release" type variant like Manjaro, those restarts are much less common. Unless you are updating the kernel or graphics drivers there really isn't much need to restart. mind there are rare bits of software that will require a restart after update/install but yeah ... not nearly as often.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1717 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.