how can she know i have 2 accounts

MillieTG

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

Was it a DJ?  They get your IP when you listen to their stream.  

They get - from their perspective - an IP. Nothing more. 

Good luck connecting that to an individual avatar...

The systems mentioned in this thread all used additional data points to aid their guesswork, a DJ has only one real data point to go by. 

• Thanks 1

Well... the thing about parcel audio is that a lot of folks have that turned on to auto-play when they arrive at a new parcel. Like, the vast majority of folks have their viewers set that way. So that means a DJ could monitor the coming and going of avatars on the region at the same time they're monitoring IP addresses connecting and disconnecting from their stream. This might not give a confident result on the first occasion, and for some folks it will never be a confirmed hit, but it's very possible.

Now, an IP address match isn't rock-solid evidence that both accounts are being run by the same RL people. (Of course it's also possible to mask one's "true" IP address, but it's a lot easier to just not connect to any streams.) For stronger evidence of a match, a Shared Media connection might be able to get more "signature" data about the connected machine's configuration. (I've never actually tried that myself, and I don't know how much can happen without the user explicitly allowing use of their external browser, so maybe that's not a real threat vector.)

[ETA: Of course this all assumes you're using a trustworthy viewer. Any unapproved viewer could do practically anything -- but in that case the risk is so enormous that discovery of an alt identity would be the very least concern.]

Edited by Qie Niangao

MillieTG should have simply denied everything the accuser was saying. Just imagine what an person would say if they accused you of being some random avatar standing next to you.  "My IP address matches with another avatar? I'm on a very large internet provider! Where does that IP say I live? I don't live there. I don't know who that other avatar is except what I see on their profile. Those details you've given me don't mean anything because I'm not that person. I think it's dangerous for you to link two strangers together as if they were one. No, there isn't anyone else using SL in my house and I only have one alt which is not that avatar you mentioned."

The lie will set you free. 

5 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

HOW they know likely has something to do with you, as per most of the other posts here.

Why do you care that they know?

This was my question too. Most people I know don’t care anything about your alts unless there’s some reason to. There are exceptions of course but generally. I’ve only gotten mad and called out someone’s alt when a couple of people have bugged me using an alt after I’ve clearly told them to leave me alone. 

On 12/19/2019 at 11:37 AM, Solar Legion said:

While somewhat true (they have no way of knowing if it is just someone sharing your computer or not if going just by IP/MAC) the average user is likely going to fill out the Name and Address fields as well as giving them the same e-mail they used for their original/other accounts so "unless you tell them" is rather moot for the average user.

Even then it could be somebody else actually using the account.

On 12/20/2019 at 6:21 AM, Qie Niangao said:

So that means a DJ could monitor the coming and going of avatars on the region at the same time they're monitoring IP addresses connecting and disconnecting from their stream.

Yeah, several viewer and script options to mark timing of arrival and departure. 

Rezzing your alts' furniture in your rental is a common clue too.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.